We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 19 Posts
    Hello,

I have a document that I created, and added to my registered web user’s group. It’s not cached, not searchable. But for some reason even logged in I can get to it.

When I look at the info it says everything is public, but I know for sure I set the access permissions to my registered users group, and unchecked Public.

Please send help. lol
      • 502 Posts
      In the document tree in the manager does the document icon have a padlock on it?

Andy
      • If you are logged into your manager as admin, you will be able to see all documents, regardless of published status or permissions. Log out of the manager to check how public users will see the site.
          • 502 Posts
          That doesn’t appear to be the case when previewing pages in the manager. Unless I am also logged in as a web user, the preview for pages that are not public show the index page instead.

I have a client who finds this confusing. I tried to explain it but failed. sad

Andy
          • Quote from: ajayre at Sep 26, 2006, 06:05 PM

So why does that not also work for the preview in the manager? Unless I am also logged in as a web user, the preview for pages that are not public show the index page instead.

I have a client who finds this confusing. I tried to explain it but failed. sad

Andy
            Good question?! I never run the preview in the manager so I guess I haven’t noticed the behavior there; I always disable it because I find there are other inaccuracies and conflicts when you start coding complex snippets, especially on private pages. I have a lot of sites where this is a major factor, forcing me to disable the preview.

It’s likely these issues will not be easily resolvable until the manager rewrite is completed and the user management system is merged so there are not separate manager and web users, just permissions. I expect we’ll see one or both of these sometime after 0.9.5 and before the 1.0 release. However, it might be a good idea to document these issues in detail within an official bug report so we make sure and pay special attention to the next revision of the preview feature, and you never know, someone might have a quick fix available they can contribute in the meantime.
              • 502 Posts
              Hmmm...didn’t realise you can disable the preview. I think I will use that approach as I think it slows the manager down a bit too much.

Andy
              • Good point... maybe we should turn off previews in the default install state.
                  Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                  Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                  • 19 Posts
                  Quote from: ajayre at Sep 26, 2006, 04:55 PM

In the document tree in the manager does the document icon have a padlock on it?

Andy

No, there is no padlock.

Quote from: OpenGeek at Sep 26, 2006, 06:01 PM

If you are logged into your manager as admin, you will be able to see all documents, regardless of published status or permissions. Log out of the manager to check how public users will see the site.

I’ve tried this without being logged in in the manager. Same thing happens.

Could it be that I’m using a static link to the Document ID? I kinda doubt it but you never know, seeing as how it _does_ say that it’s public, even tho everthing else tells me different.
                    • 502 Posts
                    Hmmm...I’m running 0.9.2.1 and any pages that are not public are shown with a padlock icon. Did you check that it is not in the public group?

Andy
                      • 19 Posts
                      Quote from: ajayre at Sep 26, 2006, 07:44 PM

Hmmm...I’m running 0.9.2.1 and any pages that are not public are shown with a padlock icon. Did you check that it is not in the public group?

Andy

I’m positive it’s not.