We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 4,213 Posts
    I have thought about doing something similar to eclipse ide.. Here’s a initial pic for what I did last weekend. Nothing working in that yet but here’s my plans:

There would be atleast those views that are visible in that picture, each view would list the resources in tree menu. The objects in the tree menu would have context sensitive popups etc. Then when you double click on a object, it would open it in a "form view" in that editor area. The form view would be built dynamically based on the resource and it would look much like it does on the HTML manager. Then each code section would have a button to open the content in a editor in eclipse (shortcut through popup menus straight from the tree object) for example in phpeclipse’s editor.

New sites would be done by adding new php projects in phpeclipse and setting MODx specific settings in the project (eg. database info etc). If the php project has modx files in it, the info could be automatically loaded from config.inc.php or some separate file.. Then all those modx views would listen the phpeclipse navigator view, so that when you move from one php project to another, it will automatically refresh all the modx views to correspond to that project.

If you have used eclipse before, you know that the GUI is pretty well customizable so you could arrange those views etc the way you want. The advantage to build something like this onto eclipse is that it’s instantly usable across platforms and you can use nice editors to write your code.. eg. phpeclipse php editor and aptana has good javascript editors etc.. this modx plugin could be installed over to aptana too ofcourse.

But I think that it’s not very good to have many same kind of apps in the project and it’s a waist of time to develop the same thing with different tools side by side.. so, I don’t think that should I continue this or not? Would there be any interest in joining forces? (I understand that you already bought some IDE Scotty, so not sure?).. anyways, what are your thoughts about this?

(btw.. feel free to split this to another topic)

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
      • 4,213 Posts
      Btw, I haven looked into Command Control very much as I don’t have a mac, but is it aimed to MODx managers or to the developers or both or....? Because if it’s for using/managing the site, I guess it would make sense to do another onto eclipse for developers..

"He can have a lollipop any time he wants to. That's what it means to be a programmer."
        • 1,193 Posts
        Quote from: doze at Feb 08, 2007, 09:35 PM

Btw, I haven looked into Command Control very much as I don’t have a mac, but is it aimed to MODx managers or to the developers or both or....? Because if it’s for using/managing the site, I guess it would make sense to do another onto eclipse for developers..

I made it because I have a blog site and I also made a blog site for my wife (both MODx powered of course). I wanted to see if I could create a desktop app for publishing content to my (or her) site, an app that would be easier than logging into the manager just to post a new blog. Also, I wanted things like image upload which is not available for the NewsPublisher Snippet.
          Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
          All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages
          • 4,213 Posts
          Yes, so then it’s quite different of what I’m planning.. Your app makes it easier to use, mine hopefully makes it easier to develop.. someday..

• 1,193 Posts
            Quote from: doze at Feb 08, 2007, 10:18 PM

Yes, so then it’s quite different of what I’m planning.. Your app makes it easier to use, mine hopefully makes it easier to develop.. someday..
            Well, hopefully we will run into some similar problems and can bounce ideas off each other.

-sD-
            Dr. Scotty Delicious, Scientist.
              Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
              All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages
              • 283 Posts
              this looks fabulous ... any chance of being a late beta tester laugh

Everytime you use Flash ... a puppy dies .....
                R.G Taylor
                • 87 Posts
                Wow, sweet. Another Mac user here, so I don’t mind the app being Apple only... Although making it work on multiple platforms would be great and more to the spirit of MODx. wink

I like the name. No need to change, IMHO.
                  • 100 Posts
                  Hi!

First of all: thank you for this cool app. I wanted to try it out, as a late beta-tester, but I got stuck: on my current webpage are most documents not public, access permission is just given for specific groups after login ... Command Control now just shows me the login page, nothing else ;-)
                    my newest webpage [url=http://gitarren.zucali.at]Meisterwerkstatt f
                    • 925 Posts
                    Man, that’s one helluva cool app. If I had a Mac, I’d test that out. wink
                      My Snippets
                      -> PopUpChunk v1.0
                      • 22 Posts
                      I tried to download a copy (cmdctrl.0.0.5.dmg.zip). After unzipping I get a folder with a corrupt .dmg inside. Any chance you could check it out? I’d love to try this thing.