We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 19 Posts
    Hi folks

would you mind allowing to upload .odt (open document text) to this forum? this is an open source project, right?

Thanks & cheers

brans
      • 1,097 Posts
      You could always zip it first.. but yes, point taken. Can we have .rtf, .xml, .sql and .tpl too please?

Current Allowed file types: doc, gif, jpg, pdf, png, txt, zip, gz, bz2, doc, xls, psd, css, tgz

Do we need doc twice? Can we swap the second one for Sneezy?
        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!
      • done, done and done. dwarf optional.
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 7,075 Posts
          lol that was funny Ryan laugh

Good point brans !

Now I can upload my NeoOffice files smiley
            .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
          • i’d suggest not uploading native .odt files as lots of folks can’t read them. including me. and no i don’t want to go download the latest build of open/neooffice tongue
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 7,075 Posts
              Yeah well, that was for fun, I have no odt files to upload right now so it won’t be a problem...

Just curious, as a Mac user, what do you use then ? ? ?
              Office Mac ? I sure wouldn’t pay the huge license, NeoOffice is nice and works alright...

MODx est l'outil id
              • Ah, the same reason we’re stuck with developing for IE.
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                • Exactly. And I did some silly survey thing for MS a year or so ago and selected Office 2004 as my departing gift. Even then, I would buy it as .doc and .xls are far too prevalent, and I actually purchased the previous release anyway. I understand the student/teacher licenses available on Amazon are relatively reasonable.
                    • 7,075 Posts
                    Well I can understand this, but NeoOffice offers the option of saving as .doc (even break down into several version of MS Word compatibility options -> would that be all smoke ? I know .doc spefications are not public, this must be reverse engineering I guess, which might not be 100% like the original but how bad is the difference ?).

Ayway, about student and teacher license, in France you have to provide credentials to benefit from them... I am neither. Now, if I have 600 € to spare, I’d invest it elsewhere tongue

MODx est l'outil id
                      • 1,097 Posts
                      I believe that interoperability is getting better. The bits that go wonky in non-MS .doc savers tend to be tables, background images, styles, linking etc. Yes, that is Word I’m talking about.

I don’t use Word anything like I used to - but that’s because I write more webpages than previously.
                      I regularly look to see whether I can drop Word, but the only software I’ve used that meets my particular printable/shareable document-creation requirements is Adobe InDesign, which (given that it’s a pro-end DTP app) is considerably higher cost than Word. (One sticking point is the application of set styles to part of a paragraph. If you know of an open-source document editor that lets me do that AND lets me select a whole paragraph by clicking in the margin AND runs on Windows, PM me).

Personally I’d prefer that people posted either .txt, .rtf or .pdf documents here but there are times when other formats will make sense - particularly during the development of documentation.

There *is* a political message sent out when we announce the "Allowed file types" here, as the original poster inferred. I think the new line up reflects MODx much better. Hoorah for the little things! (Or should that be Hi-Ho..?)
                        No, I don't know what OpenGeek's saying half the time either.
                        MODx Documentation: The Wiki | My Wiki contributions | Main MODx Documentation
                        Forum: Where to post threads about add-ons | Forum Rules
                        Like MODx? donate (and/or share your resources)
                        Like me? See my Amazon wishlist
                        MODx "Most Promising CMS" - so appropriate!