We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 78 Posts
    Dear Developers and Community.

I would like to create a web site with Modx Revolution but can not find simple steps to help me do this.
    Simple how toes. Just the information that says to this, and then this, and then this.

I have created simple how toes for the installation process and some design, got some help along the way
    got stuck again, figured out some more, got stuck again, got more help, slowly moving ahead until I felt like I had met the brick wall and was exhausted trying to get things to work. I gave up (for now).

It would be nice for someone to create these very very simple how toes. I do know that The Coding Pad is a help and so is Bob Ray’s guides, but it would be nice to follow the nobrainer step by step follow me guide to creating a web site with Modx Revo.

(Perhaps) it is difficult to create a web site with Modx Revo.
    (Perhaps) it requires a programmers mind.
    (Perhaps) it is just not at the level of being designer friendly yet.
    I am hoping it will get there.

I am once again calling out to the community and developers to remember the designers and everyone else which find php a little intimidating.
    We need these tutorials or else we will feel left behind.

A call for revolution! Let the simple, step by step tutorials free!

Have a great day!

Let me know when they show up! I’ll jump in the air and run to my computer to try them out!
    • There’s really fundamentally no difference from Evo to Revo in building sites; you can do it virtually the same save for some minor syntax changes and a different set of Add-ons. Have you found any comparable howtos for Evo, and all the learning resources found on http://modxcms.com/learn/it.html ?

Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 183 Posts
        You can reach it via clicking through some links from the page rthrash posted above:

http://codingpad.maryspad.com/2010/08/18/modx-revolution-for-beginners-part-1-introduction/
          Add-On to easily manage your multilingual sites: Babel
          • 312 Posts
          @Paal_Joachim

Have you managed to install Revo or Evo on a localhost?

Are you happy with some other web software what works for you? If so which?

Have you tried to follow on your machine any MODx tutorials and actually created a web site (be it small and not what you want) to your satisfaction?

If you have gotten this far where are you stuck at the moment?

Have you managed to translate a html/css design to a template?

I will try my best to help as best as I can. I’ll try and be patient and I am not an expert just learning like you seem desperate too.

Do you have a fixed goal in mind? A site you need to do?

Maybee we can solve this and help others.

Regards. Please do not give up it just might take a little time.
            DEVELOPMENT ENV:- Ubuntu 12.04 | MODx Revolution 2.2.8 | LAMP 2i Apache 2.2.22 | Php 5.3.10 | Mysql 5.5.31 MySQL client version: 5.5.31
            • 964 Posts
            The MODx documentation is quite good and growing every day,
            but if you need more step-by-step you can go to www.modxperience.com.
            It is just starting, so it has the basic stuff and if you dont find what
            you are looking for, you can contact me and suggest what you want...
              MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
              • 78 Posts
              Hello allanb

"Have you managed to install Revo or Evo on a localhost?"

Yes, it was a very simple process and I followed the official modx install help on how to install Revo.

I also wrote a step by step on how to install Revo which I posted here:
              http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,53501.msg310535.html#msg310535

Which you also replied to...:)

"Are you happy with some other web software what works for you? If so which?"

I have used Dreamweaver for many years and have gotten spoiled with using the layout document window. Focusing on customizing the look and little on doing code. I have begun experimenting with Wordpress 3. I have been customizing the style.css of the default theme twenty ten. But as I understand it Modx Revo if it had been simpler to use brings along some great flexible ways of creating an even more customized site.

"Have you tried to follow on your machine any MODx tutorials and actually created a web site (be it small and not what you want) to your satisfaction?"

I have followed Bob Ray’s tutorial on porting your site, and read up on Chuncks, Snippets etc (which I have also read about in the official modx docs). Checked out too little though: http://codingpad.maryspad.com/beginner-tutorials/ I’ll dig deeper into the Evo tutorials today and bring the knowledge from there on to what I am working on.

Checked out http://muddydogpaws.com/development/wayfinder/install-instructions.html It says on the site evolution 2 though.

Right before I took a break with Modx I read about Wayfinder in Kongondo’s guide, but received an information overload.

"If you have gotten this far where are you stuck at the moment?"

I am stuck on Wayfinder working on best practices with the newest version. Trying to style it, but got stuck, and gave up for now.

"Have you managed to translate a html/css design to a template?"

Yes, the beginnings of one. Two headers and a vertical left menu. As well as a few pages.

"I will try my best to help as best as I can. I’ll try and be patient and I am not an expert just learning like you seem desperate too."

Thank you for your questions Allen! Then we are both pioneers working our way forward. I am just airing my frustration on occasion. Sometimes taking longer breaks, getting some space before continuing. I have faith in Modx that I will find a way.

"Do you have a fixed goal in mind? A site you need to do?"

----> My goal is to transfer a Norwegian spiritual move site http://www.spirituellfilm.no/
              into Modx using a similar layout to what is there today. Documenting the process. Sharing it with the community along the way.

Transfer info from the site. Various static text pages. Various post pages: newsletter, reserve your ticket. Pages that change: news, movie of the month, movies shown archive. A high learning process to take that site into Modx Revo. I do not want to give up or else I would not have posted.

"Maybe we can solve this and help others."

- Next step for me is to find a good and easy to follow Wayfinder tutorial to style a vertical menu. Without receiving an information overload.

"Regards. Please do not give up it just might take a little time."

Thank you! I would like to figure out things, and move on in the tutorial thread which I notice a LOT of people have checked out.
              I will and have asked questions and whomever feels like giving some advice (even though I might come forth as a total newbie) please respond in the thread so we can have a discussion going.

We need to make Modx Revo simpler so anyone can grasp how to make a basic site. Meaning how to create templates (which I wrote about), how to customize Wayfinder, and onward from there. I want to understand. I want to share with others what I have figured out. I know this will help the community since it feels like this is frontier country we are walking in.
                • 312 Posts
                Took a look at your site.
                I take it you want to produce the navigation using Wayfinder for the left sidebar.

I have read but not used 95% of Kongondo’s guide.(understand the overload)

So far I have only used a horizontal menu.

I think before we start with the Wayfinder details you should get your template to an almost complete state.

Will one template left sidebar be all you require?

Could you take a look at:-http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/perfect-2-column-left-menu.htm

I would like to use this as your shell if you are in agreement as this works with all browsers. It may look a bit complicated but it works!!!
                I have not made MODx template of this yet so would be a good starting point.(for me)(have done 3column and 2column right)

Let me know what you think.

I am not sure the best way to go about this:-
                1. On this forum.
                2. Create a blog.(somewhere)
                3. Create a wiki where we both can post.(somewhere)
                4. Other suggestions.(you may have)

DEVELOPMENT ENV:- Ubuntu 12.04 | MODx Revolution 2.2.8 | LAMP 2i Apache 2.2.22 | Php 5.3.10 | Mysql 5.5.31 MySQL client version: 5.5.31
                  • 78 Posts
                  Thanks also to Ryen, Jakob and charliez for your feedback!

• 78 Posts
                    Hey Allen!

I have read but not used 95% of Kongondo’s guide.(understand the overload)
                    So far I have only used a horizontal menu.
                    I think before we start with the Wayfinder details you should get your template to an almost complete state.
                    Will one template left sidebar be all you require?

I am not sure but it is a good beginning...:)

I installed modx live on my site http://sunwindproduction.com/modx/manager/

EDIT: If you’d like to take part send me an PM or e-mail.

This is the fresh install. I have done nothing to it yet. I am thinking about using my own tutorials to proceed as well as any advice I receive along the way.

My suggestion is that I let anyone log in and modify whatever they like, BUT I would like for people to post here before doing so suggesting things they would want to add or just test out. So we can give feedback before changes are made.
                    Together we can create the spiritual movies example web site writing the procedure how we did it along the way. Sharing our steps with the whole community.

I’ll take a closer look at the link you gave to Matthew James Taylor’s site.

Welcome aboard everyone. If there is a feature in Modx Revo you just think is just sooooo cool and want everyone to know about here is your chance. What about adding it to the site we are creating together?

EDIT: I made a new forum thread for this project. I look forward to seeing how things will go.
                    http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,55466.0.html
                      • 312 Posts
                      It might not be a bad idea to put a link to that.

I am not sure it is a good idea to give out your login info as you have.

I would change it immediately and only supply this info to trusted members of the forum by PM.

You can remove the details as I see you have edited your posts.