We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 48 Posts
    Digital Butter - MODX Premiere Partners Reply #11, 13 years, 4 months ago
    Awesome thread, great to see lots of people working on different solutions.

I’ll be sure to post here when we finish up our code-jam experiment, hopefully with something useful to share.
      • 147 Posts
      Hey, sound good start. Probably you found someone who’s doing it already or PM me if not. In any case subscribed this thread so it would be nice to hear when it’s ready when someone else is doing it already:)
        • 48 Posts
        Digital Butter - MODX Premiere Partners Reply #13, 13 years, 3 months ago
        Guys - we’re around 75% the way through our code jam. It’s been fun and UpFront is starting to look quite nice.

Follow the progress here: http://bit.ly/gzoXy2
          • 284 Posts
          Hi all frontend-editor-developers,

it’s great to hear that there’s going to be a bunch of packages. But the other side - which of them will be updated? Which of them should I choose?
          I think one good frontend editor would be more than enough for MODx.
          Maybe you could put your codes and features together and build one major excellent frontend editor?
            MODX Free Template Base: MODX-Boilerplate | my blog (lots of MODX stuff) | my gitHub (translations) | MODX User Groups Germany (Facebook)
            • 172 Posts
            Quote from: smooth-graphics at Jan 08, 2011, 10:58 AM

I think one good frontend editor would be more than enough for MODx.
            Maybe you could put your codes and features together and build one major excellent frontend editor?

Two problems here, I think.

Firstly, a minor point, but I suspect that the term ’front end editor’ could mean a number of things to different people. Do you want something that mimics the backend editor, QuickManager style? I don’t, but you might. Do you want something thats easily templated to match exactly what you want the user to edit? I do, but you might just want a no-hassle plugin like QuickManager and not be bothered about templating. Do you want a document tree? What about your permissions system? Do you see the editor as a ’web page’ editor or an editor for items in the document tree which may not always be actual ’pages’ as such - this may affect just how you implement such an editor - for example a purely QuickManager style editor would not be much use for editing resources that are not web pages.

Admittedly I think these are minor points, as if an editor is templatable and flexible it could probably cope with all of the above. For example, although my ResourceEditor snippet does not seek to mimic QuickManager, it certainly could - if you templated it so, and wrote the required javascript. Trouble is that flexibility comes at the cost of you have to do more of the work yourself!

Secondly there are two MODx ’branches’ now. My own ResourceEditor is for Evolution. Whilst not impossible to write one project for both branches, its more work, and at the moment I have no personal incentive to code for Revolution. If someone else wants to port it, whether to fork it, or whether to port successive versions as I develop them, then great, but at the moment it won’t be me.

I will be continuing to develop ResourceEditor, as I have the rather big incentive that I use it myself on commercial sites. Suggestions and feedback always welcome.

ResourceEditor is at http://modxcms.com/extras/package/?package=748

-- Tim.

• 1,336 Posts
              Yep, it’s difficult to get one solution here, I put Frontpage together because it’s what I will need for some future Revo work, it deliberately doesn’t try and pull the whole backend into the front, if you want this just login to the manager.

This won’t suit all peoples usages by a long chalk but its a start and hopefully as has been the case it will spur on others to create packages that do what they see as a front end editing solution. I can see Revo eventually having a selection of packages here that should suit most usage cases.
                Use MODx, or the cat gets it!
                • 24,544 Posts
                Agreed. NewsPublisher (now available in package manager) is one solution, but I’m sure it won’t meet every need.
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                  • 159 Posts
                  initial upfront is out
                  http://upfront.butter.com.hk/

Bob’s initial NewsPublisher is out.
                  ResourceEditor is out there.. (for evo ,but still)

you guys are awesome.. tongue
                    Michael Shraibman( gOmp)  | Freelance Design & Development | wink  impossible is nothing...
                    • 147 Posts
                    Quote from: gOmp at Jan 08, 2011, 03:19 PM
                    (for evo ,but still)

It’s for Revo.
                      • 159 Posts
                      Quote from: e-stonia at Jan 08, 2011, 04:11 PM

Quote from: gOmp at Jan 08, 2011, 03:19 PM
                      (for evo ,but still)
                      It’s for Revo.
                      I meant Only ResourceEditor as said in the Repo.
                      http://modxcms.com/extras/package/?package=748
                      "Works with: Evolution-1.0.5"
                        Michael Shraibman( gOmp)  | Freelance Design & Development | wink  impossible is nothing...