We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,495 Posts
    Ryan, I have to agree on this user resource that need to accomodate a good documentation, especially considering the amount of releases that we have in one year wink. So with that in mind, because I started the proposal, so I will try to assist with an idea to solve this limited resources.

I believe we already have the user integration between the forum and MODx system done. So why don’t we have a dedicated group to manage the docs. As for now, we dont have any revision in place yet, which means that we need to wait for the next couple releases, but at least we need to do something now, to start gathering as much documentation as possible. The, why don’t we take a risk by providing certain trsuted users, who already prove themselve worthy to participate in this documetnation effort. We might not have the revision, but we can trust the person who join the group. If they messed up the documentation, than that’s the risk, but the possibilty for this trustworthy users to messed up the documentation is much smaller compare to the amount of documentation that we can have in the long run.

For this, we actually need to choose the right leader to handle this documentation effort together. WIth the right leader, I believe we can have the right group of people. And no worries, by having a commenting system, the other users can participate in improving the docs.

As far as the integration effort, I would propose this to be done, to show the real flexibility of MODx to the world as well. Good for marketing stand point, don’t you think? wink

So what do you guys think? FYI, this the first open source community that I ever join, the second one mught phorum. But do you guys know the reason why I want to join this community? It’s not because of the software itself, but it’s because of the huge amount of documentation that MODx has, before I even started to try MODx. This documentation really help a newbie like me to get started without afraid getting lost in the middle of nowhere due to the lack of information or documentation. The other thing is of course the community wink.

Hope I get my message accross. I just want us to have the best open source system with a well structured docs and teams.
      Wendy Novianto
      [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
      [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
      • 145 Posts
      Quote from: Djamoer at Jan 30, 2006, 04:30 PM

I just want us to have the best open source system with a well structured docs and teams.

I second that.
        Kunal Kapoor
        Technical Director
        Limesharp Internet Limited - Effective, Functional, Standards Compliant

IRC Nick: KingKoopa
        Skype ID: KingKoopa16
        • 205 Posts
        Yep, I will third it..

Nice to see over 75% of voters do not want documentation turned into a Wiki, makes me happy anyway
        • Let’s get started then!
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 1,495 Posts
            Quote from: rthrash at Jan 30, 2006, 04:48 PM

Let’s get started then!

nice call grin
            So I think you need to arange the team. I will vote for Mark. I think he knows a lot about SMF integration and SMF API. I also know that he has the ability and willingness to get the job done and RIGHT!. Right Mark? grin
              Wendy Novianto
              [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
              [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
              • 3,250 Posts
              Right! --- as soon as Finals are over (end of this week)!

So, is this the final decision?:

Add SMF_UserComments at the bottom of each documentation article in the style of php.net with BBcode for formatting and an RSS feed for updates.

Have an "Unofficial Wiki" for users to write documentation and if an article is deemed worthy it gets put onto the main MODx Documentation site by hand (no automation).

Is that everything?

• 145 Posts
                Quote from: Mark at Jan 30, 2006, 08:13 PM

Have an "Unofficial Wiki" for users to write documentation and if an article is deemed worthy it gets put onto the main MODx Documentation site by hand (no automation).

I don’t think the Wiki is required. The rest sounds OK though. I wouldn’t mind the auto PDF creating thingy too. That sounds good! Otherwise, I think that’s everything. Anyone else like to confirm?
                  Kunal Kapoor
                  Technical Director

• I say skip the wiki too... we could turn open a "pending documentation" folder, too where everyone could be allowed to create an article and if it all was up to snuff, we could then move it to the mainline docs by the documentation team. Solves all the problems! laugh
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                    • 3,975 Posts
                    Just use KISS wink ... and I am all for it laugh

regards,

zi
                      Zaigham R - MODX Professional | Skype | Email | Twitter

Digging the interwebs for #MODX gems and bringing it to you. modx.link
                      • 145 Posts
                      In relation to this topic, I’d like to get Susan’s point of view on this.
                        Kunal Kapoor
                        Technical Director