We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2,204 Posts
    It would be nice to be able to switch of the posibility to enter the backand for a user.
    That way he/she is only able to edit with quikedit and does not get tempted to get wild in the manager.
    Simplicity: "QuickEdit" Mod-X Back2Basic
      follow me on twitter: @dimmy01
    • Dimmy I had exactly the same idea. It would be nice to perhaps have a dedicated Quick Edit session or create a QuickEdit webuser permission.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 2,204 Posts
        That would be a great option.
          follow me on twitter: @dimmy01
          • 680 Posts
          That is a good idea Dimmy. I’ll have to think over what the best way to achieve it would be. If we allowed webusers to edit documents it would require a decent bit of reworking to the permissions code in the module and in the core since you’d have to have a way for webusers to access modules.

I can think of a hacky way of getting it done bit it woudln’t be a good longterm solution. If you set up webusers and assigned them passwords and added some random characters of a certain length to the end. Example: mypassxxxx. And then hacked the Manager login snippet a bit to cut those characters off the end before authentication, they’d be able to login via the snippet but not the manager.

Then again you could always just not tell them that /manager exists. This is basically what we’re doing on our site now.

I’ll give this some though an let you know if I come up with any good ideas and you all can do the same.
            • 19 Posts
            Why not just dump the whole web user concept and have permissions like "enter backend" and "frontend editing"?
              • 680 Posts
              I’ve heard that there are plans to unify the manager users and webusers to a certain extent. I’m not sure exactly what’s planned. This probably hinges on some other changes to rols and such so that we could define a View Page role permission for selective documents.

It might actually be best to hold off on this until some of the permissions changes are made. I have a feeling that the new permissions system will be flexible enough that this could be a very simple feature to implement. Where if we did it now it could be complicated and a potential security hazard.
                • 1,732 Posts
                Hmmm

Adam,

Maybe something like a ManagerLogin snippet would do? smiley

As it relate to allowing users to only use Quick Edit we can add options to the user settings that allow them to be redirected to a webpage after they are logged in. This will prevent them from going into the manager but allowing them to login/logout from /manager

xWisdom
                  www.xwisdomhtml.com
                  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                  MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                  • 1 Posts
                  It sounds like a very good idea!

Perhaps we might consider changing "manager" to something like "login" so that this "login" will determine their permission level if they have access to manager then they will see manager page if not then they will only see the frontpage.

For that matter why not have this "login" function to do the redirecting for webuser, manager or normal user?

What do you think?
                    • 1,732 Posts
                    Quote from: chanh at Aug 24, 2005, 02:31 PM

For that matter why not have this "login" function to do the redirecting for webuser, manager or normal user?

What do you think?

Sounds great!

Dimmy,

After thinking about this you could create a plugin to redirect users to the frontpage. See the OnManagerLogin events.

You could make the plugin check if the user belongs to special group then redirect them to the front-end. Event better you can also use some of the system events to display optional User settings when editing a user.

You have the power to build and do anything you want man. The power is yours! smiley
                      xWisdom
                      www.xwisdomhtml.com
                      The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:
                      MODx Co-Founder - Create and do more with less.
                      • 680 Posts
                      Quote from: xwisdom at Aug 24, 2005, 02:21 PM

Maybe something like a ManagerLogin snippet would do? smiley

Way ahead of ya (about two weeks to be exact smiley )

http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,697.0.html