We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • There have been attempts at a generalized e-commerce system for MODx, yet nothing really solid.
    I think it underscores the fact that e-commerce can not be reduced to one approach, no matter how flexible that approach is. I say this based on my own experience creating 4 fairly extensive e-commerce systems for 4 different businesses. The commonalities are too abstract, the specific requirements always multivalent and variable from business to business - as unique as the business owners themselves.
    Not only is there no such thing as a one-solution-fits-all, I would bet that one solution can’t even hit 25% of businesses with e-commerce needs.
    We’re going to see a proliferation of attempts. None will be worthwhile unless they identify a niche market that the solution is appropriate for.
      Mike Schell
      Lead Developer, MODX Cloud
      Email: [email protected]
      GitHub: https://github.com/netProphET/
      Twitter: @mkschell
    • You’re actually quite dead on with your analysis of ecommerce, but it’s true about ecommerce in general, and really has zero to do with MODx in particular.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 1,611 Posts
        Or if the system is totally modular and people can choose whichever they want and easily editable and extensible so they can add whatever they like. I think that MODx is ideal for creating such a system, given that its modular framework and API already get you halfway there. SHOPx is an attempt to do this, but it’s been bogged down for quite a while in the chaos that is my life lately.
          "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
        • Quote from: rthrash at Nov 07, 2007, 04:59 PM

<snip..> and really has zero to do with MODx in particular.
          That’s 100% true, but it seemed like an appropriate subject line for the "Flame Bait" forum ;-)

Quote from: ZAP at Nov 07, 2007, 05:01 PM

Or if the system is totally modular and people can choose whichever they want and easily editable and extensible so they can add whatever they like. I think that MODx is ideal for creating such a system, given that its modular framework and API already get you halfway there. SHOPx is an attempt to do this, but it’s been bogged down for quite a while in the chaos that is my life lately.
          I started this thread to share what one half of my brain feels about the subject, but in truth, I agree with you ZAP. I think if I integrate my whole brain, then what I see as being possible is the creation of an e-commerce framework, just like MODx itself is a framework. I keep seeing attempts at building "shopping cart systems", and these are what continually irk me, because they always feel like they’re supposed to be a solution for everyone, but built-in limitations are always lurking not so deep below the surface.
          Creating an e-commerce framework is no small task. I have one started myself, but it’s a ginormous project, and like you, life-chaos does not create a suitable environment for me to plug diligently away at it.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Mike Schell
            Lead Developer, MODX Cloud
            Email: [email protected]
            GitHub: https://github.com/netProphET/
            Twitter: @mkschell
          • Every now and then I dust off ShopX and look it over, but I just don’t know enough about tax and shipping and stuff like that. That’s why I tried to make it as modular as possible, so a person could just plug in his own tax module and shipping modules and payment modules.
              Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • 1,611 Posts
              Quote from: sottwell at Nov 07, 2007, 06:25 PM

Every now and then I dust off ShopX and look it over, but I just don’t know enough about tax and shipping and stuff like that. That’s why I tried to make it as modular as possible, so a person could just plug in his own tax module and shipping modules and payment modules.
              I thought that the original work that you did for the tax and shipping calculations was pretty darn solid, actually. And your Echo payment gateway is very similar to my Authorize.Net one, except I made that into an eForm function. The things that gave me the biggest headaches have been multiple option/inventory management and assorted coupon logic, since I haven’t been able to make those modular yet at all.
                "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn&#39;t very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
              • Well, my original purpose was just to make a simple catalog and shopping cart as a proof-of-concept, and I kind of got bullied into adding the checkout features! Maybe once my flat renovations are finished, and I can go home and have some peace and quiet for a change I can dive back into it. Along with a few other things I’d like to do, like learning the new 0.9.7 core and xPDO!
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • 199 Posts
                  I’m coming from a Joomla perspective, and I encourage you to to build out the eCommerce. Shipping is hugely complex on its own.

I’ve been using VirtueMart for 2 years. It’s poorly supported and I’ve spent hours upon hours digging through code to just customize the look. Best thing about VM is the CSV upload (one client has 500 products) and of course the gateway: Authorize.net.

Another I’ve been looking through is Digistore from Merav at ijoomla.com. She is super-responsive and professional. I haven’t checked it out in a month or so but it’s main flaws were shipping: each product got a shipping charge.

I could go on and on about eCommerce. I think it needs to be its own app. When MODx has a great eCommerce solution I will be all over it. I’ll help test and whatever else needs to be done. It would be a high priority of mine because then you get the best of both worlds: fantastic SEF/SEO + awesome CMS. I’ve been using MODx for only a week but compared to Drupal and Joomla I just love it and <slobber>can’t get enough of it!</slobber>.
                    MySQL: 5.0.45
                    PHP: 5.2.6
                    Linux 2.6.9-023stab048.6-enterprise #1
                    cURL enabled
                    PDO enabled
                    FFox Apple 3.6.8
                    Firebug DIS-abled
                    • 13 Posts
                    It would definitely be nice if MODx has a good E-Commerce solution that allowed a lot of customization. The lack of this has preventing me from using MODx on several projects where it would have been absolutely ideal otherwise. I personally think that if MODx being as flexible and robust as it is gets a E-Commerce solution that operates on the same ideals as the MODx development/goals I can see a lot of heads in the web development world looking this way real fast.
                    • wiremuse,

That’s exactly what you get with Foxy Cart honestly. MODx and Foxy Cart are an incredible combination that coincidentally mirrors many of the much-promoted features of the checkout found in allurent.com ($250,000 licensing costs, btw, before you ever even get started on the implementation...). I’m not associated with Foxy Cart but I’ve watched it grow up REALLY quickly and love how much time and effort it saves me in getting great e-commerce workflow. It’s not free, but it sure does hardly cost anything (starts at $15/month).
                        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me