We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 20 Posts
    Hi I am looking for a FormIt anti-spam method that does not rely on recaptcha. I already use the hidden field with validation method, but that is it. I see Akismet 0.1.0-dev1, but is this still supported/functioning? It doesn't seem to have been updated in a while and has no documentation. Thanks!
      • 1,154 Posts
      One strategy is to have another text box and ask users to input the right response. Sometimes it is a math problem (in a jpg so its hard for the bots to read, maybe cloaked a bit with some random lines/shapes to make it harder).

Other times it is as simple as, 'who won the super bowl in 1993', that's tough for a bot and relatively easy for the user, anyway they can check.

The question/answer is usually related to what the user should/does know, like, 'what company are you contacting', assuming its pretty obvious.

In my understanding these work well.
      • CSRFHelper can add an additional layer, but spammers are pretty adept at properly using such hidden tokens as well, so it's not a great anti-spam tool.

FormIt has a math hook as well that you can use, to do one thing @nuan88 suggested.

You didn't mention why you don't want to use recaptcha. If it's because you don't want the recaptcha challenge, you may be pleased to learn that recaptcha v3 is now supported. . If you don't want to use it because you dislike google, then that doesn't help you unfortunately. tongue
          Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
          • 20 Posts
          Quote from: markh at Jan 08, 2019, 12:03 PM
          CSRFHelper can add an additional layer, but spammers are pretty adept at properly using such hidden tokens as well, so it's not a great anti-spam tool.

FormIt has a math hook as well that you can use, to do one thing @nuan88 suggested.

You didn't mention why you don't want to use recaptcha. If it's because you don't want the recaptcha challenge, you may be pleased to learn that recaptcha v3 is now supported. . If you don't want to use it because you dislike google, then that doesn't help you unfortunately. tongue

Sadly, any captcha dramatically reduces any conversions, and no marketer I have worked with ever tollerates their use.
            • 20 Posts
            Does anyone know how to use Akismet extra, or if it is even current?
              • 1,154 Posts
              I can't confirm but I believe it works fine, used it last year
                • 20 Posts
                Quote from: nuan88 at Jan 15, 2019, 10:52 PM
                I can't confirm but I believe it works fine, used it last year
                Can you give me an example using it with Formit? Sorry to ask for the hand holding, but I'm kind of at my wits end lol.
                  • 1,154 Posts
                  oh sorry I am wrong about that, hmm the author is a reliable member of Modx...but there is no documentation for this thing.

You can try calling the snippet with [[!akismetCommentCheck]] but I can't see how it could work...seems like no one touched it after release
                    • 20 Posts
                    Well off to ClickFunnels it is, if it's a mess I can blame their marketer lol.
                      • 1,154 Posts
                      yeah sorry, recaptcha works for most people so I think we all use it. weird that this one is so undocumented and seemingly unused