Quote from: cnymike at Jan 26, 2006, 09:15 PM
For me, change for changes sake is not always the best course. Just to change so as not to be like the "typical" forum may or may not make sense. Useability should be the guiding light, not just the desire to change because you don’t want to be seen as the same as something that came before. Does that make any sense?
Hmmm, let me bring to the table some consistent reasons why I think Simplicity is better (in some cases) than classic forum.
The classic table layout presenting all boards has the following information :
- top level boards title (always)
- second level boards (sometimes)
- a little summary of the board purpose (sometimes)
- number of post and replies (always)
- link to the last post (often)
The board overview has relatively few informations, and the information takes up the whole width of the page. Simplicity has a different take and uses a third or even a fourth of the space to display the very same information, plus some others :
- the last X topics (from all boards)
- the last X post (from all boards)
It has some advantages :
- for those who come often (like every two hours
) : always have an overview of the activity, at first glance. This mean less click to access information.
- you can find things that you were not looking for (beauty of the web : serendipity...) : an interresting thread can come up in a board you normally would disregard given your personnal interrest