We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 12 Posts
    Hello I am new to MODX. I was giving a project at a small salon of updating our website. We have version 2.6.5-PL. I have updated the extras and have unlocked any unsaved sessions. The issue I am having is my Service Manager tab loads a blank page and the same thing happens on our actual website for the service tab. I am a complete newbie and really need laymans terms.. as i am lucky i figured out how to update the extras! [ed. note: artisitc_1 last edited this post 5 years, 4 months ago.]
      • 1,154 Posts
      Ok I will try to help, I was a newbie once as well.

First off, I do believe you are going to have to upgrade Modx to 2.6.5, the latest. There was a nasty vulnerability discovered recently and so its really important to upgrade.

Upgrading isn't too tough but its not just a few clicks to be honest.

There is an extra called UpgradeModx, so your extra skills will be useful. I think it would be best to install that and upgrade before anything else.

After upgrade, possibly the problem is fixed, or there could be new problems, we can deal with them after the upgrade.

Keep in touch we can support you! This community is really good.
        • 12 Posts
        @nuan88 it says that i am 2.6.5-pl is that not up to date?
          • 1,154 Posts
          Ah ok I thought you were on an older install. Ok great that part is fine then.

So let's talk about this Service Manager tab, you mean there is a tab both in the manager and on the site?

Service tab is unclear to me. Let's be clear about Modx manager or on your side. Modx normally has resources tab, elements tab and files tab, on the left side of the manager.

So, please tell us more. Again, is the problem on the site and in the manager, or perhaps its a resource of the site?

Perhaps a couple pictures would be helpful, we will need to look at some code probably but I don't know where the offending code will be.

You can use GIMP easily to cut a screenshot down to size, to remove any personal info. Just go to tools-crop and cut out the pieces you want to show.

Basically please tell us more so we can help resolve this
            • 1,154 Posts
            Reading your first message more carefully, I think you are talking about a menu, like a bar or tower made up of links, like 'services'. Unsure about where else you mean this is a problem.

For the menu on the site, it will be made by a tool usually, that will 'get' the pages from a specified folder. This allows for the menu (usually the drop-down style) to be dynamic, so that you can simply make a new resource for a new service, and put it into the right folder, and it will immediately appear in the list.

But, I don't know much about the tools your site is using now. Just a bit of overview.
              • 12 Posts
              the last button under extras allows me to edit "services" we offer at the salon including prices and service names. i am working off a printed out guide from 2013 so bare with me....
                • 12 Posts
                http://www.theartistic.com/

this is our site. when on our site it you click services on the tab at the top it brings you to a blank page. im hoping seeing from our actual website might help you navigate me to the right tool or add on or update.
                  • 1,154 Posts
                  Ok I see it now. Don't worry give yourself a bit of time.

Ok I am a little unaware of this extra, could you possible go into extras and show us the list, including this 'services management' please?

Also, please in the manager go to the error log and see if any errors are popping up at the time that you try to open the services page on the site.

Let's get a bit more info and then hopefully we can find a way forward.

Now I just want to note that, I see this site looks live, so I wonder if we might first focus on replacing the services section with something that at least will work. This would require some time and effort as well, so I am not sure whether to attack the root problem or first make a fix just so users don't see the blank page.

My thinking would be to replace (for now) the services options with one page, perhaps similar to your 'about' page. Possibly you could assemble the list of services in text, that way the users wouldn't even notice there is any problem, it won't be as nice as the menu but it would still look ok. We could use the about template to give it the same style.

Again I am not sure about the best way forward, but its an option you can consider. But, the text would end up looking something like this, its html so that the style of the content can be made nice (using css). If we looked at your 'about' page code we could make the same style.

<h1>Our Services</h1>

<p>We have many services to choose from.</p>

<h3>Coloring</h3>

<p>We can color your hair perfectly</p>

<h3>Cutting</h3>

<p>Our professionals are expert at all hairstyles.</p>

And so on, you probably should just copy and paste the content on services you have now, and a little arranging and it would be ok.

This is assuming we can't find a quick fix though. Still, it could take the pressure off a bit.
                    • 12 Posts
                    i dont mind doing a mock service page but if i do that im not sure how to apply that to the service tab. and if i do that do i lose the service manager thing that i have???
                      • 1,154 Posts
                      Ok those errors look strange, I really don't know what to do with them. Other users will be along to have a look later. But things here do move a bit slow to be honest.

For the temporary fix, you wouldn’t lose anything because you would just remove a bit of code and if you save it you can always put it back in. Actually what you would want to do is make a backup page just like the front page now, that would be the one to use to fix the underlying problem.

Ok so let's at least define the parts of your system. You should have a template which is your main template, it seems to be used on every page of the site. That's in the 'elements' tab, in the manager at the top. You can check any page of the site to see which template its using.

That template will have code or a 'chunk' or both. A chunk looks like [[$sometitle]], and its just some html, its convenient to push that bit into a chunk for various reasons.

It should start out with <head> (not <header> which is below) which is where some code goes for styling and also some data goes here like site description (that helps in google). Then the <head> will close like this </head>.

After that it should start with a <container>, <body> or <section>, and the part we want is fairly near the top. You'll have some code for those three elements at top, appointment BBB and Avena.

Then the header picture, then this bit with the menu. If you could provide the menu code it would be helpful.

Good luck, keep in touch!