We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,010 Posts
    TinyMce has several configuration options that are not currently used in the plugin for MODx. One interesting one is external_link_list_url. This can be used to insert a dropdown list of links (see attached example image) by declaring a javascript file like so:

external_link_list_url : "/listoflinks.js",

Usually this is a hardcoded list of links as in the example of the tinyMce documentation:
    var tinyMCELinkList = new Array(
    	// Name, URL
    	["Moxiecode", "http://www.moxiecode.com"],
    	["Freshmeat", "http://www.freshmeat.com"],
    	["Sourceforge", "http://www.sourceforge.com"]
    );

However it is perfectly fine to set external_link_list_url to a *.html (or php or whatever) file instead of a *.js file as long as the content is legal javascript. This makes it possible to dynamically generate a list of links. As an example I’ll explain how to set external_link_list_url to a MODx document with a simple snippet, but it could also be done using any other script (for instance using the new index-ajax.php).

1. For this to work, in System Configuration, you’ll need to set TinyMCE’s Theme to ’Full Featured’

2. Create a new snippet (call it tinyMceLinks for instance) and paste the following (without the php tags, but you knew that already...)
    <?php
    $allpages = $modx->getActiveChildren();
    foreach($allpages as $page){
    	$caption = ($page['pagetitle'])?$page['pagetitle']:$page['menutitle'];
    	$list .=($list!='')?",\n":"\n";
    	$list.= "[\"".$caption."\", \"[\"+\"~".$page['id']."~\"+\"]\"]";
    }
    $output = "var tinyMCELinkList = new Array(\n". $list .");";

return $output;
    ?>

3. If this doesn’t exist yet create blank template with only the [*content*] tag. There should be nothing else in the template. We only want the javascript to appear.

4. Create a new page (I’ve used the alias "tinyLinksPage") and make sure it’s not in the menu! Place the [[tinyMceLinks]] snippet call In the content area and save..

5. Now you’ll need to add the external_link_list_url setting to the TimyMCE configuration. You’ll have to edit the TinyMCE plugin for this. Find the getTinyMCEScript function and insert the extra setting in the $fullScript variable (at line 228 or there abouts). See below - I’ve only copied the $fullScript bit...

<?php
    $fullScript = <<<FULL_SCRIPT
    <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="{$base_url}assets/plugins/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/tiny_mce.js"></script>
    <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
    	tinyMCE.init({
    		  theme : "advanced",
    		  mode : "exact",
    		  relative_urls : {$relative_urls},
    		  {$document_base_url}
    		  remove_script_host : {$remove_script_host},
    		  language : "{$tinymce_language}",
    		  $elmList
    		  $webWidth
    		  $webHeight
    		  plugins : "style,layer,table,advhr,advimage,advlink,emotions,insertdatetime,preview,flash,searchreplace,print,contextmenu,paste,directionality,fullscreen,noneditable",

//don't copy the comments :) but here it goes
    		  external_link_list_url : "/tinyLinksPage.html",
    //replace /tinyLinksPage.html with whatever page you've created 

theme_advanced_buttons1_add_before : "save,newdocument,separator",
    		  theme_advanced_buttons1_add : "fontselect,fontsizeselect",
    		  theme_advanced_buttons2_add : "separator,insertdate,inserttime,preview,separator,forecolor,backcolor",
    		  theme_advanced_buttons2_add_before: "cut,copy,paste,separator,search,replace,separator,pastetext,pasteword,selectall,separator",
    		  theme_advanced_buttons3_add_before: "tablecontrols,separator",
    		  theme_advanced_buttons3_add : "emotions,iespell,flash,advhr,separator,print,separator,ltr,rtl,separator,fullscreen",
    		  theme_advanced_buttons4 : "insertlayer,moveforward,movebackward,absolute,|,styleprops",
    		  theme_advanced_toolbar_location : "top",
    		  theme_advanced_toolbar_align : "left",
    		  theme_advanced_path_location : "bottom",
    		  plugin_insertdate_dateFormat : "%Y-%m-%d",
    		  plugin_insertdate_timeFormat : "%H:%M:%S",
    		  extended_valid_elements : "a[name|href|target|title|onclick],img[class|src|border=0|alt|title|hspace|vspace|width|height|align|onmouseover|onmouseout|name],hr[class|width|size|noshade],font[face|size|color|style],span[class|align|style]",
    		  $cssPath
    		  $cssSelector
    		  preformatted : true,
    		  onchange_callback : "tvOnTinyMCEChangeCallBack",
    		  resource_browser_path : "{$base_url}manager/media/browser/mcpuk/browser.html?Connector={$base_url}manager/media/browser/mcpuk/connectors/php/connector.php&ServerPath={$base_url}",
    		  $fileBrowserCallback
    	   });

function fileBrowserCallBack(field_name, url, type, win) {
    		// This is where you insert your custom filebrowser logic
    		var win=tinyMCE.getWindowArg("window");
    		win.BrowseServer(field_name);
    	}

function tvOnTinyMCEChangeCallBack(i){
    		  i.oldTargetElement.onchange();            
    	}
    </script>
    FULL_SCRIPT;
    ?>

This example should give you a list of top level links in TinyMCE’s link dialog and when selected this will insert the page url in the proper [~id~] format. Way easier to explain to the average CMS use dont you agree?’ Off course you can make it a lot fancier, but I leave that to you to work out smiley
      • 1,131 Posts
      Wow! This is pretty damn cool! So cool I’m almost thinking about making this a default option in the TinyMCE plugin distro. smiley
        Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
      • TobyL,

Wow! Now that IS just plain cool. laugh The next release is going to ship with TIny and I think this definitely makes the cut. Great work.

On a tangentially related topic, do you know how to (easily, or relatively so) create custom toolbars for TinyMCE. Full is just too full, and advanced lacks a few needed things. It’d be nice to tweak a few things here and there. smiley
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 788 Posts
          This is a great addition, I have been working with Tinymce for quite a while and have used the js version of this for ages...

There are actually 3 files which could be modified like this, an external image list and an external flash list. The image list poulates a dropdown in the image insert dialogue (the button in the tiny toolbar, not the resource browser) and the flash list populates a dropdown in the insert flash dialogue. These are very convenient when a group of items are constantly used.

Another tweak is you can decrease loading times of the editor by adding the following to the tinymce init:() area -

button_tile_map : true

they claim in the documentation some doctypes had issues with this, but it has worked fine for me so far.

I also have a complete admin panel and databse tables to configure almost every aspect of tiny’s configuration, although it was written for a blog script, it could be easily modified for use in a modx environment. If anyones interested I’ll be glad to zip the files and send a link.

Again this is a wonderful addition, Tinymce has always been my preference. Although it is slightly complex to get set up, once it is configured properly it can’t be beat... wink
            xforum
            http://frsbuilders.net (under construction) forum for evolution
          • breezer, please send them to Bravado, pronto! Sounds like great additions for our new default editor. smiley
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 4,213 Posts
              Sweet TobyL and breezer! It’s so great that more and more developers are coming to this community, you guys have provided many great things for MODx allready!

Thank you for your work and keep on doing what you do!

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
                • 1,010 Posts
                Great! TinyMce as the default. I like that!

@Brezer: You seem to be well aquinted with Tiny. Perhaps you can help me with this little problem I’m encountering?
                http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php?topic=5403.msg45847#msg45847
                  • 788 Posts
                  hmmm... seems like I read something about this in the configuration docs but it has been awhile. I’ll download the newest version and have a look and see if I can refresh my memory a bit.
                    xforum
                    • 788 Posts
                    in the code you posted above (the tinymce call) there is an option

preformatted: true,

try setting that to false and see if that helps:

preformatted: false,

xforum
                      • 1,010 Posts
                      Hmmm,... that does seem to do the trick. Shame it stuffs up teh source now. According to the documentation what preformatted is supposed to do is preserve whitespace in the source.
                      If you enable this feature, whitespace such as tabs and spaces will be preserved. Much like the bahavior of a PRE element....

like the behaviour of a PRE element,.. They took that a bit too literally it seems. Know of any other way of preserving the source formatting? It’s a real pain with everything on one line. I use source editing regularly to clean up the mess some clients seems to be able to make refardless of how good the tools are you give them smiley