We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 170 Posts
    You are right, but when I was seeking for a solution I found this thread, and it maybe my comment can help somebody....
    My problem seems to be related to the 2.1.5 install ...
    To be followed !

• 202 Posts
      Revisiting this IIS7 install issue,:

Attempted an upgrade again this morning. After I get through the various screens a-ok, I click the install button and immediately get a

500 Error

A fatal application error has been encountered.

Searching for that doesn't yield helpful info. Such as, if FastCGI is the culprit, how come 2.0.8 worked on this IIS machine and this error is brand new, that is it was not encountered yesterday.

Can anyone help? I'm willing to have the client pay for this.
        • 202 Posts
        Partial success. Altering the IUSR permissions (Advanced > Special > Full Control) for the packages directory.

But I forgot that I don't want to use the 2.1.4 due to the severe bug. Not sure if it's related but after logging into the Manager, it didn't display the Resource tree at left. Is that what the bug is?
          • 2 Posts
          Fildefer57,
          I had the same issue on Linux as well until I realized that I needed to change permissions to 777 recursively for sub-directories in core/packages/core/
          Then the install worked like a charm.. hope this helps.
            • 202 Posts
            Hate to sound snarky, but this IS the IIS/Windows Hosting thread.

Linux and IIS are as different as conventional gas engine and a Prius.

I should know: I operate both Linux and IIS.
              • 2 Posts
              Hi UltraSEF,
              Yeah, that's snarky.
              I'm just trying to help out one of the other posters.. don't have the ability to move his/her question to a new thread.
              I too have installed Revo on IIS and of course run into permissions issues. I did get it working successfully but I don't remember all of the steps exactly. I think I had to allow read/write permissions for the basic USR account on all of the folders that the installer needs to write to. I think they're all listed here: http://bobsguides.com/modx-upgrade-faq.html.
                • 202 Posts
                Hi helpmejulie,

I understand that you're helping out someone else. That's good but if you'll notice that in that link and even Bob's book, there is no word about IIS.

There's plenty about LAMP and WAMP and Windows. Even I sometimes forget to check the Help section that addresses installation issues:
                http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Basic+Installation

Now, if you can just start remembering what you did with IIS! ;-)
                  • 108 Posts
                  Hi UltraSEF I would really hate to ruin your mood, and it's not my intention at all, but helpmejulie's post helped me big time, I ran across this thread (google) with the same problem on linux while upgrading from 2.1.3 to 2.1.5 and changing permissions recursively for sub-directories in core/packages/core/ did the trick.
                  [ed. note: upiorz last edited this post 12 years, 5 months ago.]
                    • 202 Posts
                    Didn't ruin my mood. Be sure to check out the Documentation. Just about everything is there that one needs.

It's not for nothing that the subdomain is named rtfm.

Glad you got your upgrade to work!
                      • 2 Posts
                      Beyond Metrix Reply #20, 12 years ago
                      I had the same problem and when I checked, I have a complete upload of the /packages/core already uploaded so when the install tried to unpack core.transport.zip it didn't have enough permissions to overwrite, so the install failed. Try renaming /core/packages/core folder to something else and rerunning - worked for me. Then I just deleted the renamed folder as the unpack had created a new version. All working fine here now for me.
                      hth
                      Sam
                        Samantha Mignano, M IDM
                        Registered Prince2 Practitioner

Beyond Metrix Ltd ~ conversion rate fanatics ~ http://www.beyondmetrix.com

Call us now for a free consultation 08456 448854