We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • onesmarthost Reply #1, 17 years ago
    Here we go, attached are is my first guide on how to install PHP on a Windows PC enviroment.

I will post documents on installing MYSQL and finally MODx on windows shortly. laugh

Attached are the correct PHP Extensions you should use.

-- Now added MYSQL Guide smiley
    -- Now added MODx Install Guide smiley

If anyone has problems following these guides please let me know.

Aaron
      http://www.onesmarthost.co.uk
      UK MODX Hosting with love.
      • 36 Posts
      Thank you for this useful guides.
        • 74 Posts
        Great work, thank you for sharing!
        • Definitely thanks so much! Making this a sticky topic now. Up next, getting Friendly URLs to work? smiley
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • Sure sounds good to me. smiley

I did look at making a wiki article but kinda got lost, this sort of thing would be great in the Wiki?

Aaron
            • This stuff indeed would make great wiki fodder.
                Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                • 40 Posts
                Hey

1. The guide doesn’t work for me (at least the user permission part). I think it is because in xp it works different; you cannot simply select users. I have no idea how it does work; the dialog box is kind of obscure. secondly, i think the internet user is called IUSR_pcname instead of ISUR_pcname.
                2. although i think i found out the equivalent for the options the guide means to set, it still does not work. The modx directory asks for a password when accessed through a browser.
                2. I think its pretty ridiculous that you have to go through the user permission stuff. All my php scripts work perfectly except modx. It should work by default, it’s not good to be an exception.

I’ve been trying for hours now to get this thing installed. This problem is not the first problem i’m encountering. It is not a very good first impression.
                • The documents I have created and the permissions generally only have to be applied when the server , or IIS and PHP is originally setup although I have seem some instances later on where if for example you extract a zip file into wwwroot the permissions on the extract files get messed up.

Could you let me know more about your setup and the error you get in your browser or are you getting a dialog pop up box?

Aaron

Quote from: erikp at Jun 15, 2007, 08:41 AM

Hey

1. The guide doesn’t work for me (at least the user permission part). I think it is because in xp it works different; you cannot simply select users. I have no idea how it does work; the dialog box is kind of obscure. secondly, i think the internet user is called IUSR_pcname instead of ISUR_pcname.
                  2. although i think i found out the equivalent for the options the guide means to set, it still does not work. The modx directory asks for a password when accessed through a browser.
                  2. I think its pretty ridiculous that you have to go through the user permission stuff. All my php scripts work perfectly except modx. It should work by default, it’s not good to be an exception.

I’ve been trying for hours now to get this thing installed. This problem is not the first problem i’m encountering. It is not a very good first impression.
                    • 19 Posts
                    Quote from: rthrash at Jun 01, 2007, 08:47 PM

Up next, getting Friendly URLs to work? smiley

I apologize in advance if this is duplicate information. I just noticed the post date after typing all of this.

Updated: 10-09-2007

Requirements:

1. IIS must already be installed on the target system to successfully complete the instructions below.

Instructions:

1. Browse to http://www.isapirewrite.com/
                    2. Download ISAPI_Rewrite Lite v3 (Freeware).
                    2a. Note: Freeware; Limitation is one config for all sites vs per site config)
                    2b. Note: PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE VERSION AND TARGET OS BEFORE DOWNLOADING/INSTALLING.
                    2c. Note: Yes, I know all caps=yelling, but you’ll be yelling yourself if you install the incorrect version.
                    3. Install ISAPI_Rewrite Lite
                    4. Open the ISAPI_Rewrite Lite program directory. (Where ISAPI_Rewrite was installed.)
                    5. Open the "Helicon Manager.exe" application.
                    6. Click the "Edit" button.
                    7. Copy/paste these lines from the ht.access file distributed with MODx installtion to the bottom of the text area and "Save":

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
                    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
                    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?q=$1 [L,QSA]

8. Done. The rules are "live" -- restarting IIS is not required but always a good idea IMO.

Notes: According to the ISAPI_Rewrite forum the new(er) v3 is compatible with Apache mod_rewrite rules with few exceptions, which is a major improvement over v2 of ISAPI_Rewrite.

If you have problems getting this to work let me know and I’ll try to help. I have every version of IIS available to me -- well, everything except IIS7.

Hope this helps.
                    • I’ve just been going through these instructions for a brand new Windows 2003 PC I’m setting up for an exhibition, and it wasnt easy. It seems my docs are quite out of date now.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I will get time and document it all on a fresh Windows 2003 PC.

Aaron