We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    I’ve re-written this recently and added some new material at the end. It might help you understand what’s happening:

http://bobsguides.com/revolution-permissions.html
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 35 Posts
      Thanks. I followed your link and read, marked and learned!

The access controls I had working was on localhost for testing (editor could only see one folder and had limited manager rights), when I tried to duplicate it on a live site, it didn’t work. I started again using your scheme for editors, following it step by step, flushed everything at the end and the new user (editor) has full admin rights. I tried using the existing ’content editor’ policy as well as my AdminEditor, but it made no difference.

On a brighter note, I have managed to create a resource group and my new user can only see the resources I want him to in the manager. It still seems counter intuitive that instead of allowing access to resources, you have to deny access to the rest of the resources instead.

I’ve upgraded a site from Evolution to Revolution and I found your guides a great help - thanks a milllion (billion - inflation!).
        • 24,544 Posts
        Thanks for the kind words. smiley

It sounds like you’re making good progress.
          My MODX Extras
          • 87 Posts

Modx permissions still makes my head hurt. All this touted flexibility comes at a monumentally steep learning curve. It’s a huge negative for Revo. The more I read about how this permission jungle is supposed to work, the more confused I get. Wasn’t it obvious during development that the implemention of a system that requires 20 steps was probably a really really bad idea?

I think I’ve checked out most resources currently available and, sorry to say because I do appreciate any effort, most just leave me stymied and wondering why this has to be so stupidly complicated. >:(

Perhaps a best practices approach might help? I dunno. I like other parts of modx but perhaps Im just not the intended audience.

• 51 Posts
            Quote from: graves at Feb 05, 2011, 01:23 AM

Modx permissions still makes my head hurt. All this touted flexibility comes at a monumentally steep learning curve. It’s a huge negative for Revo. The more I read about how this permission jungle is supposed to work, the more confused I get. Wasn’t it obvious during development that the implemention of a system that requires 20 steps was probably a really really bad idea?

I think I’ve checked out most resources currently available and, sorry to say because I do appreciate any effort, most just leave me stymied and wondering why this has to be so stupidly complicated. >:(

Perhaps a best practices approach might help? I dunno. I like other parts of modx but perhaps Im just not the intended audience.

I have the exact same feelings about Revo, I always managed to achieve what I set out to do but the whole permissions scheme needs some sort of "Idiots guide". I’ve found that Revo ALWAYS offers me everything I need and, I’d say that 90% of my time spent using it is a dream, however every time I get round to limiting the interface for a certain user group, I meet a very big barrier. I’d love for a "User/UserGroup Setup Wizard" to become available at some point wink any takers?

Maybe some day I’ll understand it enough to build one myself... undecided

Tom Dyer

Designer/Animator/Web Developer - England, UK.
              http://www.bespokepixels.co.uk
              • 84 Posts
              I’m one of those idiots needing a guide wink

I think either in the docs or already pre-installed there should be basic content managing roles such as "site admin" (this one already comes during setup), but also "content editors", people who shouldn’t even see system settings, chunks, snippets, but only be able to create and change pages, upload documents & images, etc.

I’ll read through bobs permission guide, but actually hoped I could figure it out myself on the fly. I couldn’t yet.
                • 697 Posts
                Quote from: warenhaus at Feb 17, 2011, 09:04 AM

I’m one of those idiots needing a guide wink

I think either in the docs or already pre-installed there should be basic content managing roles such as "site admin" (this one already comes during setup), but also "content editors", people who shouldn’t even see system settings, chunks, snippets, but only be able to create and change pages, upload documents & images, etc.

I’ll read through bobs permission guide, but actually hoped I could figure it out myself on the fly. I couldn’t yet.

Hi guys, I have been told by a colleague of mine that these steps did not work for him. He is using the latest revo build.
                This is an area of Revo that REALLY needs to be well documented, as its something 90% of people will want to do with their clients to stop them breaking stuff.

There is a screencast by splittingred, but again its for an older version of revo, and I found it hard to follow.
                Can the gawds of documentation please smile on us?

• 24,544 Posts
                  Quote from: jusmeig at Feb 17, 2011, 11:42 AM

Hi guys, I have been told by a colleague of mine that these steps did not work for him. He is using the latest revo build.

Um ... what steps?
                    My MODX Extras
                    • 84 Posts
                    probably these: "Limited Manager Users Who Can See All Documents"
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Quote from: warenhaus at Feb 18, 2011, 12:26 PM

probably these: "Limited Manager Users Who Can See All Documents"

I would a lot need more to go on than "didn’t work for him" in order to either improve the documentation (which seems pretty explicit to me) or to say where he went wrong. wink

Maybe you could try it yourself and see if it works for you? It worked for me when I tested it, but then I may have forgotten to document one or more steps.
                        My MODX Extras