We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    The tutorial is great. Very useful.

I have a couple of questions about styling the dropmenu though.

1) I’m a real newbie, so could you suggest how I might style it so that each level has a different colored block, and so that there is a thick left border that gets thicker when the item is chosen...

2) I’m trying to build a bi-lingual site, in Arabic and English. One solution that I think might work, is to limit the dropmenu like you did with css or in html. But instead of limiting the menu so that only certain levels will show at certain times, one could limit it so that only certain page or folder numbers appear. I would number the english pages 1-100, and Arabic pages 101-200. Then I could add the same dropmenu in both versions, just limiting it to the correct half in each page. The other option is to somehow make a second dropmenu snippet, dropmenu2, and tailor each to show only the correct pages.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks so much.

-Moimismo
      • 48 Posts
      Quote from: kickass at May 04, 2006, 03:22 AM

It would seem to me that Stu Nicholl’s new drop menu method is dang near custom built for this treatment. And LOOK MA! NO JAVASCRIPT! Works in IE too.

And I gotta say, this was the EASIEST drop menu system to install ever. Drop it in. Change a bit of spacing and a few colors. Done.

The only thing I have to figure out is how exactly to script it so that IF the flyout happens under the far right toplevel it puts the class of "left" on the list item that contains the nested list. No big deal if it’s my site, but this one is a client site and you KNOW that means that is the first thing that the client does is put a nested list there . . . also, though it’s not NECESSARY for the menu to work, it would be cool to have the "drop" class on the anchor tag of the list item that has the nested list inside it so the little arrow or whatever image or different background or whatever you choose will appear and tip people off that this is a list item that has more links associated with it. Anybody who has better php coding skills than me (which is almost everybody) please let me know if you have an idea.
        • 48 Posts

It would seem to me that Stu Nicholl’s new drop menu method is dang near custom built for this treatment. And LOOK MA! NO JAVASCRIPT! Works in IE too.

And I gotta say, this was the EASIEST drop menu system to install ever. Drop it in. Change a bit of spacing and a few colors. Done.

The only thing I have to figure out is how exactly to script it so that IF the flyout happens under the far right toplevel it puts the class of "left" on the list item that contains the nested list. No big deal if it’s my site, but this one is a client site and you KNOW that means that is the first thing that the client does is put a nested list there . . . also, though it’s not NECESSARY for the menu to work, it would be cool to have the "drop" class on the anchor tag of the list item that has the nested list inside it so the little arrow or whatever image or different background or whatever you choose will appear and tip people off that this is a list item that has more links associated with it. Anybody who has better php coding skills than me (which is almost everybody) please let me know if you have an idea.

I am trying to implement this method too, but I dont get it working.
        Could you please share your css-file, and your snippet call?? This would be a great help for me.

Thanks
          • 23 Posts
          When I put the dropmenu in, it is indenting on the left hand side for the parent items. I can’t seem to figure out how to make it so it doesn’t indent the first level. Any ideas?
            • 4,213 Posts
            Quote from: spoetnik at Jul 07, 2006, 02:26 PM

It would seem to me that Stu Nicholl’s new drop menu method is dang near custom built for this treatment. And LOOK MA! NO JAVASCRIPT! Works in IE too.....
            I am trying to implement this method too, but I dont get it working.
            Could you please share your css-file, and your snippet call?? This would be a great help for me.
            Just a side note; many of the cssplay menus will be included as a examples to the DropMenu’s successor what will be soon available for public beta testing. It took about 5 to 10 minutes to do the css play menus with the new menu builder.

Quote from: danderson at Jul 24, 2006, 12:22 PM

When I put the dropmenu in, it is indenting on the left hand side for the parent items. I can’t seem to figure out how to make it so it doesn’t indent the first level. Any ideas?

ul {
            list-style: none;
            margin-left: 0;
            padding-left: 0;
            text-indent: 0;
            }

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
              • 5 Posts
              Your site looks awesome, thanks for sharing.
              As a newbie, how to put all code together to make it work in my template?
              Could you show an full example please?

thanks.

Gus
                • 345 Posts

I was also wondering if anyone figured out how to get this menu to work with DropMenu? I looked over the directions on StuNicholls site and the example HTML they are using has so many if statements in it, I’m not sure how it can be compatible with DropMenu. Can drop Menu generate that stuff?

If anyone has gotten this method to work I’d like to know how before I spend a day or two trying to force it.

• Those "if" statements are all to hide some nasty IE-specific stuff from other browsers and from the validators. I’ve worked out the menu without the "if" statements. It uses some ugly IE kludges to avoid the need of javascript to force IE to behave itself.
                    Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                    Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                    Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • Quote from: jbjones at Aug 10, 2006, 02:45 AM

I was also wondering if anyone figured out how to get this menu to work with DropMenu? I looked over the directions on StuNicholls site and the example HTML they are using has so many if statements in it, I’m not sure how it can be compatible with DropMenu. Can drop Menu generate that stuff?

If anyone has gotten this method to work I’d like to know how before I spend a day or two trying to force it.

Check out the replacement for DropMenu now in public beta, called Wayfinder. It’s incredible and happens to contain several example implementations of Stu’s menu magic!
                      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                      • 8 Posts
                      for those messing around with this and trying to figure out some styling stuff, I’ve added some to Scotty’s code to show how you can make it similar to the ModX site menu. I can not however get the third level to look correct, so someone with a little better CSS knowledge may want to add that. I never use more than two levels so I stopped messing with it embarrassed Thanks! for all the help.

/***************************
                        Drop Menu Style - from ScottyDeleicious & ModX - http://www.scottydelicious.com  -  http://www.modxcms.com
                      ****************************/
                      /* general settings
                      -----------------------------------------------*/
                      #menu ul, #menu p {padding: 5px 15px 1em; margin-left: -5px; }
                      #menu li { list-style:none; width:100%; }
                      #menu li a { color:#f90; background: url(images/folder_blue.jpg) no-repeat 0 3px; padding: 0px 20px; margin-left: -5px; }/* this sets the color of the active menu parent. */
                      #menu li a:hover, #menu li a:active { color: #006; background: url(images/folder_red.jpg) no-repeat 0 3px;}

/* color & style for root level active folder
                      #menu li.here { color:#f90; background: url(images/folder_open.jpg) no-repeat 0 5px; padding: 0px 20px; margin-left: -5px;}/* this sets the color of the active menu parent. */
                      #menu li.here a  { background: none !important; padding: 0px 5px;} /*  removes extra icon. IE Win needs !imporatant */
                      #menu ul ul { display: none; } /*  turn off level 2 folders (sub menu items) */
                      #menu li.here ul { display: block; padding:0; margin:0;} /* show the items in the level 2 folder path when you are there*/

/* color & Style for level 2 active folder
                      #menu li.here ul li, #menu li.here ul li a {color:#000; background: transparent url(images/document.jpg) no-repeat 0 3px; padding: 0px 10px; margin-left: -5px; !important}/* An item in the 2nd level list, not currently selected */
                      #menu li.here li.here { color:#f90; background: transparent url(images/urhere.jpg) no-repeat 0 3px; !important}/* The ACTIVE item in the 2nd level list */
                      #menu ul li ul li ul li { display: none; } /*  turn off level 3 folders (sub menu items of sub menus) */
                      #menu li.here ul li.here ul li { display: block; padding:0; margin:0; }  /* show the items in the level 3 folder path when you are there*/

/* color & Style for level 3 active folder
                      #menu li.here li.here ul li a { color:#000; background: transparent url(images/document.jpg) no-repeat 0 3px; }/* An item in the 3rd level list, not currently selected */
                      #menu li.here li.here li.here a { color:#f90; background: transparent url(images/urhere.jpg) no-repeat 0 3px; }/* The ACTIVE item in the 3rd level list */