We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 141 Posts
    Quote from: scraf at Jun 05, 2006, 11:38 AM

I have my movies by default on "stopped" so I’m hoping that because they need to be clicked I won’t have an IE ActiveX issue.

They must be clicked twice - once to enable ActiveX and once to set it going, as detailed here. This only works sometimes - I am currently having an issue with the second click being ignored which I have not yet resolved.

• 1,611 Posts
      If you use JavaScript to embed them (see post above), then you won’t have this issue on IE (it’s a workaround that shows just how silly the whole thing is).
        "Things are not what they appear to be; nor are they otherwise." - Buddha

"Well, gee, Buddha - that wasn't very helpful..." - ZAP

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
        • 104 Posts
        Quote from: ZAP at May 28, 2006, 08:04 AM

For Flash movies I use an external script called flashobject (in attached zip):

In my usual pig headedness I thought there has to be a simpler way ( well with less javascript, in the interests of avoiding potential scripting conflicts in the future ), and ended up trying out all sorts of methods, from microsoft’s version to adobe’s version and everything inbetween to finally end up using your method, which seems to be becoming the internet standard for the AcitveX issue. ( check out the source of http://www.christinaaguilera.com/ for example )

The script has an active mailing list of testers and debuggers http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/ and, as an interesting footnote has had to be renamed due to legal issues undecided ( now swfobject.js as opposed to flashobject.js )

Thanks for the original posting.
          • 1,611 Posts
          Rebelling against stupidity is a sign of intelligence, so don’t quit looking for better ways. I think that this will probably be corrected (read: "messed up again") in the final version of IE7, so I’ve made a mental note to expect to redo all of these in a few months. It would be nice if M$ would at least mess it up the same way for IE6 as IE7, but that may be expecting too much from them.

Useful MODx links: documentation | wiki | forum guidelines | bugs & requests | info you should include with your post | commercial support options
            • 141 Posts
            Quote from: ZAP at Jun 22, 2006, 03:17 PM
            It would be nice if M$ would at least mess it up the same way for IE6 as IE7, but that may be expecting too much from them.

It’s not an IE7 thing - they were forced to change it as a result of a stupid, opportunistic patent lawsuit. The case was found for the plaintiff, Eolas (sound like something from Lord of the Rings) despite unprecedented support for MS, including a letter from Tim Berners-Lee himself, explaining exactly how it would break the internet.  It’s not just MS who will be affected if it is pursued any further, but Sun, Mozilla, Real Networks - any kind of embedded app.

So, in answer to your question, yes - it is now the same in IE6. However, it still has to be established as to whether this solution is acceptable under the terms of the court ruling.
              • 1,611 Posts
              RIght, but I mean it would be nice if when they release a patch that meets the requirements of the court settlement that it worked the same on IE6 as IE7 (M$ tends to subtly cooerce users to migrate to new versions by failing to fix the old ones properly).

• 24 Posts
                Quote from: ZAP at May 28, 2006, 08:04 AM

For Flash movies I use an external script called flashobject (in attached zip):
                <head>
                <script src="assets/flashobject.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
                </head>
                <div id="flashcontent"></div><script type="text/javascript">
                   var fo = new FlashObject("assets/images/yer-movie.swf", "name", "width", "height", "version", "bgcolor");
                   fo.write("flashcontent");
                </script>

The blank div gets dynamically filled with the Flash content.
                I tried using your method but no joy there either! My ModX site really doesn’t like me using Flash! Any ideas? The test page I’m working on is here: http://www.ideal-country-property.com/es/test
                Cheers. Chris.