We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 242 Posts
    Hello Heliotope, hello zap, hello guys

Thank you for your condolence.

for testing I have modified the files used by the cache system in the 096.
    I could post them with instructions if you wish to test.
    Oh god.... yes iam interested. Spit it out!

Have you looked into using the new 0.9.7 version?
    Yes zap, of course, but what can i learn from it for my current situation. At the moment i feel shocked, stressed, confused and a little bit an bitter disappointment(about myself). At this time, its the first time for me on the caching-system.. so iam not able to see clear answers for what i am looking for.

Iam glad about the response from you guys and i will be thankful to hear every suggestion that will come.

At the moment i working for queries to ask a dedicated table for the right files.. i just keep the newspaper in the modx-tree and bind the dedicated table to the newspapers docid.

hasta luego, Stefan

• 135 Posts
      Quote from: ZAP at Apr 25, 2008, 04:23 AM

No need to be scared. The example that I was responding to in that message isn’t really relevant to what it sounds like you want to do. MODx is perfectly happy with sites of hundreds of pages (I’ve had some over 3,500 pages with no noticeable decrease in performance).

MODx has a site cache file that includes a document index and whatever resources you have installed. And in addition it can create individual cache files for each page that you set to be cached. The latter files are only parsed when you load those specific pages, so they don’t cumulatively slow down your site (in fact, they should speed it up).

There’s no reason to think that you’d have any trouble creating the site you describe in MODx.
      Thanks for the reassurance! I’ve been planning to get my site moved over to MODx for the longest time (actually put it off three times now, cuz of time issues), and I think I’m going to actually do it this time. tongue I’ve built a couple of small sites with MODx for a friend and someone else I know, but nothing really complex at all. I guess the whole discussion of page limits and such got me paranoid that moving my site over to MODx would be a disaster -- we’ll have to see! laugh
        • 19 Posts
        Okay, I have got ModX installed and so far I have thought that this was the perfect CMS for us, but I am concerned about the 5000 document limit. I am not sure about our total content, but I know at some point we could go over 5000 and really don’t want to get comfortable with ModX if I am going to need to change it later. I am not a programmer. I am not up to hacking code apart to get it to work. I had read through this thread and am confused if any progress has been made with this issue. If I can’t use ModX does anyone have any suggestions to other CMS systems that are similar to ModX that can handle a larger amount of documents?
          • 1,611 Posts
          Quote from: tres6 at May 18, 2008, 02:18 PM

Okay, I have got ModX installed and so far I have thought that this was the perfect CMS for us, but I am concerned about the 5000 document limit. I am not sure about our total content, but I know at some point we could go over 5000 and really don’t want to get comfortable with ModX if I am going to need to change it later.
          There is no fixed limit, per se. 5,000 is just a guideline as to when you might start having problems with the loading of your site cache file (not to mention your Manager’s document tree may become bogged down). Maybe if you describe your project a bit more people can help you determine whether MODx is the best fit for it.
            "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
          • There are a number of things you can do to ease the load on the cache file. Also 0.9.7 is coming along nicely, and may well be "out" before you start running into trouble with the current code base. I don’t think 0.9.7 will have the same issues with large numbers of documents or other elements.
              Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • 7,075 Posts
              Don’t give up on MODx too fast, if you’re not at 5000 documents yet and Still are a few month away from it, you’ll have a perfect solution with MODx 0.9.7 (you can test the public alpha already check the announcement forums for a link).

0.9.7 benefits from a rewritten core freed from the 5000 documents limit and with the ability to use advanced caching (you can use memcache or whatever you want with 0.9.7)

I’ll let the dev team explain in more details...
                .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                • 19 Posts
                Thank you all for your feedback. I will keep plugging along. We actually have quite a way to go before hitting the 5000 max, but the potential is definitely there. As far as details of what I am trying to do, it is purely articles and content, not a store or anything like that so I do think ModX is a good fit for us and love how easy it is to use thus far. My only concern was not wanting to get used to it and having to switch down the road. I don’t like change. I couldn’t tell from reading this thread if the newer version that is coming up had solved this problem or not, but with the comments here I think we will be okay to go ahead with it. Thank you for your help and feedback.
                  • 623 Posts
                  I currently have a site that has about 1,000 docs. The sitecache.idx.php file is already 408k. The site doesn’t seem sluggish, but within the year it will have about 2,500 documents. So, my question is how can I reduce the file size? I read I can use includes, but what’s the best way to do that? Most of the site is using ditto, but there are also many other snippets I’m using. When I looked at the sitCache.idx.php file I noticed it was about 11,500 lines long. I really think it will become a problem, so it would be great to trim it up a bit. How would I "include" those snippets?

Quote from: heliotrope at Apr 24, 2008, 11:27 PM

Hi,

for testing I have modified the files used by the cache system in the 096.
                  I could post them with instructions if you wish to test.

:-)

Yes, please share!
                    The MODx has you...
                    Utah Web Design
                  • Create one snippet called ’include’, then simply put your snippets in external files and include them, replacing the snippet calls with a modified tag that adds an additional parameter identifying the file containing the snippet code. Here is the include snippet I use on one site. It is the only snippet saved in my database, and prevents the source code for all those snippets from being included in the siteCache file. Parameters for other snippets will passthrough, unless there is a conflict on the parameter names I chose for the include snippet itself, but you can alter those to something unique. Note this also allows snippets that directly return content or those that echo content from the include, based on the optional &return parameter value.

<?php
                    // &file=`assets/foo/bar.php` indicates the file to include
                    // &return=`1` return explicit content from return statement in included file
                    //  default behavior is to use output buffering to capture the content from the include

$output = '';
                    if (isset($file) && file_exists($file)) {
                        if (!isset($return) || $return == false) {
                            ob_start();
                            include ($modx->config['base_path'] . $file);
                            $output = ob_get_contents();
                            ob_end_clean();
                        } else {
                            $output = include ($modx->config['base_path'] . $file);
                        }
                    }
                    return $output;
                    ?>
                      • 623 Posts
                      Thanks Jason! I think I’ll have to implement this and trim the site as much as I can. I also hope to move this site to the new core in the next 4-5 months and leave these issues behind. For now though, I’ll need to do everything possible to reduce server load and bottlenecks as I think the site traffic will steadily increase to tens of thousands of hits per day in short order.
                        The MODx has you...
                        Utah Web Design