We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 416 Posts
    I started with fresh installation of 2.6.5. I installed a bunch of extras, including the Upgrade Modx widget. I ran the Upgrade Widget to install 2.7.0. The upgrade ran with no errors. However, once I start navigating around my error log starts filling up with this message. It seems clicking any modx menu items or resource will generate another error (all the same).

[2018-11-29 21:09:41] (ERROR in modProcessor::run @ /var/www/html/modx/core/model/modx/modprocessor.class.php : 177) Flat file processor support is deprecated since version 2.7.0. 

The sever is running

PHP Version 7.1.8
    mysql database version: 5.1.73-log

Thoughts?
      • 24,544 Posts
      That's referring to a Custom Manager Page (CMP) extra (possibly one of mine) or other page that still uses the old routing via modAction instead of the new namespace-based routing.

Unfortunately, I don't see anything in the message to indicate which extra it is. The error message should include a namespace, but maybe that's not available at that point.

You might be able to tell by examining the Network tab in Chrome or Firefox (Ctrl-shift-i) while loading manager pages that throw the error.

The log_deprecated System Setting might turn off the errors (or not), but then we'd never find out what's causing them.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 416 Posts
        Thanks Bob.

I just got a note this morning from my client's IT folks, who manage the server. They turned off the warning and the errors stopped. So unfortunately, we won't know it's origin.

Thanks for getting back to me.
          • 123 Posts
          I'm getting the same error plus a few others too:

(ERROR in modTemplateVar::renderOutput @ /.../core/model/modx/modtemplatevar.class.php : 288) Old modTemplateVar getRender outputmethod is deprecated since version 2.2.0.

(ERROR in xPDO::getService @ /.../core/xpdo/xpdo.class.php : 1234) modRestClient::__construct is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Use the modRest classes instead.

(ERROR in modRestCurlClient::__construct @ /.../core/model/modx/rest/modrestcurlclient.class.php : 26) modRestClient::__construct is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Use the modRest classes instead.

(ERROR in modMenu::getSubMenus @ /.../core/model/modx/modmenu.class.php : 145) modAction support is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Support for modAction has been replaced with routing based on a namespace and action name. Please update the extra with the namespace formit to the routing based system.

(ERROR in modMenu::getSubMenus @ /.../core/model/modx/modmenu.class.php : 145) modAction support is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Support for modAction has been replaced with routing based on a namespace and action name. Please update the extra with the namespace redirector to the routing based system.

I'm running only a handful of extras: Breadcrumbs, controlErrorLog, Copyright, Formit, getResources, ReCaptchaV2, Redirector, UpgradeMODX and Wayfinder.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks,
          Paulien
            • 11 Posts
            Please read this: https://www.markhamstra.com/modx/2018/deprecated-notices-in-modx-2.7/

I was getting those errors too after updating to 2.7.0, but now I disabled them with the described system option - the error log was flooded. I'm looking forward to get some update for the concerned extras, but some of them have not received any update for a pretty long time (like Quip for example).
              • 24,544 Posts
              I know some of my older extras still use modAction, but I don't know which ones. I'll try to find time to update them.
                My MODX Extras
                • 11 Posts
                My short list of extras which are causing the errors:

• Redirector
                • FormIt
                • Quip
                • ClientConfig
                • Collections
                • Tagger
                • BannerY
                • VersionX
                • CronManager
                • FileAttach

Also after upgrading there are other errors like
                modRestClient::__construct is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Use the modRest classes instead.
                and
                Flat file processor support is deprecated since version 2.7.0.
                and
                ERROR @ /www/htdocs/modx/core/xpdo/om/xpdoobject.class.php : 240) Error 42S22 executing statement:
                Array
                (
                [0] => 42S22
                [1] => 1054
                [2] => Unknown column 'transport.modTransportProvider' in 'where clause'
                )
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Interesting. The only ones of mine I found are are SiteCheck, Orphans, and RefreshCache. MyComponent also creates menu items the old way. I think I've fixed MyComponent but the fixed version isn't released yet.

The only other installed extra I found that needs fixing is ChimpX.
                    My MODX Extras
                    • 670 Posts
                    I have been getting this error when installing extras since the upgrade:

modAction support is deprecated since version 2.3.0. Support for modAction has been replaced with routing based on a namespace and action name. Please update the extra with the namespace bigbrother to the routing based system.

It seems to be with almost all extras. Is there something I need to do, or is something the extras developers will update?

Just unsure if this will cause problems to my sites?

Thanks
                    Andy

• 24,544 Posts
                      Andy, please read the messages earlier in this thread. That will tell you how to turn off the errors. It will also give you a list of the the extras that cause this error.

Yes, it's only extras, not MODX itself, that cause this error. No, it will not cause problems to your sites, although it could in the future. For the most part, the extras that cause the error are ones with a Custom Manager Page (CMP) that use the old way of calling their controller(s) via a modAction object. This has been deprecated for some time, but notifications about it started in MODX 2.7.0.

Hopefully, the extras will be updated soon so the error no longer occurs.

My MODX Extras