We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4 Posts
    Hello MODx community.

I recently bought hosting with Fatcow.com because of some links i found online listing Fatcow as one of the hosting companies ’Best MODx Hosting’. (This is one of the links: http://www.webhostingsecretrevealed.com/modx-hosting/ ). I was really happy with Fatcow’s service and the control panel, etc., but when i went to see if MODx was listed in their ’InstallCentral’ (a list of various apps that you can install from within the control panel instead of downloading MODx, for example, and doing it manually), MODx was not listed. So I thought, no big deal, I’ll probably just have to install it manually...but I’m sure it is supported by Fatcow because I read it on numerous sites (like the previous link) saying they support it.

I then decided to see if I could chat with someone at Fatcow to see if I could get it added to ’InstallCentral’. I discovered through the chat that Fatcow does not support MODx at all and has no plans to do so because their platform does not support the InnoDB storage engine, along with PDO, specifically pdo_mysql (for xPDO) which is also not supported. So, now I had to cancel my fatcow hosting account and find another hosting company that does support MODx. I am really disappointed with fatcow because of this, not to mention the hassle and loss of cash through this process.

I switched to SiteGround.com hosting last night because they advertise MODx hosting directly on their site ( http://www.siteground.com/modx-hosting.htm ) and I saw that they are also listed on the MODx hosting partners ( http://modxcms.com/community/partners/hosting.html ). I would have went with bluehost.com but for some reason their site wasn’t loading on my home computer last night and I didn’t have the patience to figure out why.

Anyways, I just wanted to give some people who are searching for hosting that supports MODx a heads up and thought that by posting a thread about this we can start a legitimate list of the ’Best MODx hosting companies’, maybe rate them, the pros-cons, stories, etc. Then others can use this when shopping around for a MODx hosting company.

I will post back in this thread later about Siteground.com once I get this transfer headache worked out and get MODx running.

For now and according to Fatcow: Fatcow.com does not support MODx and have no plans to in the future.

• Great thread. Look forward to seeing where it goes and maybe we’ll put up a host rating somewhere on the site.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 47 Posts
        I use Hostmonster.com and it has given me no issues with modx. I have installed manually and also used their "simple scripts" easy installation tool, which allows you to install revo or evo, and even install different versions of evo. Also, I think their prices are quite reasonable, and I’ve had all positive experiences with this company.

Hope this is what you were looking for!
          • 589 Posts
          Quote from: rthrash at Sep 24, 2010, 01:20 PM

Great thread. Look forward to seeing where it goes and maybe we’ll put up a host rating somewhere on the site.

How about moving it to this place: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/board,297.0.html
          ;)
            • 330 Posts
            I use www.Site5.com I have several sites hosted there running both evo and revo.

You have to install them yourself no autoinstall as far as i know. But again I have had no issues with installing either.

There support staff are great. When I have had issues they have been sorted quickly.
              • 11 Posts
              I was working on a clients site under fasthosts, but had PHP problems when I was using the easy2gallery package with the site!

I now own my own hosting company for small/medium sites called www.soulhosting.co.uk - the speeds of the servers are great, and none of those PHP problems fasthosts had with easy2gallery!
                • 701 Posts
                Quote from: edgeofchaos at Sep 27, 2010, 11:39 AM

I now own my own hosting company for small/medium sites called www.soulhosting.co.uk - the speeds of the servers are great, and none of those PHP problems fasthosts had with easy2gallery!

That looks like a heartinternet template smiley, but they do, do a good job on modx. Only a couple of recent issues highlighted here: http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,54174.0.html

But apart from that, they are a great reseller account for the price.
                  • 150 Posts
                  I use (affiliate link alert!) EUKHost - they don’t have an amazing looking website, but the service is great and the speed of their servers is fantastic.

They’re one of these hosts where if some obscure module isn’t installed they’ll sort that for you and, unlike many hosts, they can provision both UK and US hosting (for the same prices as well) - perfect if you’re a UK developer like me with the odd US website to host too.

I use their Linux L-VPS-01 package and it’s ample for my needs, however they also offer cloud hosting if you’re interested in that too.
                    Notanotherdotcom Ltd

Web | Print | Marketing
                    • 368 Posts
                    I use Hostgator (I’m not an affiliate). I always do manual installations, which have worked great for me, but I see that they do have 2.0.2 in their Quick Installer.
                      Jason
                      • 68 Posts
                      At the moment, I am using a shared hosting space at http://www.lunarpages.com , low cost, no technical issues, have installed modx evo and revo, unlimited space at $5 which I guess is low cost. I am not a reseller or have any stakes in that provider smiley