We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 788 Posts
    And for those more wise than me, which is most people, is there anything I should be watching for in Quantity and Amount input fields, security wise? I already validate that it is numeric and a positive number.
      Jesse R.
      Consider trying something new and extraordinary.
      Illinois Wine

Have you considered donating to MODx lately?
      Donate now. Every contribution helps.
      • 1,611 Posts
      Well, since you’ll be using Google Checkout for the actual processing I expect that they already have a lot of validation on their end, so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Forcing the value to be numeric will rule out any code being inserted in there, and making sure that it’s positive should eliminate errors when processing. The only other thing that I can think of that you might consider is chopping the length of the data to whatever your expected maxlength values might be on the server side (to eliminate the very remote possibility of an overflow attack of some sort).
        "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
        • 788 Posts
        Thanks Zap.  I will trim the input just to be on the safe side.  I just implemented the maxlength attribute in the input field.
          Jesse R.
          Illinois Wine

• 1,611 Posts
          Quote from: Jesse at Dec 12, 2007, 10:38 PM

Thanks Zap. I will trim the input just to be on the safe side. I just implemented the maxlength attribute in the input field.
          I think that the possibility of doing something nasty this way is extremely remote. However, if there is some way to do this then a hacker can easily bypass maxlength limits in the HTML. So if you really want to eliminate this possibility you should trim the input to a substring on the server side just in case...

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
            • 788 Posts
            Made them substrings. Thanks for the heads up. Even if it is extremely remote, might as well code it in since it is so easy to do.
              Jesse R.
              Illinois Wine

• 84 Posts
              Quote from: Jesse at Dec 12, 2007, 10:07 PM

In doing so you will not be able to leverage the power of ditto, ajaxsearch, wayfinder, etc. I do not know how large your shop is, MODx can handle roughly 5000 documents/products.

I see your point.

Guess I am stuck up in the old ways, I need to improve my MODx thinking wink

I do however see some obstacles when migrating from another shopping cart or when pulling products from a CRM solution when the products number in the hundreds or more.
              Can you see a way to "import" products to new templated MODx documents, so that all one had to do afterwards would be to insert pictures?

Now that would really be fantastic!

Cheers,

Andreas
                • 4,205 Posts
                Jesse R.: that is looking great. Very well done with the interface, at first I didi not know where to expect the cart info to show but it was obvious when it flashed at me.
                  [font=Verdana]Shane Sponagle | [wiki] Snippet Call Anatomy | MODx Developer Blog | [nettuts] Working With a Content Management Framework: MODx

Something is happening here, but you don't know what it is.
                  Do you, Mr. Jones? - [bob dylan]
                  • 84 Posts
                  Quote from: ganeshXL at Dec 13, 2007, 10:25 AM

Can you see a way to "import" products to new templated MODx documents, so that all one had to do afterwards would be to insert pictures?

Use the DocManager class: http://modxcms.com/Docmanager-881.html

Combine it with a simple DB-query, or CSV import, e.g. http://ch2.php.net/manual/en/function.fgetcsv.php

Thanks, ganeshXL.

This I must check out.

Cheers,

Andreas
                    • 1,611 Posts
                    And if you stick to a standard naming convention you could just upload your product images with the correct names and you wouldn’t need to insert them in each document. Sometimes I just put the images into the template, sometimes I make a snippet that verifies that the file (named in an image TV) exists before attempting to display it, and sometimes I use MaxiGallery to allow for easy uploading of multiple images by the clients (and thumbnail creation). MODx gives you a dozen ways to do just about anything.

• 788 Posts
                      Quote from: dev_cw at Dec 13, 2007, 12:17 PM

Jesse R.: that is looking great. Very well done with the interface, at first I didi not know where to expect the cart info to show but it was obvious when it flashed at me.

Thanks. I wanted it to be as intuitive as possible. I like have the cart persist on the side the entire time. I detest being taken to a checkout page, when I intend to continue shopping. I think most carts do this because all the processing logic takes place on that page, whereas here, the logic is handled in a plugin. I have started working on the Wiki Article. Once I get that somewhat finished, I am releasing the 0.1 release. I am more of a hobbyist than a serious coder, so I hope that as a community we can solidify the work that I have done and continually improve upon it. My biggest effort once I release the initial code will be to have rock solid documentation so people can get this integrated and start playing around with it.

@Zap. That is how I am doing the images, via a standard naming scheme. The I utilize the pages alias for the image, and the pagetitle for the alternate and title tags.
                        Jesse R.
                        Illinois Wine