We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 8 Posts
    Quote from: BobRay at Feb 26, 2019, 06:37 PM
    @Sean Kimball:
    I run a daily incremental backup with a 90 day history - so there was that, but it doesn't have any sort of file diffing tools that I could use to isolate the new and modified files.

It's still labor intensive, but you might find this interesting as a large-scale diffing tool: https://bobsguides.com/blog.html/2018/09/20/comparing-things-in-phpstorm-iii/. It compares whole directories showing files that are in one and not the other. When two files exist, but are not the same, you can click to see the differences.

@evalykke: That error message is "normal" in MODX 2.7.0 and probably doesn't have anything to do with your problems.

Do you have a backup of the site from before the hack?

Yes I have a copy on a local xampp server.
      • 24,544 Posts
      Yes I have a copy on a local xampp server.

What I would do in your situation is to first upgrade the local site to at least MODX 2.6.5 and then update *all* the extras.

I'd probably also move the core directory above the web root during the following process and rename the Manager directory, connectors, and assets directories.

I'd wipe everything on the remote site (back it up first), change my Server Passwords (cPanel, FTP, PhpMyAdmin), then change my username and password on the local site, make sure I can log in, then move it to the remote. Don't copy the core/cache directory. Export the local DB, delete the remote DB and create a new one with a different name, and import the local DB dump into it.

Before logging in to the new remote site, you'll have to edit the core/config/config.inc.php file to update the paths and the DB name and credentials (and the renamed manager, assets, connectors directories, and moved core if you made those changes).

You'll also have to edit the three config.core.php files (root, manager, and connectors directories) on the remote site to point to the core location.

You may also have to edit your .htaccess file if it exists on the localhost site.

[ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 5 years, 1 month ago.]
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting