We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 75 Posts
    But you thought the cow was free wink
      • 835 Posts
      Hi

Actually, I learn js and Jquery website (documention and tutorials) is a very good teacher.

And :

- some tutorials in different languages
      - A lot of plugins
        • 7,075 Posts
        jQuery has way more plugins than mootools, which would mean the dev community around jQuery has grown more rapidly (might be helped by friendliness too !).

I definitely thinks I’ll choose jQuery over mootools, in the end...
          .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
          • 89 Posts
          Hi.

I’ve checked both libraries last months and let me say my opinion.

IMHO, jQuery is great for enhancing web sites with JS/Ajax stuff. It’s simple, becouse there is only one principle for doing anything - the famous "find things, do stuff". You can create really advanced widgets just by specifiing the data by HTML elements than finding the root elm by id and running the correct plugin. Like $("#mytabs").tabs().

On the other hand, I found Mootools much more developer-oriented. You don’t have a bunch of ready-made widgets, but rather five to ten sets of good developer tools. Like the Base library for impelementing classes. Like the $something functions ($pick, $extend...).

So, on front-end jQ is imho the best way, since things can’t be any simpler. But if you are building the whole app in JS, I would probably vote for Mootools.
            • 1,131 Posts
            How about a combo of MooTools and EXT? That way you can have the lightweight capabilities of MooTools for the majority of the work and throw EXT in the mix when needed. Might be a win-win combo if it works. smiley

Jeff
              Jeff Whitfield

"I like my coffee hot and strong, like I like my women, hot and strong... with a spoon in them."
              • 7,075 Posts
              Quote from: tillda at Apr 29, 2007, 10:50 PM
              I’ve checked both libraries last months and let me say my opinion.

IMHO, jQuery is great for enhancing web sites with JS/Ajax stuff. It’s simple, becouse there is only one principle for doing anything - the famous "find things, do stuff". (...) On the other hand, I found Mootools much more developer-oriented. You don’t have a bunch of ready-made widgets, but rather five to ten sets of good developer tools. Like the Base library for impelementing classes. Like the $something functions ($pick, $extend...). So, on front-end jQ is imho the best way, since things can’t be any simpler. But if you are building the whole app in JS, I would probably vote for Mootools.

Thanks Tilda that clarifies it, great summary !
                .: COO - Commerce Guys - Community Driven Innovation :.

MODx est l'outil id
                • 75 Posts
                Then, why don´t mootools have any plugins if it´s such easy to develop with?
                The way is see it, Jquery should be easier anyway, since it has better documentation and a large community.
                I shurely cant´figure out why you would need another developer tool, when you already have GREAT libraries
                of code and plugins to use in Jquery. And if they do not cover it, you could just extend them and make them better.
                Thus, contributing to an already strong community.

Me for once, like Jquery because it has alot of extendability and already has all those nifty things
                and also the powerful stuff like taconite for example. What more could you possibly need? Why reinvent the wheel?
                • Mootools has been focusing on getting their framework up to speed and highly optimized for developers. The same thing has been true in a way with MODx and documentation. A lack of plugins doesn’t indicate anything one way or the other. Take a peek at their roadmap for more insight into their plans: http://dev.mootools.net/roadmap
                    Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                    Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
                    • 964 Posts
                    EDIT: And I dream of the day that MODx has the same kind of download than MooTools has.. And what the little birds are saying, the wait might not be that long.. Wink

PLEASE don´t... you can barely see what to select, you have to click each and every module and if somebody suggest that they put a download everything module they label you as stupid and say it is that way because it is only for serious developers... I think is better to do it like Mochikit... several builds depending on your need (and also the chance to build your own package).

In this interesting discussion about jQuery or MooTools, where does YUI stands??
                    Do you guys think that at the end... the two libraries that will survive will be YUI and Atlas??
                      MODX Revo Tutorials:  www.modxperience.com

MODX Professional Partner
                    • Prototype will be around because of Rails. jQuery will be around because of the documentation and community and ease of use. YUI will be around because of Yahoo! ... in short most will survive, though of all of them it seems that Mochkit seems to have stagnated the most.

I’m personally most excited right now about Ext because it offers a lot of the niceness of Dojo (for building rich UIs) without the size.
                        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me