We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 26 Posts
    I've just tried installing the extra NewsPublishers and had some errors (or rather, lines in red) that I don't know if I should worry about (or can somehow fix manually)? Please see attached image for details.
    (PS. I've tried reinstalling the extra, but nothing much changed - the same lines where still in red.)

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

• 24,544 Posts
      Yes, those may be critical errors.

NP tries to install a resource called "NewsPublisher" and then sets other important settings related to it. I've never seen that error.

Did you already have a resource with that name?
      Does the user who ran the install (probably you) have permission to create resources in the MODX root?
      Does the "NewsPublisher" resource exist?

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 26 Posts
        No, I didn't have a resource called NewsPublisher (and it hasn't created it either - but npElFinder and npElFinderConnector is there).
        There is so far only one user (the admin that I'm logged in with), so I'm assuming all the permissions are as they should be?
        • discuss.answer
          • 24,544 Posts
          Duh, I was a little slow on this. This is from the NewsPublisher docs:

Setting up a basic form is very simple. Create a document called "NewsPublisher" in the Manager and put the following code in the Resource Content field:

[[!NewsPublisher]]

Move the two elFinder resources under the NewsPublisher page in the tree.

My MODX Extras
            • 26 Posts
            Wait, so I have to add the NewsPublisher resource before I install the extra?

Update: I did so and ran the installer again - the first two errors where fixed, but the last one is still there (see attachment).

Also, should the NewsPublisher resource have any specific settings or such? [ed. note: wyrdling last edited this post 5 years, 9 months ago.]
            • discuss.answer
              • 24,544 Posts
              Just do this:

Make a note of the ID of the NewsPublisher page.

Go to System (gear icon) -> System Settings. Put np_login_id in the search box at the upper right of the grid and press enter. You should see the np_login_id System Setting.

Double click on the value field of the np_login_id setting and set it to the ID of the NewsPublisher page.

Then, clear the cache and you should be in business.

My MODX Extras
                • 26 Posts
                (Sorry for the slow reply) Thank you.

PS. Is this a common occurence or shouldn't the extra have installed the NewsPublisher resource on it's own? Just curious.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Maybe. wink

I know there's a reason it doesn't, but I can't remember what it is.
                    My MODX Extras
                    • 26 Posts
                    By the way, is there a way to customize the text on the newspublisher page (like "title", "long title", "summary (introtext)" etc.)? It would make more sense to give the fields different names (for the users I have in mind who aren't familiar with ModX terminology).

[Edit] Wait, that's what the &caption is for, right? Aha!

Also, just a note, the text "description" and it's hover text (plus the text "content") is in Danish (I had chosen Danish as the main language to begin with but has later changed it back to English, since the translation wasn't useful) - it's just odd that NP uses some of the old language keys. [ed. note: wyrdling last edited this post 5 years, 8 months ago.]
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      The old lexicon strings could be the MODX cache, or your browser cache.
                        My MODX Extras