We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,161 Posts
    Too bad, that border collie site’s horizontal scroll bar is so distracting...
      • 145 Posts
      This is only true for small companies. Plus you can easily convince them of the awesomeness of good design by going for examples.

I’ve had this problem maybe once or twice and only gave in when "it’s not worth it" to do effort.
        [font=Times]Comics, stories, music, graphics, games and more! http://Nimja.com
        • 1 Posts
        I run into this problem usually working with small businesses where the owner has taken a class in website design or where he has a "friend" who is "internet savvy". I usually get concerned about the integrity of my job when they start adding pop ups. That border collie site is rough. My mouth kept dropping further and further as I scrolled down the page. I don’t know why clients can’t appreciate the cleanliness and functionality of sites. I have actually had one client tell me that bright flashing colors attract people and I should see if I can make the background flash...
          Web developer specializing in high availability for websites.
          • 1 Posts
          I would have to agree....it’s one thing to know your strengths and its another to know your weaknesses. You should hire people to pick up where your ability leaves off. There’s no such thing as a person that’s great at everything.
          • I just got the book from Oatmeal: "5 very good reason to punch a dolphin in the mouth"

Besides some familiar ones (like the design going straight to hell, the grammer ones etc) there’s also a few in there I’ve not seen yet. I’d recommend it tongue

(BTW: this is the first book I bought for myself in the past four years or so :p)
              Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
              • 0 Posts
              Quote from: gOmp at Oct 22, 2010, 08:59 PM

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

both sad and funny smiley
              indeed smiley
                • 561 Posts
                Quote from: diatomin at Oct 23, 2010, 03:51 AM

Crossing my fingers I don’t encounter this. Any ideas on how we can educate our clients to appreciate works of art than myspace pages?
                Oh, Man,
                You must be new! Enjoy being a virgin while you can!!!

This beauty did come up awhile ago. EVERY site I make has at least some of that BS in it! I would say that it’s not just web development, that’s the human condition.

Cheers, Dave
                  MODx and Wordpress development
                  Linux, PHP 5.2, MySQL 5.0, Evo 1.05, Revo 2.08-pl, Firefox 4
                • By far the worst one I worked on was one in which we bought a fairly decent template the client liked (they didn’t want to pay for design) and MODxified the template and then ended up completely throwing it out for what became an utter vomit like disaster based on PDFs which were also awful created by, you guessed it, the owner of the company. Any kind of space that wasn’t filled was apparently a crime against humanity and it also had to work perfectly if you super zoomed in. They’ve since changed the design to something better from a design point of view, but not from a web point of view.
                  • You’ll like kill all clients & Clients from hell:

http://twitter.com/#!/killallclients
                    http://clientsfromhell.net/
                      Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
                      • 1 Posts
                      Not everyone think they are experts, but everyone has their own idea! smiley