We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8 Posts
    an integrated flash audio player with rss and playlist capabilities would be a fanstastic addition. drupal has such a player, but well... drupal’s a lot less user friendly when it comes to getting things to work with the personalized design you want. another feature i really like about drupal, and may be the reason i try to learn it better instead of going with modx is its ability to have an integrated store.
      • 4,213 Posts
      Why not just use players like wimpy that are freely available on the net and slam it to your page desing..? In your online store needs, you could take a look at ShopX. You can build a working online shop with that one. You have to work a little to achieve it though, no plug and play.

EDIT: Actually, wimpy is not free.. maybe someone can come up with a better solution, I don’t do players laugh

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
        • 8 Posts
        very true with the online store aspect... but as for the music player, the idea is to have it completely integrated with the cms. that way you can upload music through your backend administration page and have it automatically update playlists and such. if you’re using wimpy, you have to either do that manually or through another page/site.

here’s the free rss music player that drupal uses for its playlist module: http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/
          • 4,213 Posts
          Quote from: sir_thomas at Apr 12, 2006, 07:45 PM
          here’s the free rss music player that drupal uses for its playlist module: http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/
          It would be easy to use that. You could make the playlist file as a normal document in MODx and use the File Manager to upload your mp3 files.

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
            • 8 Posts
            good call. now if only that player wasn’t soo darn difficult to modify... i’ve tried to no prevail.
              • 4,213 Posts
              Just as a proof of consept, I put it together in few minutes, I love MODx! wink Look for a demo here.

No need to modify the player. Just upload the player to your webserver, embed it on some document, make the playlist with xml content type and attatchment disposition. Upload the mp3 files plus images if you need and you’re done! hmm.. I’ll just paste my code here if it helps you.

Downloaded the player and unpacked its content to assets/xspf_player. Put some songs to assets/songs and some cover pictures to assets/images.

Playlist document (ID 17)

• Uses template set to blank
              • Content Type set to text/xml
              • Content Disposition set to attachment
              Source:
              <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
              <playlist version="0" xmlns = "http://xspf.org/ns/0/">
                <trackList>
                 <track>
                  <location>[(site_url)]assets/songs/machinae supremacy - great gianna sisters.mp3</location>
                  <image>[(site_url)]assets/images/albumcovers_promo.jpg</image>
                  <annotation>Machinae Supremacy - Great Giana Sisters</annotation>
                 </track>
                 <track>
                  <location>[(site_url)]assets/songs/machinae supremacy - sidology episode 1 - sid evolution (128kbs).mp3</location>
                  <image>[(site_url)]assets/images/albumcovers_jng.jpg</image>
                  <annotation>Machinae Supremacy - Sidology Episode 1</annotation>
                 </track>
                 <track>
                  <location>[(site_url)]assets/songs/machinae supremacy - sidology episode 3 - apex ultima (128kbps).mp3</location>
                  <image>[(site_url)]assets/images/albumcovers_dxm.jpg</image>
                  <annotation>Machinae Supremacy - Sidology Episode 3</annotation>
                 </track>
                 <track>
                  <location>[(site_url)]assets/songs/machinae supremacy - Sidology 2 Trinity.mp3</location>
                  <image>[(site_url)]assets/images/albumcovers_redue.jpg</image>
                  <annotation>Machinae Supremacy - Sidology 2 Trinity</annotation>
                 </track>
                </trackList>
              </playlist>

Player document

Just a normal document with this in the source where you want the player to be:

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"
              codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0"
              width="400" height="168" >
                      <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain"/>
                      <param name="movie" value="[(site_url)]assets/xspf_player/xspf_player.swf"/>
                      <param name="quality" value="high"/>
                      <param name="bgcolor" value="#E6E6E6"/>
                      <param name="wmode" value="transparent"/>
                  <embed src="[(site_url)]assets/xspf_player/xspf_player.swf?playlist_url=[~17~]"
                  quality="high" bgcolor="#E6E6E6" name="xspf_player" allowscriptaccess="sameDomain"
                  type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
                  pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"
                  align="center" height="168" width="400" wmode="transparent"> </embed>
              </object>

• Note that I have [~17~] as the playlist url, because that was the ID of the playlist document.
              • I have also added <param name="wmode" value="transparent"/> to the params and wmode="transparent" to the embed src, because otherwise the flash would overlay my dropdown menu. You can remove them if you don’t need it.

It took me longer to write this post than to do it all laugh Go and have a go.. it’s easy!

EDIT: Playlist called using [~ID~]

• 8 Posts
                wow... awesome. now i’m really thinking there is absolutely no reason why i should be trying to learn drupal well enough to use it with my design. instead i should be spending that time figuring out how to port my design into a theme for modx (i’ve looked into this a bit already, but haven’t quite figure it out completely yet - but i think that’s the sleep deprivation and college finals push getting the best of me).

i’ve been working on a design for my band’s site... though at the moment i think i’m going to rework the entire look of it. after i spend some more time on my own trying to figure things out with themeing it i’ll start posting on it. until then, the slick and painless integration of the player is impressive.

what i was saying earlier in regards to modifying the player was in regards to the look of its interface. i’m kind of anal about how things i design or use in my designs look... and i just really don’t like the look of that player. it’s my attention to detail in my designs that is why i’ve been impressed so far with modx. though... on the available demo i don’t really like the look of the admin backend at the moment... but i read here in the forums that andreas has made a new theme for that... so i’m excited. and besides... backend design is far less important that getting things to look on the front end.
                  • 4,213 Posts
                  Quote from: sir_thomas at Apr 13, 2006, 12:43 AM

what i was saying earlier in regards to modifying the player was in regards to the look of its interface.
                  Yea, can’t help you with that sorry.. But I know that the look of it can be changed. You could also look at the other players that are on the net.. When doing a bit of googling earlier, I came acros this one and there’s an older version of it here (there’s also a link in the blog to another site with skins). Those can be integrated just as easily.

Quote from: sir_thomas at Apr 13, 2006, 12:43 AM

on the available demo i don’t really like the look of the admin backend at the moment... but i read here in the forums that andreas has made a new theme for that... so i’m excited. and besides... backend design is far less important that getting things to look on the front end.
                  I think that Andreas has done a template for the front-end though.. someone correct me if I’m wrong, really not 100% sure about it. But when the new version comes along with it’s fully themeable backend, I’m guessing that we’re gonna see many alternative templates for the backend too in the future.

• 1,495 Posts
                    Another way to approach this will be to use combination of TV and Newslisting snippet.

Go to your manager and create a new TV with a ’file’ as athe type for the TV, so you can upload music into it.
                    Now assign this to the template, lets say ’playlist-tpl’. You also need to have another plain mini-textarea TVassigned to this template with default value @INHERIT.

Now you need to make playlist-tpl template to be an empty template with mini-textarea TV tag on it, which is the one that we created above. Create a new folder called playlist. Assign this folder with template playlist-tpl. After that, inside the TV mini-textarea content, insert Newslisting snippet to list all the documents/folders under this parent folder, and ask the newslisting to ignore folder, and you also need to use a chunk template to output the document listing in certain format to match the XML output on that flash player playlist format (you might need to create a header and footer, and you might as well use pagetitle or longtitle to named your song artist, title, and etc). Now create a subfolder under this folder, lets call it album1 and make sure that you use the same template as above (you can use template parent inherit plugin, so this will be achieved automatically). Now under this subfolder, create a sub document, lets call it ’song1’, then on your file tv, upload your desired song mp3 file on it.

Now if you visit the playlist folder, you will have a list of all the songs from all the album that you have in the right xml playlist format for the flash player. If you visit the album1 folder, you will only get the list of all the songs under that album.

So now the next ste is to setup the flash player like what doze suggested. This way you can have a better structure of maintaining the songs.
                    Hope you find it useful.

PS: It’s just a prove of concept to show how powerful MODx is smiley
                      Wendy Novianto
                      [font=Verdana]PT DJAMOER Technology Media
                      [font=Verdana]Xituz Media
                      • 4,213 Posts
                      That’s sounded sleek Wendy! I haven’t quite entered the world of TV’s yet, I will definitely try to do that today.