We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 47 Posts
    I was running 1.0.5 on a client's website, when all of a sudden their hosting company decided to upgrade their PHP version from 4.5 to 5.4. At first, the site was down completely. I managed to turn the PHP version back to 4, then upgrade to MODx 1.0.7, which I had read is compatible with PHP 5+. I then switched the PHP version back to 5, and the site is back, and looks all fine and dandy on the front-end. However, in the back-end, for some reason I'm getting droves of errors. I'm not able to login without first receiving an alert box with a lengthy error talking about the database, and then once in, I'm met with the following errors:

Strict Standards: strtotime(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in rss.inc.php on line 50

Strict Standards: strftime(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in document.parser.class.inc.php on line 1826

Strict Standards: strtotime(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in rss.inc.php on line 50.... etc. you get the picture

I don't know what any of this is talking about, or why it happened, or how to fix it. Why would a PHP upgrade break the entire site? How do I fix this "timezone" issue?
      • 788 Posts
      I think the following post should get you on the right track:
      http://forums.modx.com/thread/80990/evo-php5-4
        xforum
        http://frsbuilders.net (under construction) forum for evolution