We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 258 Posts
    Hey Scotty, nice work on this. Very impressive.

If you’d like some help with Cocoa dev on this project, please ping me. I’ve been looking for an excuse to bust out XCode again smiley
    • One last one ... Preview window seems to make everything a bit too small on the fonts. Still amazed. smiley (moving this to "stuff in development" instead of off topic)
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
        • 1,193 Posts
        Quote from: vbrilon at Jan 26, 2007, 02:22 PM

Hey Scotty, nice work on this. Very impressive.

If you’d like some help with Cocoa dev on this project, please ping me. I’ve been looking for an excuse to bust out XCode again smiley
        Victor, I have actually been meaning to do that. Thank you for the offer. I hope that I do not become your biggest annoyance!

Quote from: rthrash at Jan 26, 2007, 01:11 PM

1) Didn’t realize you had to double-click to bring up a document the first time. I’d like to see some logic that checks to see if a document is currently open and if not, to open one on clicking the menu tree. If there is one open, ask if you want to save any changes (only if you’ve made them) before navigating away.
        You’re right, I didn’t realize that double clicking to open wouldn’t be immediately obvious. Do you think single click to open a doc would be better? I totally agree with displaying an alert to confirm closing if there are unsaved changes. Not sure how to best implement it yet, but consider it important enough to get done ASAP

2) HTML button should bring the window back to front when clicking on it. E.g., I’ve got a bunch of apps open and click on an app running in the bg. I want to go back by clicking on the page editing page. I don’t see my HTML window and click the HTML button, but nothing happens. Solution: bring all windows to front.
        Hmmm. I didn’t even thing about that. Good one. Can do.

3) View should be labeled Preview, needs a corresponding menu entry, and use the cmd-U shortcut. HTML could get the opt-cmd-U shortcut (or vice-versa).
        Well, this is stupid, and I only noticed it after I released 0.0.3, but I set the preview to cmd+V, which made sense at the time until I tried to paste some content into the RTE and the preview window popped up! It is changed to cmd+shift+U for 0.0.4.

4) HTML view does not preserve line endings or spacing (and could stand a bit of syntax coloring! tongue).
        I am just beginning to understand that this "little" project I wanted to try is actually 4 pretty big projects.
        1) An XML-RPC server to communicate with the MODx database.
        2) A cocoa GUI for interacting with the data returned from the XML-RPC server.
        3) A RTE for HTML editing (I am beginning to see why the TinyMCE is so heavy)
        4) An FTP client for uploading / managing images to be included in documents.

I am sure as this project matures, and as I learn more about developing on OS X (Primarily done is AppleScript right now), this will really turn out to be a full featured program. I hope that development keeps unfolding as quickly as it has. (I started this thing 2 weeks ago smiley).

-sD-
        Dr. Scotty Delicious, Scientist.
          Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.
          All of the above... in no specific order.

I send pointless little messages
        • Keep going, Scotty! grin

One feature request I would like to mention is the ability to save multiple site settings within the program - I have a couple of sites that I work on, although one is mainly for testing atm, but it would be great to be able to have a dropdown menu to quickly switch between one or the other.

Anyway, great work again! I’m really impressed with this ...
            Garry Nutting
            Senior Developer
            MODX, LLC

Email: [email protected]
            Twitter: @garryn
            Web: modx.com
            • 1,193 Posts
            New version (0.0.4) attached to the first post.

Changes:
            the Document list window now has a popup menu to choose the sort order, and a popup menu to create a new document by selecting it’s purposed parent from the list. This list is dynamically generated by querying the database for all documents that have "isfolder" set to 1.

Preview window keyboard shortcut changed to cmd+shift+U.

Clicking the HTML button or pressing cmd+U brings the html window to the front and sets it as the key window. No more lost windows Ryan!

I am making some progress on the RTE, but it is buggy and terrible still, so the buttons are still disabled.

@ Garry and Ryan:
            A multiple site/account preference tab is high on my list of things to do. Great idea.

-sD-
              Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Programmer, Atheist, Nurse, Friend, Lover, Fighter.

• 788 Posts
              So I guess I need to get a Mac grin
                Jesse R.
                Consider trying something new and extraordinary.
                Illinois Wine

Have you considered donating to MODx lately?
                Donate now. Every contribution helps.
              • Dammit, Scotty, I haven’t even had a chance to upgrade to 0.3 yet!
                  Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                  Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                  Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • 1,193 Posts
                  Quote from: sottwell at Jan 27, 2007, 07:02 AM

Dammit, Scotty, I haven’t even had a chance to upgrade to 0.3 yet!
                  I refuse to let development come to a crawl. One release every 2 days for the next 48 weeks! tongue (j/k).

in 0.0.4, there may be a small bug where cmdctrl.php returns a transport error on trying to connect initially. To correct this, choose "id" (or any menu item) from the sort by pop up and hit connect (or refresh).

-sD-

• 577 Posts
                    Haven’t downloaded yet but I was wondering if you were using WEBKIT to preview the pages and such?
                    Then you’d be able to shift away from using a browser completely when working on modx sites smiley
                      Tangent-Warrior smiley
                    • He is Carsten. smiley
                        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
                        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me