We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 49 Posts
    MODx registration activation works ok. But has anyone thought about how to activate a user who registered but didn't activate their account in the stipulated activation time?

I'll lay out this scenario in point form;

• User goes through registration process on MODx site
    • User receives email asking them to activate their account which they postpone
    • User comes back to site (maybe they couldn't follow through with activation at the time) and try to click link but it's expired
    • User can't log in or register

What does the user do at this point?

Seems trivial but with a site with several registrations ... this causes a number of potential registrations failing.
    • Typically that then needs an admin to activate the account from the manager. In the case of modx.com, that means sending an email to help at modx.com.
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • 49 Posts
        Thanks for the response.

That's what I feared ... logically we'd expect for the techie user to write to the site owners but your typical user doesn't understand why they can't login ... can't re-register etc. Especially if you have a site with many users this becomes a problem when you notice a lot of un-activated users can't come back.

Quote from: markh at Aug 13, 2013, 10:45 AM
        Typically that then needs an admin to activate the account from the manager. In the case of modx.com, that means sending an email to help at modx.com.

Ideally, I'd like if the user is notified that they are registered but unactivated if they tried to log in ... and provided with feedback with a link to re-register.

The re-registration (of an unactivated user) should resend the email the that said account and give another activation link.

Just looking for a broad discussion on how to work this out before anyone actually tries to solve it
          • 88 Posts
          +1
            • 24,544 Posts
            The last time I checked, an un-activated user who uses the correct username and password *does* get a message suggesting they contact the admin.

You can control the time limit for the link with the &activationttl property of the Register snippet. It's the number of minutes the link is good for. This would make it good for three days instead of the default three hours:

&activationttl=`4320`

It will also help if you put the time limit on the Register page and in the email it sends.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting