We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 160 Posts
    After trying a bunch of the software mentioned here, I decided to keep Eclipse. Definitively the perfect IDE for my development needs, plus it’s open source software and there’s plenty of support for it out there. I installed the PHP IDE + Aptana + Mylar (task/bug repository) + the Subversion tool and it’s a real winner. It does eat up all of my RAM, but I’d recommend it to every serious PHP developer out there. My only deception right now is the lack of a good FTP integration. Otherwise, the fact that I can receive/publish task/bugs linked to my Bugzilla server directly in my IDE is wonderful. The built-in server is also great for quick testing and with the built-in browser preview, I can quickly preview my XHTML, much like a WYSIWYG editor without the drag ’n drop feature.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts everyone!
      Olivier Deland
      Montreal, Canada - Web Developer
      • 90 Posts
      My favorite > Smultron

http://smultron.sourceforge.net/
        • 898 Posts
        I second Smultron as a must-have for OSX. It’s great for small quick jobs particularly. It’s also great for editing files with user permissions as it requests the admin password and saves the doc (such as hosts file).

I’ve been using Coda recently and have really enjoyed it as well.
          Chuck the Trukk
          ProWebscape.com :: Nashville-WebDesign.com
          - - - - - - - -
          What are TV's? Here's some info below.
          http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,21081.msg159009.html#msg1590091
          http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,14957.msg97008.html#msg97008
          • 25 Posts
          I use Zend Studio for PHP and CSE HTML Validator for (H/X)TML =)
          • I definitely am an Eclipse user. It is the only real open-source choice for serious collaborative, cross-platform development, like the development of MODx itself. Of course, I’ve been using Eclipse for more than 5 years (originally for Java development). It takes more time to learn initially, but once you get used to the way it works, and customize it to work the way you want it to, you realize just how much more productive you can be with such a flexible and comprehensive IDE. Between the local history, batch line ending conversion, validation for embedded HTML, PHP, and JS, source formatting, remote debugging, SVN synchronization, and countless other features, I don’t know how I’d get along without it. wink

MY MODx DEVELOPMENT TOOLS

• Eclipse 3.2.2 + PDT (OR PHPEclipse + Aptana1) + Subclipse + Mylar
            • PSPad (thanks for bringing this one to my attention; it’s a great stand-alone editor)
            • UltraEdit (I’m starting to use PSPad instead)
            • TortoiseSVN

1 -- I have multiple instances of Eclipse setup, some with PDT, some with PHPEclipse, and one with PHPEclipse + Aptana; I like to try things out...
              • 114 Posts
              I’ve been using coda since an early beta and have since committed to almost solely using it (textmate still gets a touch or two here and there). don’t know what I’d do if I found myself on a windows box, panic attack probably - no pun intended... =)
              • Quote from: robot at Jun 03, 2007, 07:12 AM

...don’t know what I’d do if I found myself on a windows box...

I don’t know about Coda per se but if you are wanting Textmate on Windows there is "e". I use it for local editing and love it. You can use most all Textmate Bundles and the like.

I don’t do enough exclusive php progging to use a dedicated IDE as they kill my workflow as most of them (so does Dreamweaver). They eat waaayyy too many system resources for HTML editing. If I have Photoshop or even Fireworks and FireFox open to Gmail my system would be pretty slow--may as well hand write my code for transcription at that point.

For just HTML I use HTML-Kit and have done since 2004. Prior to that I used DWMX2004 but once I started spending 99.99% of my time in code view I thought something lighter was in order.

I am slowly moving to doing nearly all editing in e as it is light and requires less mousing. If e gets ftp (for real time updates of small files) it will be the editor for me.
                  Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
                  • 4,205 Posts
                  I am looking for an editor on the mac that has auto complete for php. I find myself misspelling things often and having to look things up, an auto complete could resolve this.

I currently use BBEdit. Just downloaded Multron, looks cool, will add it to my tool box.
                    [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
                    Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
                    • 135 Posts
                    I’ve been using Dreamweaver 8 for pretty much everything I do related to PHP and WYSIWYG stuff. I love the syntax highlighting (although it gets messy sometimes when mixing content types in one document tongue ) and the ability to auto-update docs on my testing server when I save them. Eclipse has always been my #1 Java development app though, it’s unbeatable. I think I’ll give PHPEclipse a shot...
                    • @Eleventeen,

Don’t you find DW8 resource heavy? I am not suggesting you change but since you would be spending most of your time in code view don’t you find it uses a lot of system resources? That was m reason for seeking other apps. I spend 99.00% of my time in code view and therefore didn’t need all the other junk that came with it just to run. If I had Fireworks or Photoshop open it would bring my system to a crawl.

That being said ,it took me a long time to come off DW. I started on DW3 and only stopped using it shortly after DW MX2004 came out.

I also want to point out that I still keep a reg’d copy of DW for those clients who had their site built in DW and need adjustments before I can get to a rebuild in proper HTML (sans the templating.) Sometimes the nested tables on client sites is too much to handle in a text editor when I want to make a quick edit to a HTML IDE’d page.

Cheers and all the best,

Jay
                        Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub