We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 48 Posts
    I appreciate this has been covered many times but I am looking for a new hosting provider. I’m currently with Streamline.net… The database server goes down at least once a week, for 3 + hours. Its contract is up so i’m on the hunt for a new provider.

I think the saying goes once stung twice shy so i’m trying to do as much research before taking the plunge. I have got it down to 3 from what people are saying on these forums, any help would be much helped:

1. InMotion Hosting

2. Site5

3. Media Temple

I really like the look of the media temple site / admin panel but have reservations as people have been having difficulty installing Revo which is what i’ll be running. Is this still the case?

Inmotion looks like your bog standard hosting site but I have read good reviews.

Site5 I like the look of the admin panel but i have seen a couple of people moaning about speeds, does anyone have experience with Site5?

Again thanks for your help on an already well documented topic.
      • 1,572 Posts
      I’m with site 5 and I have had a lot of people saying my site is fast. Would also say that there support is great and there always on live chat 24 hours a day if you need them.

All in all a pritty good company.
      • Site5
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 368 Posts
          Hostgator for me - been with them for over 6 months, multiple MODx sites, good speed, great tech support, no major issues. They even have a MODx quick installer.
            Jason
            • 48 Posts
            Thanks guys, site5 it is smiley
            • Site5, their CEO is a regular on the forums.
                Patrick | Server Wrangler
                About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                • 1 Posts

I know not one of your shortlist but I cannot rate Webfaction.com highly enough for my MODx Rev/Ev hosting after trying site5 and a few others over the last few years.

You still have your ssh access and their support is amazing! Usually 5-10 mins replies via their ticket system if you need any help.
                I’ve had no downtime, I’ve been aware of with 5-6 sites.

Gareth

• 150 Posts
                  I’m on MediaTemple, very happy with them. The only issue is their method of turning on PHP5; it is done via .htaccess, so you need to grab their code for turning on PHP5 before uploading your own copy of .htaccess.
                    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein
                  • I usually just rename the existing .htaccess to .htacces.old, that way it’s still there if I need to add any of its lines to the MODx .htaccess file. In fact, I never just rename ht.access in the first place, I copy it and rename the copy.
                      Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                      Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                      Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                      • 150 Posts
                      That makes a lot of sense. I have copies of the original elsewhere, so I just rename the file, but that approach makes sense too - means no hunting around for a good copy of the original ht.access!
                        "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein