We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 322 Posts
    What does "template variables" mean? Not much to my clients who aren't programmers. I've tried changing this term in the lexicon to other phrases, but I don't really like anything I've come up with. I've tried:

1. "Custom Fields". This is OK, but the TVs aren't just fields, they're also settings, images, etc.

2. "Extras". I kind of like this, but then I have to change "Extras" ("Components" in older versions of MODX) to "Plugins" in the main menu. I like "Plugins" better anyway, since people always know what that means. "Extras" is a little vague, though.

Has anyone else used a different term for template variables in their customized setup for clients? Anyone have any other ideas what might be a suitable alternate phrase?
    [ed. note: rainbowtiger last edited this post 6 years, 8 months ago.]
      • 1,145 Posts

1. Content Fields
      2. Custom Fields
      3. Custom Blocks
      4. Content Blocks
      5. My Blocks
      6. Content Chunks
      7. Custom Content Fields
      8. Custom Output Fields
      9. Frontend Fields
      10. My Own Input
      11. Template Changeables
      12. Template Changelings
      13. Things I can Change
      14. My Input
      15. My Fields
      16. My Space
      17. My Variables
      18. Custom Fields

I could go on till doom's day; will any suite you? that's another topic!

Enjoy!
        TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
        Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
        5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
        • 24,544 Posts
        I would use 'Custom Resource Fields' and call things like 'pagetitle' just 'Resource Fields'.

Calling them Template Variables does remind people that they have to be attached to a template to work, but if the client isn't attaching them, that's not so important.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 1,145 Posts
          I thought of Resource, but realised that the word means little to some people.

Someone says:

What do you mean by "my resources", you mean the stuff that I have at my disposal/use?

Document might be a better word.
            Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
            5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Good point. 'Document Fields' and 'Custom Document Fields' might be a good option (assuming that the client knows what a field is wink ).
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 1,145 Posts
              LOL

A farm where they grow office documents?
              Wut!

Custom Document Input
              Custom Document Thingies
                • 22 Posts
                custom fields
                  • 322 Posts
                  Quote from: donshakespeare at Aug 30, 2017, 07:13 PM
                  LOL
                  A farm where they grow office documents?
                  Got a good laugh out of that one!!

I'd really like a term that includes both "fields" and "settings". Maybe there isn't one. (Except maybe "thingies"!) "Variables" does, but it's just too mathematical.

Also, thinking about "custom", that makes sense to me as a programmer, but I wonder about it for clients using the interface. To them, if they're editing a resource that has fields and settings for a speaker, for example, why would a field for "speaker photo" be "custom"? To them, that's what they'd expect when editing speaker information. What's "custom" about it from the client's point of view? I've also thought about:

More Settings
                  Advanced Settings
                  Extended Info

Nothing seems to really fit. :-(
                    • 5,888 Posts
                    You could add and rename the tabs, depending on the template

If it is the speakers-template, for example, why not something like

Speaker Settings

or

Additional Speaker Settings
                      -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
                      • 322 Posts
                      As I mentioned, "settings" and "fields" are both too restrictive, since the tab includes both of these.

But maybe I don't need either of these at all. I could call the tab just "Custom". That's descriptive enough. Or maybe just "More", or "more info". "Additional" is good, too, but it needs a noun after it (that's why I tried using "Extras" for some sites). Or maybe, "Additions"?

I do make extensive use of manager customization and create specific tabs where appropriate, like "Sidebars", "SEO", "Comments", etc.