We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Looks very nice.

Though the way it jumps around the text ticks me off a bit, STAND STILL!! lol
      Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
      • 44 Posts
      you can pin it, with the little pin. or disbale that behaviour when calling... i think
        • 1,572 Posts
        WOW shocked
          • 44 Posts
          this is the sort of thing that SELLS your work to clients. they don’t care how vigorously you hum and smile while coding the extra features or how easy it is to template the site.

they run very fast and far away when they can’t use something that is as easy as facebook/google/flickr...

i showed a trimmed down, beautified and limited modx revo backend, laid out neatly for someone recently and their comment was: i think we will stick with pagelime

so there. in fact check out pagelime.com if you haven’t already. that is what the average small-medium site owner loves - simplicity, easy, easy, easy way of doing things. with modx revo we are still far from it, but moving fast.

so features like inline-editing, image upload & cropping/editing, repeating items on pages, etc. are very important to gain popularity. look at wordpress. its the simple, easy backend for site owners that made it popular mainly.

revo has some great things coming on roadmap, like customized manager frontpage etc. but also front-end editing needs to improve massively. i am sure there are a few devs who have done some commercial front end editors/features inhouse for their clients. would be nice to get something like that going public though..

lets make modx easier for end users people!
            • 1,336 Posts
            Looks Ok this, backend save is an AJAX call, the repository thing looks interesting also it seems to suggest you could draw a revo resource tree in the front end, need to look at this more. Attached is a piccy of Aloha used in Frontpage rather than TinyMCE, I’ll raise a ticket on this for Frontpage integration, using this in its multiple instance mode would make the layout in the colorbox much better.
              Use MODx, or the cat gets it!
              • 44 Posts
              Quote from: shamblett at May 17, 2011, 08:00 AM

Looks Ok this, backend save is an AJAX call, the repository thing looks interesting also it seems to suggest you could draw a revo resource tree in the front end, need to look at this more. Attached is a piccy of Aloha used in Frontpage rather than TinyMCE, I’ll raise a ticket on this for Frontpage integration, using this in its multiple instance mode would make the layout in the colorbox much better.

I think the whole point would be to get rid of the modal content editing window (or have it as an option that you can choose) and have a proper inline-editing way of editing in frontend. Say you would log into frontend and have the flyout top menu (like the "frontpage" component) for things like:

-saving
              -copying
              -organizing (modal window with modx resource tree? with resource settings like publish date/published status, etc.)
              -TV editor (say another modal window with manager-like tabs for editing TVs).

You could then assign in the backend which TVs are editable via TV menu and which are to be edited inline using CSS id’s. Not sure where would make the most sense to have a setting like that though, I am still new to MODx...

that would be extremely powerful.
                • 1,336 Posts
                Yes, at the mo its based on a chunk thats actually a form thats submitted, we could bin this and use seperate divs for the title etc and use multiple instances of Aloha to edit each one, with AJAX, much nicer.
                  Use MODx, or the cat gets it!
                  • 368 Posts
                  +1 for direct content editing on the page, whether implemented with Aloha or something else. That feature is the only reason I once considered Concrete5.
                    Jason
                    • 44 Posts
                    Quote from: shamblett at May 17, 2011, 02:27 PM

Yes, at the mo its based on a chunk thats actually a form thats submitted, we could bin this and use seperate divs for the title etc and use multiple instances of Aloha to edit each one, with AJAX, much nicer.

that sounds great!

Aloha is probably the most advanced (fastest, best documented, lightest) inline editor available right now. Jeditable is somewhat old...

Aloha also has a plugin system etc. seems like active community behind it too.
                      • 534 Posts
                      Nice plugin creation video about this nice piece of code: http://vimeo.com/16676414

would love to see this for frontend editing in modx revolution!

what I miss is the possibility to view the html-source (shouldn’t be a big problem to implement I think, but why wasn’t this done...)