We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 11 Posts
    Hello,

I was wondering if we can develop applications with MS access as the backend database. Is there a way for my non technical users to download the MS access database from MoDX, do changes and upload it again,

Thanks
    • Not at this time.
        Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
        Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • Quote from: rthrash at Feb 19, 2007, 03:59 PM

Not at this time.
        What Ryan meant to say is; sure, you can develop applications with MS Access, but what does that have to do with MODx, and why would you ask this question in our forums? What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if you can connect to a custom MS Access database to build some snippets to use on a MODx site? Or are you asking if MODx can run on a MS Access database itself? Definitely no if the latter question; it is possible to write snippets that could access your MS Access data though.
          • 11 Posts
          Our contracting developer is saying that only they can add tables to mysql and we have to depend on them each time to add or change tables/structure. How do we get control so we can add tables and modify them freely. Our Modx is running in IIS

Thanks,
            • 11 Posts
            Quote from: OpenGeek at Feb 19, 2007, 04:07 PM

Quote from: rthrash at Feb 19, 2007, 03:59 PM

Not at this time.
            What Ryan meant to say is; sure, you can develop applications with MS Access, but what does that have to do with MODx, and why would you ask this question in our forums? What exactly are you asking? Are you asking if you can connect to a custom MS Access database to build some snippets to use on a MODx site? Or are you asking if MODx can run on a MS Access database itself? Definitely no if the latter question; it is possible to write snippets that could access your MS Access data though.

OpenGeek,

Thanks for your reply. No I don’t want to run Modx in MS access. I want to develop applications in MS access so it is easy for our office users to change them freely. The server is not in our office but hosted somewhere else. We don’t have access to our server other than through the web interface of MODX. So I was wondering what is the easy way to upload the MS access database and download to make changes.

Thanks,
            • Quote from: financenewbie at Feb 19, 2007, 04:08 PM

Our contracting developer is saying that only they can add tables to mysql and we have to depend on them each time to add or change tables/structure. How do we get control so we can add tables and modify them freely. Our Modx is running in IIS

Thanks,
              You likely need to find a new host that will allow you access to your MySQL database; most do. That’s pretty restrictive stuff there and certainly not common in my experience...

And I don’t recommend building web applications using MS Access either, but I’ll stop there.
                • 11 Posts
                Opengeek,

Thanks for your reply. I am totally new to this system and once the contracts finish developing the system it will given to me to take care of. So, all the modules and snippets developed by them I should be able to change them right?? Is there anything that they do outside the CMS that I should be aware of??

Thanks,
                • I guess your other option is to download phpmyadmin and run it from your web space

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/

Then insert your hosts database server address and your mysql login details into the config file, this will then allow your dev guy to access the mysql tables.

Hope that helps
                    http://www.onesmarthost.co.uk
                    UK MODX Hosting with love.
                    • 11 Posts
                    Thanks for your reply awardle. Do you guys know any easy snippet that will take data from user and inserts into mysql. I am trying to learn the system. Any sample or reference is helpful,

thanks,
                    • Fairly easy I wrote one for logging domain name searches with enom and this bit of code adds the search to my database.

You will need to create the table first via phpmyadmin though.

$sql = "INSERT INTO ".$modx->getFullTableName(’domain_searches’)." (domain,date) VALUES (’".$s.".".$tld."’, CURDATE())";
                      $rs = $modx->db->query($sql);
                        http://www.onesmarthost.co.uk
                        UK MODX Hosting with love.