We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • A lot of people have been asking about VersionX, and I've finally been able of getting some stuff done.

VersionX2 is a complete rewrite and is NOT (I repeat is NOT) compatible with data from the 1.0 releases. It uses a completely different (much more stable and scalable) base and saves versions of resources and elements: templates, template variables, chunks, snippets and plugins.

TV values for Resources is only available for MODX 2.1+ right now, though I am going to extend that to 2.0 as well to provide maximum support.

The UI isn't done yet, and all feedback / encouragement / bug reports are welcome. Use this thread for discussion, but make sure feature requests and bugs are filed in the VersionX2 Github Repository: https://github.com/Mark-H/VersionX2/issues (yes you can also look at the source there, and even better: fork it and send over improvements!)

You can always find the latest packaged version in the _packages directory on Git, and I'll try to keep this post updated with the latest packages as well.

Latest download on Git or in post: http://forums.modx.com/thread/72078/versionx-v2---in-development-previews?page=2#dis-post-408660 [ed. note: markh last edited this post 12 years, 2 months ago.]
      Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
      • 128 Posts
      what exactly does dev7 do? when i load it up and run it, it just sits there and when i try and refresh the filter list under the VersionX component it just spins forever. and when I save a resource or chunk or tv and go back to see if anything is there, its blank? yet no errors show up on install. am I expecting more than is in dev7? Just want to make sure the error is on my end? smiley

also this is Modx Revo 2.1.3

and i went into my PHPMYADMIN and looked and i see versionX and i see a lot of the resources i update, or chunks, all showing up. so its definitely working.. sorta. [ed. note: zurie last edited this post 12 years, 4 months ago.]
      • Hmm that doesn't sound right.

Dev7 stores versions of resources (incl. TVs on 2.1+), and you can use the resources grid to review saved versions and compare them. Noticed yesterday that Chrome's being iffy and doesn't want to display the details panel, but it works fine in Firefox.

Spinning forever indicates a fatal error in the processor, but I haven't seen any occuring myself. What version of MODX are you using? Can you use FireBug or another dev tool to see what response is returned by the AJAX POST to assets/components/versionx/connector.php when you refresh the resources grid in the components?

Is there data in the modx_versionx_resources table after you saved something? Were there any errors during install?
          Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
          • 128 Posts

<b>Warning</b>: require_once(/home/zurie/public_html/config.core.php) [<a href='function.require-once'>function.require-once</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in <b>/home/zurie/public_html/assets/components/versionx/connector.php</b> on line <b>23</b>

<b>Fatal error</b>: require_once() [<a href='function.require'>function.require</a>]: Failed opening required '/home/zurie/public_html/config.core.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in <b>/home/zurie/public_html/assets/components/versionx/connector.php</b> on line <b>23</b>

that is the response in my firebug of connector.php

maybe i will try to remove versionX and then reinstall. i know i had a old copy installed once, maybe the tables were already in the database? i'll check a bit more and report back
            • 128 Posts
            When I goto the VersionX component page.. in firebug console I see this:

ext-all.js: SyntaxError: Unexpected token '<' line 7

that only pops up with versionX. doesn't happen on other things.

also all the tabs are grayed out except for resources tab.
            • The tabs should be greyed out, only the resources one works for now.

It's weird it can't find the config.core file, pretty sure that should be there at all times.. - how is your MODX setup? What version you running? Is there a config.core.php file in the root of your site, or where is it?

• 128 Posts
                ok,. weirdly enough it wasn't there in the root. so i just recreated it from another installation, and now it works. but now I am on a second issue.

so i made a change to a resource. it shows up in the list.

then i made ANOTHER change to that same resource, shows up twice now.

what do i do now? how do i revert, or compare?

if i right click on one of the versions it says

"Below you can find the details for the Resource Version you selected. To compare this Version with another one, use the combobox to the right to select another Version."

but then nothing is underneath and i get another javascript error.

TypeError: 'null' is not an object (evaluating 'this.body.addClass')

• I noticed that in Chrome the other day, but havent found out the cause yet.

If you're using Chrome, can you try in a different browser (Firefox works great for me), or maybe you can help and find out why it's failing in Chrome and how to fix.

Once you can see the panel, you'll be able to find the dropdown to compare.

Reverting is not in there yet (it's an in development preview for a reason) though that's a pretty big priority.

Ill be able to spend quite some time on this (and some other projects) starting half december

• 128 Posts
                    Safari... but i guess its technically the same thing as chrome.

ok, so i tried firefox 8 on windows (normally im on Safari on mac) and sure enough it pulls up without a hitch. so it definetally seems like a .JS error in safari that isn't happening in Firefox.

ok cool! smiley i'll take a look at safari / chrome and see if i see anything weird.

the error only happens on the compare of two files but not on the normal modx manager, (in safari) great work so far! looking forward to progress and i'll try and help in any way i can.
                      • 128 Posts
                      i expanded ext-all.js so its not minified, and then when i run the script I get a error on line 13186 - code below.

if (!this.header) {
                                      this.body.addClass(this.bodyCls + "-noheader");
                      ext-all.js:13186 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot call method 'addClass' of null
                                      if (this.tbar) {
                                          this.tbar.addClass(this.tbarCls + "-noheader")
                                      }

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.