We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 84 Posts
    I just read rthrash’s blog post on the logo change to know what the new design is all about and have to admit, to my shame: I never perceived the box-logo as an ’x’!

I do now recognise the new one as an ’x’, but really don’t understand why the favicon is an M, especially an ’M’ looking like the one from here: http://www.dccomics.com/mad/?action=on_the_stands

I have to agree with gOmp though regarding the Joomla-logo. Theirs even looks a bit like an X, too.

and as for spelling: I vote for keeping MODx, as it’s most widely used.
      • 177 Posts
      <conspiracy theory>I tried to find any reference to Open Source on the home page and failed...It is only on the other pages</conspiracy theory>
      However love the new site, looks very commercial - maybe that’s the idea
        • 84 Posts
        today there’s a new favicon, doesn’t resemble the Mad-one anymore. However I still think the logo should be either an X or an M, not one as the big logo, one for the favicon. [edit: oh, I get it, now its a fraction of the X-logo, looking a bit like an italic ’m’. well, I don’t know] [2nd edit, the day after: another new favicon - we should keep a gallery of these wink the new black&white one doesnt look like an italic m anymore]

and yes, open source should be mentioned somewhere prominent. most people choose it because it’s open source, and that’s what they are looking for.
          • 249 Posts
          The new favicon looks like it is distorted near the top of the strokes, although when viewed in context with the whole logo it is clear that there is a cross stroke on top.

Other than that, the branding and the site are really starting to grow on me, although progress may not be entirely in line with community feedback (is it too much to ask to have a lowercase x? >:( smiley )

I think if we are beating a dead horse with requesting the lower x, the MODx marketing guys should just tell us it ain’t gonna happen...

lo9on.com

MODx Evolution/Revolution | Remote Desktop Training | Development
          • We think we’ve hit it with the favicon. M made from the corner of the X device in the new logo. We may just try to surprise you on that.

We’re thinking about MODX vs MODx. It’s a hard decision.

On the Open Source: We will be adding more references to that. We know that Open Source is a selling point and gives us a competitive edge compared to things like EE and some other Proprietary CMS applications (yes Drupal is OS) and MODX (or MODx) will always be Open Source. I’ve added some references to it for SEO purposes but we’ll be increasing the references to things to Open Source, Content Management Framework and a number of other keyphrases that do describe our products. We’re not about to start charging for the software and have plans on revenue generation via the Partner Program, Advertising, Site Sponsorships, and a couple of things we have up our sleeve.

Thanks for the concern and love of MODX.

Cheers,

Jay

Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
              • 833 Posts
              Quote from: smashingred at Feb 19, 2011, 04:21 PM

We think we’ve hit it with the favicon. M made from the corner of the X device in the new logo. We may just try to surprise you on that.

We’re thinking about MODX vs MODx. It’s a hard decision.

On the Open Source: We will be adding more references to that. We know that Open Source is a selling point and gives us a competitive edge compared to things like EE and some other Proprietary CMS applications (yes Drupal is OS) and MODX (or MODx) will always be Open Source. I’ve added some references to it for SEO purposes but we’ll be increasing the references to things to Open Source, Content Management Framework and a number of other keyphrases that do describe our products. We’re not about to start charging for the software and have plans on revenue generation via the Partner Program, Advertising, Site Sponsorships, and a couple of things we have up our sleeve.

Thanks for the concern and love of MODX.

Cheers,

Jay

Sorry to see that this is giving you guys such a headache. I guess we should tone down the criticism and look at the bright side: MODX is evolving. After giving it some nights of thought, I think MODX makes sense, especially for those new to the project. I think much of the resistance is coming from longtime and die-hard MODx developers like myself and some of us quickly forgot to give this baby a little room to breathe.

So long live MODX!
                A MODx Fanatic
              • I vote it’s more our fingers being trained to type MODx so putting MODX requires more thought... At least that’s my excuse for the time being...

The trick now is going to be MODX® and such as per Trademark Policy (http://modx.com/policy/trademarks/)
                  Patrick | Server Wrangler
                  About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                  • 2,314 Posts
                  Using "modx" (in any form of capitalization) in a domain name is not permitted. This gets confusing fast for users and people looking for official MODX products and services. For example, the following URL would need a trademark license from MODX in order to be permitted: modxhosting.com
                  oha smiley

• Trademark Licensing

MODX will grant certain individuals, groups or organizations a license to use MODX Trademarks when it is not for any commercial gain whatsoever, and intended to grow and spread the MODX Ecosystem. MODX may further grant a trademark license for a fee on a case by case basis.
                    My signature has 2 of it.
                    lol!
                      Rico
                      Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Thomas A. Edison
                      MODx is great, but knowing how to use it well makes it perfect!

www.virtudraft.com

Security, security, security! | Indonesian MODx Forum | MODx Revo's cheatsheets | MODx Evo's cheatsheets

Author of Easy 2 Gallery 1.4.x, PHPTidy, spieFeed, FileDownload R, Upload To Users CMP, Inherit Template TV, LexRating, ExerPlan, Lingua, virtuNewsletter, Grid Class Key, SmartTag, prevNext

Maintainter/contributor of Babel

Because it's hard to follow all topics on the forum, PING ME ON TWITTER @_goldsky if you need my help.
                      • 249 Posts
                      Quote from: goldsky at Feb 19, 2011, 07:13 PM

Trademark Licensing

MODX will grant certain individuals, groups or organizations a license to use MODX Trademarks when it is not for any commercial gain whatsoever, and intended to grow and spread the MODX Ecosystem. MODX may further grant a trademark license for a fee on a case by case basis.
                      My signature has 2 of it.
                      lol!

Well you’re ’Committed to MODx’, speaking from the horse’s mouth, so I don’t think they will call you out on it smiley
                        lo9on.com

MODx Evolution/Revolution | Remote Desktop Training | Development