We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    I was mistaken about the ExtJS-related CSS classes and identifiers being mostly gone from the Manager. They just don't show up in "View Source" because they're injected by ExtJS. The core code is still riddled with Ext references, including over 1300 calls to Ext.getCmp(), which it's my understanding is a bad practice.
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 1,154 Posts
      Quote from: raffenberg at Jul 16, 2018, 08:12 AM
      It was discussed a lot to have the upgrade in the core. Conclusion always was to have it not in the core. The profit is to have a more maintainable core. As it is with different other extras, it would be helpful for new users if they know about them. I see the startpage after succesfull installation as a possible place to give users a hint about them.

Yes 100% yes, the startpage but also the basic manager view needs to finally be a development center not a bug-fixing report.

Extras need to be right. There. Hot ones, basic ones, new ones. 1000%

Advanced users can always modify what they want to see, and they don't need the dash to the extent that new users do.

Or they spend 6 months figuring it out! Trust me I know!! :'(

What are the 5 most basic things we need people to know, once install is complete? 10 things perhaps
        • 322 Posts
        Quote from: BobRay at Jul 16, 2018, 08:30 PM
        There's also no excuse for Setup asking you where the core is during an update -- there are three different config.core.php files it could check.

Yes, it baffles me why setup doesn't see where the core is in custom setups. It makes me go and find where I put that folder, and what it's named, for each site (since I don't do them all the same way). It's a big waste of time.
          • 24,544 Posts
          @rainbowtiger -- the upcoming release of UpgradeMODX fixes this. The trick is to copy the config.core.php file from the root to the setup/includes directory (with a slight modification to the file). Piece of cake, really.

In fact, I think if you ran this script after putting the files in place, Setup would no longer ask you where the core is:

$rootCoreConfig = MODX_BASE_PATH . 'config.core.php';

if (file_exists($rootCoreConfig)) {
             $newStr = "define('MODX_SETUP_KEY', '@traditional@');\n?>";
             $content = file_get_contents($rootCoreConfig);
             if (strpos($content, 'MODX_SETUP_KEY') === false) {
                  if (strpos($content, '?>') !== false) {
                      $content = str_replace('?>', $newStr, $content);
                  } else {
                      $content .= "\n" . $newStr;
                  }
                  file_put_contents(MODX_BASE_PATH . 'setup/includes/config.core.php', $content);
             }
          }

If you download the advanced distribution, I assume that you'd want to change @traditional@ to @advanced@.

[ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 5 years, 9 months ago.]
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting