We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 160 Posts
    With Dreamweaver CS 3 coming out any time soon, I was thinking about upgrading or switching to some other PHP Editor. I’ve been personally using Dreamweaver for the past few years and tried many other editors and IDE with integrated debuggers, but none of them really hooked me.

So I was wondering, what is everybody in the MODx community using?
      Olivier Deland
      Montreal, Canada - Web Developer
      • 1,611 Posts
        "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
        • 74 Posts
        I am big fan of PSPad (freeware) myself. It keeps surprising me how well it handles formats, syntax etc etc. I use it alongside Dreamweaver.
        • I use Eclipse with PHPEclipse (and the Zend PHP) plugins, along with Subclipse for SVN integration and the Web Tools plugin for HTML, SQL, CSS, XML editing.

Just love Eclipse, been using it for almost a year and a half now ... all depends if you want WSYIWYG capabilities, if you do then something like Dreamweaver may be a better choice.
            Garry Nutting
            Senior Developer
            MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
            Twitter: @garryn
            Web: modx.com
            • 10 Posts
            Notepad++ is very nice...and free: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

• 1,131 Posts
              I use Eclipse with the PHP Developer Tools (PDT) most of the time. I do use Dreamweaver for alot of my WYSIWYG editing. But even then I’m thinking of changing things up and not relying on Dreamweaver’s way of handling CSS...not to mention the expense of Dreamweaver! So now I’m considering dropping Dreamweaver for something a bit more lighter. I took a look at Nvu but found it to be bloody awful on how it handles CSS code. If you’re on a Mac, Coda from Panic software just came out (www.panic.com). I’m seriously considering an Eclipse/Coda combo for all my editing needs. smiley

Jeff
                Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
                • 1,010 Posts
                PHPEDIT (windows only I believe) it’s commercial but I love it anyway smiley Incorporated svn/cvs, mysql db manager, great php code browser and inline syntax checking.
                  • 36 Posts
                  I use PSPad (www.pspad.com) and recently I’ve been trying Aptana (www.aptana.org) both of them are free and although aptana is in alpha version it works very well.
                    • 42 Posts
                    Try Coda from Panic. Oh wait, I remember you still have this beautiful Windows XP. Mouhahaha
                      [b]Benoit Deziel[b]
                      • 43 Posts
                      Quote from: Paintbox at May 04, 2007, 09:08 PM

I am big fan of PSPad (freeware) myself. It keeps surprising me how well it handles formats, syntax etc etc. I use it alongside Dreamweaver.
                      I second PSPad. I use it exclusively for Windows, Linux I use either gedit or bluefish.