We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,145 Posts
    You would be surprised how TinyMCE 4 has improved on all and not removed the features you speak about.

And as for cursor the thingy, it is a thing that I have not had time to really MODXize. It is one feature that Imperavi's Redactor has (out of the box I believe)

Here is a CodeMirror plugin that implements that, out of the box
    https://github.com/christiaan/tinymce-codemirror
    When submitting CodeMirror code to TinyMCE, cursor position is retained. Note: this only works when the cursor is not inside <a> .
      TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
      Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
      5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
      • 322 Posts
      Quote from: donshakespeare at Jun 14, 2017, 11:55 PM
      You would be surprised how TinyMCE 4 has improved on all and not removed the features you speak about.
      Well, I certainly couldn't figure out how to make that happen. And the TinyMCE website doesn't show any such thing in all their samples, including the "Full Featured" one. I don't see any mention of most of the features I listed (1, 2, 5, 6, 9). There is mention of a way to make version 3 plugins compatible, but I need to install a plugin (maybe TinyMCE Wrapper will let me do this) that lets me get to the config script to add stuff.
        • 130 Posts
        Quote from: markh at Jun 14, 2017, 03:44 PM

The goal of a rich text editor, in our opinion, is to make text editing easy for users. Not to perform layout functions (how the text looks should be dictated by your CSS, not inline attributes in like 99% of the cases) or to create widgets like image maps.

Of course. I wouldn't want clients messing around with HTML no matter how much "they dig it" or "absolutely know it 'cause they coded HTML in kindergarten or whatever"
          • 1,145 Posts
          What of the case when the client has paid you to make available their HTML? You gonna say: erm no, I ain't trusting your edumacated kindergarten skills ?

I have heard this over the phone before:
          Yo! where's ma HTML, dude!
            TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
            Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
            5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
            • 322 Posts
            Quote from: markh at Jun 14, 2017, 03:44 PM
            The goal of a rich text editor, in our opinion, is to make text editing easy for users. Not to perform layout functions (how the text looks should be dictated by your CSS, not inline attributes in like 99% of the cases) or to create widgets like image maps.

OK, but for WHAT users? All users are not the same. And, all websites are not the same. I know my clients really well, and I know their experience and skill level, and also whether they have any design sensibility. For most clients, a more basic editing setup works, and prevents things from going wrong. I take great care to automate as much as possible, and have created many unique setups in MODX that makes my clients' lives much easier in terms of website maintenance. I'm also a stickler for maintaining design standards and putting everything possible in the style sheets for users to easily select (hence my need for people to sometimes be able to attach more than one class to an element). But, for those who genuinely have ability, NOT having some advanced capabilities in the editor for the occasions when a special one-off treatment is needed makes it HARDER for them, not easier. There's no need to create a custom style for something that is going to be done once, if the client can do what they want on the fly while being aware of design guidelines. If a client has been trained and educated in best practices and design guidelines, and has a good grasp of the tools, why not give them more power?