We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 953 Posts
    Quote from: BobRay at Nov 06, 2013, 03:56 AM
    If you look at the table in PhpMyAdmin, you can see the collation of the text fields.

You can also use SiteCheck

I have used PhpMyadmin and so far as I can see is everything utf8, I have looked at each table and all I can see is utf8_general_ci, so am lost on this

Your tool is for Revo - this is an Evo install
      • 18 Posts
      Quote from: iusemodx at Nov 06, 2013, 01:22 AM
      After further testing I found that (in my case) the problem is only in a couple of the Modx specific elements:

• Long title
      • Description
      • Menu title

And the document text area is always fine?

That sounds strange. Are all tables also UTF8, not only the database?

There are several places that you could check:

• <meta> tag in HTML output: is there a charset given?
      • HTTP header field: charset given? (check e.g. with wget or Firefox -> Page Information)
      • MODX manager configuration: UTF8 set (only relevant for manager itself, but if it is wrong, you will insert wrong characters into the database when saving documents)
      • config.inc.php - check that the database connection there is "utf8"
      • when importing SQL files with Adminer or PHPMyAdmin or command line: check the raw SQL file before importing, that a) it says "CHARSET utf8" all over the place (in contrast to "CHARSET latin1" or similar) and b) that the characters used in content stuff there is really UTF8. Check with "hexedit", "hexdump", "Hexfiend" or similar hex viewer that it's two bytes (for German special characters, Asian could be up to four)

• 953 Posts
        @ beroprac

Thanks for the info - has all been checked

And yes - the main content area is not affected, nor are, by the looks of things, TV's that I have created.
          • 953 Posts
          I am slowly getting the feeling that this has nothing to do with the collation or charset

The elements in question are for some reason converting the "&" sign to "&amp;" when rendered in the front end.
            • 18 Posts
            Quote from: iusemodx at Nov 06, 2013, 09:41 AM
            I am slowly getting the feeling that this has nothing to do with the collation or charset

The elements in question are for some reason converting the "&" sign to "&amp;" when rendered in the front end.

Are you using TinyMCE (WYSIWYG editor) or entering “raw” HTML directly? I’m not using TinyMCE at all but I would assume that it would convert & to & amp; (without space) because that’s required for HTML documents
              • 953 Posts
              Quote from: beroprac at Nov 06, 2013, 09:58 AM
              Are you using TinyMCE (WYSIWYG editor) or entering “raw” HTML directly

I only use raw HTML (am a front end developer)

TinyMCE wouldnt affect these three elements anyway, as they don't use an editor
              • Do you have an URL to see what is going wrong? PM if you don't want to show it public.
                • discuss.answer
                  • 953 Posts
                  Although I am not sure why this happens (specificaly in the three element fields), my line of thought may be a little out

Ive used iso-8859-1 for years and rarely have to use umlauts and with that I've always used umlauts with their entity name and not the character.

Obviously now with everything set to utf8 I can always use the character and it will be rendered correctly, or should be.