We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 18 Posts
    Hi all!

Thank you in advance to anyone and everyone that helps me answer these questions below... I'm a quick learner but still (somewhat) new to MODX laugh

I recently installed Articles (and Quip, getPage, etc) to create a blog on my company's MODX site... and a few nuances appeared that are driving me nuts and a seriously affecting my ego - not to mention reputation - at the company haha

1) After successfully saving the Articles container, or an individual Article in the MODX Manager, though the resource has been successfully saved, I keep getting the prompt asking if I'm sure I want to navigate to another page, when attempting to leave the particular resource to move on to something else in my MODX Manager... I have confirmed that the resource has saved my changes successfully but it is not just me that is using the MODX Manager, and it is embarrassing to tell people to ignore something like that...

2) When I view my published Articles page it comes up okay, but when I click on a paginated link (?page=2 for example) the page cannot be found and my site goes through it's normal 404 protocol (which in my particular case is to show the Home page)

3) In addition to number 2, I can't figure out how to set the scheme for all the blog urls to `full`... I use &scheme=`full` for all of my links on my site because my furls don't work without them (I have many sections of the site which are nested in resource containers, and I use their aliases as part of the site structure, but without the scheme=`full` on the links the relative location seems to duplicate itself when I click through the site)

4) When I installed Articles, I noticed that the system settings on my MODX server were a little screwy... mainly in the fact that all the system settings that have not been updated had an 'editedon' value of '0000-00-00 00:00:00' and the default value for that field was the same... When I went through the installation process it threw up red flags because that is not a valid value for a datetime field in MySQL... I was hoping fixing that problem and reinstalling would solve my woes, but no luck...

I'm sure I'll find something else I've inadvertently broken somehow... but that's it for now! Any hope would be greatly appreciated! laugh Please and thanks in advance...
      ---
      Chris Holowatyj
      Keddy & Associates - Web Design Professionals
      https://keddyandassociates.com
      [email protected]
      • 1,145 Posts
      Articles is all but dead. And I am not sure any dev is actively following/patching/diagnosing anything regarding Articles.
        TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
        Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
        5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
        • 24,544 Posts
        FWIW, I'm still using Articles at Bob's Guides.

The warning about leaving the page I just live with. I'm sure there's a fix, but I haven't had time to work on it.

The pagination Tpls for Articles are notoriously tricky, so you may just have them wrong.

Try setting the link_tag_scheme System Setting to 'full'. That may also solve the pagination problem.

Do you have this tag in the head section of all page templates (with the exclamation point)?

<base href=`[[!++site_url]]` />

With that in place, you normally wouldn't need full URLs.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 18 Posts
          Quote from: BobRay at Apr 24, 2017, 08:46 PM
          FWIW, I'm still using Articles at Bob's Guides.

The warning about leaving the page I just live with. I'm sure there's a fix, but I haven't had time to work on it.

The pagination Tpls for Articles are notoriously tricky, so you may just have them wrong.

Try setting the link_tag_scheme System Setting to 'full'. That may also solve the pagination problem.

Do you have this tag in the head section of all page templates (with the exclamation point)?

<base href="`[[!++site_url]]`">

With that in place, you normally wouldn't need full URLs.

Hey BobRay!

I was so excited to see a response from The Man himself laugh (When I started using MODX it was your MODX Guide that helped me get on my feet! - P.S. I paid for the whole thing of course)

If you had to guess where the best place(s) to look would be as far as fixing the saving nuisance... what would you suggest? Maybe I'll go through the process of learning to develop packages and roll out a few updates of my own...

So, I set the link_tag_scheme to full, and also put the base path in the head of all my templates, and now when I click on Archive and Tag links it appends the full url to the current page, encapsulated within %60 which is the backtick of course... (still not 100% solved :? but the links work at the moment...)

@donshakespeare.... would you have any suggestions for a better option I could use for blogging within the MODX environment? Or does another not exist? :/
            ---
            Chris Holowatyj
            Keddy & Associates - Web Design Professionals
            https://keddyandassociates.com
            [email protected]
            • 24,544 Posts
            thanks for the kind words. wink

This is about all I have to suggest on the resource saving issue: why some resources can't be saved. The last one (TV) could be your issue.

As for alternatives, many people use Collections, though I think it takes some effort to set up.

Buried in the tabs of the "Manager Articles" page, and in some of the Articles "helper" extras, there are some small Tpl chunks that could be controlling your Archive and Tag links and your pagination links.

FWIW, I left everything at its default and I think the only thing I had to mess were were the pagination links (it was a while back and I could be wrong). My Tag and Archive links work fine. You can see them at the bottom of the link above and see how the URLs look.

If you're going to work on a package the size and complexity of Articles, you might want to look at MyComponent. Even if you don't use it, some of the advice on the page might be helpful.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting