We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Been thinking for a while might be a good idea to get a user group formed for the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I know we have a large amount of talent here using Modx and thought might be great to be able to network, share experience and build a community for each other around Modx.

Not 100% sure on topics yet but was thinking maybe a meeting once every 2-3 months would be good as well as possibly a listserve (if group wanted it).

For meeting space, depending on time and how many we have interested we could likely meet in the conference room in our building in Bloomington near the airport.

Who all is up for this?
      Jason Bird
      Twitter: @jasonabird @threeeyedbird
    • I believe neon_eddy (@shawnh on twitter) is near and interested.
        Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
        • 9 Posts
        I’m in. I’ve been interested in MODx for a while and would love to meet with others. When are you thinking? Most any evening is good for me. I also work in Bloomington, near the Lyndale/494 exit.

Contact me directly at letter "m", number "4", word "graphics" at Google’s mail.

Michael
          • 388 Posts
          I’m in!
            www.terrybarthdesign.com
            • 24,544 Posts
            I’m out of town for most of the year, but I could drop in occasionally. wink
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 19 Posts
              I would like to come.
              Jean
                • 9 Posts
                Looks like a quorum. Any suggestions for a date? Tuesday and Wednesday evenings are good and Saturdays, between 10am and 1pm.

Michael
                • Was thinking maybe a Tuesday or Thursday evening around 6 or 6:30. I’ll check capacity on the conference room here to see if this location would work (near 494 & 34th Ave by the airport).

Topic ideas by anyone?
                    Jason Bird
                    Twitter: @jasonabird @threeeyedbird
                    • 9 Posts
                    Tuesday’s good for me.

To get an idea of what would be of interest (and who could present), perhaps we should all share a bit about why we’re interested in MODx and what our background is.

My Motivation
                    A graphic designer for 15 years, I’m looking for a standards compliant content framework. My experience is in visual design and graphic production for both print and web as well as technical writing. Being technically oriented, but not a programmer, I need something that provides a reliable platform that I can hang an interface on.

MODx Experience: Kicking the tires

MODx Topics of Interest:

• Setting up a testing server with Revolution
                    • Overview of the MODx platform (the pieces and how they interrelate)
                    • Customizing with ExtJS, MooTools, etc.
                    • Open Source toolbox for the MODx designer/developer
                    • MODx pitfalls — hosting, initial setup, maintenance
                    • XML handling features

Experience
                    Website design and maintenance
                    Image manipulation/compositing
                    Color correction
                    Creative concept development
                    Marketing and technical writing
                    Page layout
                    Prepress

Software
                    Development: Dreamweaver, Aptana
                    Design: Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, QuarkXpress, Freehand,
                    Technical Authoring: Arbortext Editor (was Epic), PTC ProductView and Pro/Engineer, CorelDRAW!

I’d be happy to present something short on the design side if there was a consensus on a topic.

Michael
                      • 388 Posts
                      Re: Topics, I would be interested in hearing about Revolution. What experience have folks had with it? What are the real advantages? What evolution addons & plugins are not yet available in Revolution?
                        www.terrybarthdesign.com