We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 6 Posts
    Hope your all having a lovely day!

I have an instance of Modx installed on a server using ModSecurity.
    I'm having no end of issues trying to get the site functioning correctly. Every time I run into an issue I then have to go into the logs, find all the information I need and then whitelist.

For other CMS' there is normally a ruleset that can just be pasted into the Apache config.

Does anyone know where I can find a ruleset for Modx?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
      • 1,572 Posts
        • 6 Posts
        Quote from: paulp at Jan 10, 2019, 03:51 PM
        This any good to you

https://docs.modx.com/revolution/2.x/getting-started/installation/basic-installation/installation-on-a-server-running-modsecurity

Thanks for the quick reply!

Unfortunately, I have read that article in the past. Even though it shows examples, the rule id's just don't seem to mean anything to our server. I don't know if the article is maybe out of date?
          • 24,544 Posts
          Turning off mod_security for the MODX directories, or at least the Manager directory might solve your problems if it's an option for you.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 6 Posts
            Quote from: BobRay at Jan 10, 2019, 10:19 PM
            Turning off mod_security for the MODX directories, or at least the Manager directory might solve your problems if it's an option for you.

I will have to ask the security guy and see if this is an option. Thanks for the help
              • 6 Posts
              Quote from: BobRay at Jan 10, 2019, 10:19 PM

I will have to ask the security guy and see if this is an option. Thanks for the help
                • 1,154 Posts
                I went through a month of modsecurity hell because the hoster applied some new rules. It was terrible, honestly.

I have a lot of text in an MIGX structure, several pages of different text, and it was a slow process of triggering each new rule, waiting for the hoster to remove it, then triggering another one.

Try to follow BobRay's advice, it could help a lot.
                  • 6 Posts
                  Quote from: nuan88 at Jan 11, 2019, 12:16 PM
                  I went through a month of modsecurity hell because the hoster applied some new rules. It was terrible, honestly.

I have a lot of text in an MIGX structure, several pages of different text, and it was a slow process of triggering each new rule, waiting for the hoster to remove it, then triggering another one.

Try to follow BobRay's advice, it could help a lot.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I have asked the security guy if this would be an option, so I'm awaiting his response.

I think I may just have to crawl the logs until we fix every error we come across. [ed. note: carlpiper last edited this post 5 years, 3 months ago.]
                    • 1,154 Posts
                    just trigger and report, tell them to check you log every dang morning when they get into work. otherwise its email, wait, email, wait, it was terrible

tell them you will be triggering every day till it works. btw to do what BobRay said will NOT affect your site security in any appreciable way
                      • 6 Posts
                      Quote from: nuan88 at Jan 11, 2019, 12:30 PM
                      just trigger and report, tell them to check you log every dang morning when they get into work. otherwise its email, wait, email, wait, it was terrible

tell them you will be triggering every day till it works. btw to do what BobRay said will NOT affect your site security in any appreciable way

Thanks for the advice. [ed. note: carlpiper last edited this post 5 years, 3 months ago.]