We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Hello everyone,

Many well-known CMS (for example, Drupal) have some special features to manage multiple websites from one installation.
    Will it be planned to do in the future releases?
    I know some people from Russian community who are very interested in it and, I think, it might be very usefull for all developers.

Also my second big wish for MODx is the good multilanguage system.
    Sometimes it is hard to create the websites with 2-3 languages using MODx CMS. If the website has many webpages, unfortunately we need to split one MODx installation on two, three or even more installations (for example, www.lincomrealestate.com).

Regards,
    Igor.
      Разработка сайтов и программных модулей на MODX.
      Опыт работы на MODx с 2005 года. Высокое качество.
      Компания Baltic Design Colors: http://www.bdcolors.ru.
    • Quote from: Igor at May 23, 2008, 04:40 PM

Hello everyone,

Many well-known CMS (for example, Drupal) have some special features to manage multiple websites from one installation.
      Will it be planned to do in the future releases?
      I know some people from Russian community who are very interested in it and, I think, it might be very usefull for all developers.

Also my second big wish for MODx is the good multilanguage system.
      Sometimes it is hard to create the websites with 2-3 languages using MODx CMS. If the website has many webpages, unfortunately we need to split one MODx installation on two, three or even more installations (for example, www.lincomrealestate.com).

Regards,
      Igor.
      Both features will be accomplished through MODx Contexts in the upcoming 0.9.7 release, which is currently available in an early alpha state. See the following links for more information:

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,25764.0.html
      http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,17370.0.html
      • Quote from: OpenGeek at May 23, 2008, 06:03 PM

Both features will be accomplished through MODx Contexts in the upcoming 0.9.7 release, which is currently available in an early alpha state. See the following links for more information:

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,25764.0.html
        http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,17370.0.html

OpenGeek, thank you for the links, it is a very interesting smiley.
        Unfortuntely I didn’t fully understand the concept of "Context", but I hope it will help us to achieve the goals.
        How do you think when we can see the stable 0.9.7 realese?
          Разработка сайтов и программных модулей на MODX.
          Опыт работы на MODx с 2005 года. Высокое качество.
          Компания Baltic Design Colors: http://www.bdcolors.ru.
        • Quote from: Igor at May 23, 2008, 07:45 PM

OpenGeek, thank you for the links, it is a very interesting smiley.
          Unfortuntely I didn’t fully understand the concept of "Context", but I hope it will help us to achieve the goals.
          How do you think when we can see the stable 0.9.7 realese?
          We’re in alpha ATM, and though there has definitely been some interest and participation in testing by several folks, the development and documentation contributions have been minimal other than from a couple of developers. And because the scope of the changes to the core code is total, including a paradigm shift to an object-oriented approach, there are still some milestones to meet before we go stable and have all of the documentation and utilities necessary to help existing and new MODx adopters to create/migrate their sites to the basically new system.

My point is, the more participation we get in the alpha/beta release phases, the faster we will get to a stable public release of the new system. But we are likely a few more months away yet.
            • 4 Posts
              • 6 Posts
              can we offer something like blogspot and wpmu with this???
              but more than blog, each users can built the whole cms on their own...

let users register their website with address like:
              userchoosenaddress.ourwebsiteaddress.com
                • 7,075 Posts
                Quote from: MichaYu at May 24, 2008, 09:43 AM
                MSM tool is not just a wishful part of any serious CMS - it’s must-to-have module to all webdev&diz pros. Below are some links to examples of MSM modules in different systems:

I am curious : what are those links meant to be used for ? We are well aware multi-site is a feature of many CMS, most of whom have been around longer than MODx. There is a reason why multi-site was not included into the current branch, remember that 0.9.7 is a total core rewrite and as Jason said, multi-site is already built-in 0.9.7.

In fact - from what I understand - contexts are probably much more powerful than the mere "multi-site" concept since it encompasses multi-sites, multi-languages but also backend/frontend with the "web" and "manager" contexts. Keep in mind that you’ll be able to freely set up new context too, which will be in line with the "all-flexible" MODx paradigm.

Quote from: MichaYu
                In addition to the multisiting feature per se, it would be greate to see an integration with open source CRMs (SugarCRM etc.):

Quote from: dennyhalim at Jun 20, 2008, 01:35 AM
                can we offer something like blogspot and wpmu with this??? but more than blog, each users can built the whole cms on their own...
                let users register their website with address like:
                userchoosenaddress.ourwebsiteaddress.com

If someone sees the potential for this, my understanding is 0.9.7 API and underlying framework will make things even more easier for them to build this kind of integration smiley

.: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                  • 4 Posts
                  I am curious : what are those links meant to be used for ? We are well aware multi-site is a feature of many CMS, most of whom have been around longer than MODx. There is a reason why multi-site was not included into the current branch, remember that 0.9.7 is a total core rewrite and as Jason said, multi-site is already built-in 0.9.7.
                  Dear DavidM
                  I just tried to be clear and express the importance of the feature.
                  Second, there are some ways to realize MSM module (it may be, for example, Single Server MSM vs. Multiserver MSM).
                  Third, very few of CMS has an integration with CRM (i know Joomla and EZpublish has, but even Drupal hasn’t).
                  As a manager in big (25 sites\month) company, i know what i’m talking about.
                  BTW, there is no multisiting in Joomla yet, because it’s not a trivial feature.