To say we’re excited about this release would be a bit of an understatement. Far, far more than just a new Manager theme and some bugfixes here and there, Evolution 1.0.0 represents a ton of work by a lot of people. Our classic code base is no where close to outdated or obsolete, on the contrary it just took a huge leap forward and sets the stage for continuing development and improvements to our classic code base.
Boatloads of bugfixes and feature requests aside, our 1.0 release focuses on a few key areas. The international communities deserve a huge "thank you" for all their hard work in getting their languages updated, too.
Getting the terminology in line with Revolution
MODx Revolution will be out later this year, and it’s a ground up rewrite of Evolution/096x which is much more appropriate for more demanding environments and even more capable for developers. The main change in terminology with which we’re syncing Evolution include:
Improve functionality and usability for non-English languages and Custom deployments
- resources → Elements (Snippets, Chunks, etc.)
- documents → Resources (as in Universal Resource Indicator / URI)
- resource browser → File Browser
- folder (on the MODx Site Tree) → Container
- folder (on the filesystem) → Directory
- tree → Site Tree
There are more MODx users that speak English as a second language, or not at all, than there are who dream in English.
Clean up the legacy baggage and bloat
- able to specify the date formats in the Manager
- the ability to have RTL themes without requiring a dedicated theme
- support for RTL languages in the installer
- completely new URL transliteration support for more improvements in non-English and multi-language SEO efforts
- clean up the language across the board and make it simpler
- Manager can now have custom functionality integrated into the Welcome page
Over the years we’ve collected a few bits of extra code, and now we’ve started the housecleaning process.
Download Evolution 1.0.0 | Evo Discussions
- Purged and consolidated our JS libraries used in the back end
- Cleaned up the default template and demo content ... and decided there’s a future contest here to replace our demo site content (more on that in the coming weeks)
- New calendar for the datepicker
- Reduce file count and slim down the distribution size despite adding languages to the installer and Manager
- 2382 files in 15.6 MB (on disk, expanded) for 0.9.6.3 → 1804 files in 13.6 MB
- Newer cleaned up Manager skin and the start of a total overhaul of the Manager markup in general (more coming in future point releases)
Additional details of the updates include:
Bugfixes & Feature Requests:
* [#MODX-1061] Link list fixed in TinyMCE
* [#MODX-1060] Escape language string for the recycle bin to fix a problem with disappearing trees
* [#MODX-1027] Fix broken images with Image TV Preview plugin when no image selected
* [#MODX-1033] Implement consistent dates throughout the Manager and add a date format setting
* [#MODX-1045] Replace JS Alert tooltips with Mootools hover tooltips
* [#MODX-1049] Cancel action when editing a module goes to wrong location
* [#MODX-1026] Canceling a template change in Manager lost the original template setting
* [#MODX-1028] Manager did not properly handle failed login attempt counts or block users
* [#MODX-999] Fixed width buttons break with some languages (setting pages)
* [#MODX-1023] Date and Image TV changing doesn’t work correctly in DocManager.
* [#MODX-1013] Make DocManager use the new DatePicker
* [MODX-1009] Fix grammar/spelling error in english language file.
* [MODX-1008] Fix broken icons in Resource Overview->View Children
* [#MODX-989] Fix issue with DatePicker time field styling
* [#MODX-993] Fix broken URL rewriting when friendly alias paths are enabled
* [#MODX-981] Replaced missing event icons.
* [#MODX-968] Replaced folder icon in tree. (nodes.php)
* [#MODX-974] Fixed missing save icon in files.dynamic.php
* [#MODX-898] Allow passing script names and versions to regClient*, setting stage for more intelligent handling of script inclusion
* [#MODX-863] Isolate deprecated magic_quotes-related code inside PHP version checks for less than 5.3 to avoid deprecated warnings in 5.3/errors in 6.0
* [#MODX-941] Add % character to transliteration plugin tables
* [#MODX-971] Fix to TransAlias plugin to allow it to work with the Import HTML action.
* [#MODX-591] Escape the database user and password in config.inc.php during install
* [#MODX-952] Modified the warning message with MySQL 4.x
* [#MODX-944] Installer with IE8 does not show final ’Install’ button on last page
* [#MODX-904] Add better email format checking when adding/updating users.
* [#MODX-950] Scroll the File Manager to the editing textarea when clicking the edit button.
* [#MODX-905] Fix SQL error in cache_sync processor
* [#MODX-866] Allow manual editing of the datepicker fields
* [#MODX-720] The website name on the Manager login page links back to the front end site
* [#MODX-916] Better handling of text direction and encoding for Manager languages
* [#MODx-882] Specify the default Manager language during installation
* [#MODx-815] Users without edit or create module permissions can get to Modules editing screen
* [#MODX-390] Infinite loop possible during install
* [#MODX-909] Roles menu item showed even if Manager User did not have Roles permissions
* [#MODX-851] Manager User and Webuser email messages were always in English despite the language setting
* [#MODX-830] Friendly URLs can now contain UTF8 characters
* [#MODX-897] Dynamic title for create/edit Resource action page depending on state
* [#MODX-891] Manager language files contains hard-coded CSS spans
* [#MODX-867] Add system events to Manager log Welcome page to make custom dashboard plugins possible
* [#MODX-602] Remove the calltime-pass-by-ref errors on the Export Site HTML screen.
* [#MODX-725] Retain checkbox TV values when changing template, also fix postback rendering of TV values (broken in a recent commit)
* [#MODX-810] Ensure that the web user ID is passed correctly to the OnWUsrFormPrerender and OnWUsrFormRender events.
* [#MODX-733] Apply fix for multi-byte characters being garbled in ’Site’ > ’Search’.
* [#MODX-719] Small fix to DocManager to prevent parse error when no doc groups are present and an update to doc groups is attempted.
* [#MODX-741] Fix MCPUK browser navigation to work with folders that have spaces in them.
* [#MODX-813] Fix the image editor’s src link for the image tag.
* [#MODX-822], [#MODX-465] Add basic file encoding for the file manager, not a complete solution but consensus that it’s better than previous.
* [#MODX-847] Replace QuickEdit with QuickManager+ (includes /assets/js/jQuery 1.3.2.min.js)
* [#MODX-838] Ensure Datepicker correctly closes when select and textboxes lose focus without being changed.
* [#MODX-806] fix duplicated option groups in template picker
* [#MODX-581] Installer doesn’t check /assets/media, /assets/flash and /assets/files directories
* [#MODX-687], [#MODX-589] Fix the TV name fields so that new DatePicker works correctly
* [#MODX-832] Implement new DatePicker in the MODx Manager.
* [#MODX-655] Correct a sanity check that was preventing the allow_manager_access setting being saved.
* [#MODX-806] Add option groups to template chooser in Manager
* [#MODX-571] Fix TV date picker when special characters in TV name
* [#MODX-588] Missing else in document parser that orphaned a small piece of code
* [#MODX-608] Missing "$this->" in SystemEvent::stopPropagation()
* [#MODX-592] Site Cache improvement for only storing doctypes that are different from text/html in cache files
* [#MODX-681] Manager include path fix for occasional errors and working better with third-party libraries
* [#MODX-449] Incorrect language setting for RTE used in front end instances at install
* [#MODX-812] Added Hebrew Manager translation
* [#MODX-209] Amended original patch: remove urlencode() call for viewable files (i.e. images) when generating the preview buttons in the file manager.
* [#MODX-85] Removed transliteration code from core and turn into a plugin
- Supports multiple languages
- Template Variable can override transliteration table (file) per-document/section (supports @INHERIT)
- Move stripAlias function into parser
- Add OnStripAlias parser/system event
* [#MODX-445] Fix case where deleted docs with the same alias as another document caused a 404 response. Remove deleted docs from site cache.
* [#MODX-593] Add missing summary/introtext to Weblink manager page
* [#MODX-220] Manager language updates for sorting and formatting consistency across languages
* [#MODX-393] Show Protected Pages issue solved by Thomas Leiritz
* [#MODX-516] and [#MODX-397]
- fix to display of Access Permissions depending on Role permissions
- fix to preserve parent after new document save permissions error
* [#MODX-397] Fix logic: creating documents inside restricted containers
- disallow users from creating restricted docs they can’t access
- disallow "Create Document Here" and "Create Weblink Here" under restricted parents
* [#MODX-572] new Elements must be given unique names
- applies only to elements created with "New..." buttons
- templates, tvs, plugins, snippets, chunks, modules
- Removed isNumber function, not needed since PHP < 4
* [#MODX-620] Add boolean support to Datagrid class
* [#MODX-446] Committing Soushi’s cache sync patch (re: optimizations to cache syncing when the site has a large number of documents)
* [#MODX-686] Major updates to Dutch language file
* [#MODX-582] Update and alphabetize default upload-able file types for new installs. (Also removes php files from list)
* [#MODX-457] Updates to Swedish language file
* [#MODX-363] Missing URL types for cleaning in save content processor
* [#MODX-701] Polish updates
* [#MODX-713] Brazillian Portuguese updates
* [#MODX-580] Update Italian language files
* [#MODX-515] Fix non-clickable view unpublished role label
* [#MODX-724] Reference wiki page for fix for multi-server/cloud deployments and unexpected logoffs
* [#MODX-734] Typo in language file it’s->its
* [#MODX-410] access permissions will be inherited from parent when user creates new child but and does not have role permission for access permissions
* [#MODX-724] Create .htaccess template to set the session paths out of shared /tmp/ directories which can lead to loosing sessions from aggressive garbage collection.
* [#MODx-394] Update Russian installation file per http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,34998.msg212346/topicseen.html#msg212346
* [#MODX-715] Fix .jp lang file for incorrect hard-coded link
* [#MODX-541] Fix the include statement in getUserData() method
* [#MODX-650] bad reference to csshover.htc (now csshover2.htc)
Additional Improvements & Updates:
* Fix get_func_args() error (evident on PHP 5.3) in Ditto/Reflect
* Many updates to Manager and Installer language translations
- Updating language to be in line with Revo. (Resources -> Elements, resource browser -> File Browser, Documents -> Resources)
- Simplify language and remove overly-wordy phrases
- New language strings where appropriate and needed
- Replaced hard coded language strings in Import and Export action pages with new language strings
- Better handling of Manager language encoding and text direction
- Now handles RSS, Word, Excel, XML, HTML, CSS, JS, PDF and plain documents with custom icons in the Site Tree
- Able to reload and choose language for key site settings like Signup emails, password reset emails, etc.
* Remove legacy code no longer needed
- Removed QuickEdit module (instructions only)
- Removed News Publisher snippet (did not support TVs)
- Prototype and Scriptaculous JS and SLLists.class.php from core distribution, no longer used
- Update demo content to remove Prototype/Scriptaculous dependencies
* Convert manager to use Mootools exclusively
- Manager Login page
- Convert the ’Sort TV by template’ and ’Plugin Execution Ordering’, also fix the button CSS styling on those pages
- DocManager module (also to assist with future updates) - MODULE MUST BE UPDATED when upgrading from previous MODx versions
* Upgrade Add-on: eForm 188.8.131.52
* Upgrade Add-on: AjaxSearch 1.8.3
* Updated Add-on: TinyMCE 184.108.40.206
* Fix the Template Variable "Lock variable for editing" checkbox
* Removed erroneous parameter in isFrontend() method call
* Exclude /assets and /manager by default from MODx rewrite and to comment out example.com -> www.example.com rule by default
* Fix bug when login page language file was missing translation strings. Now falls back to main English file.
* Added additional database diagnostic info to system info page (auto-generated paths)
* Updated the MODx installer
- New skin
- Streamline process by removing two steps
- Make Connection/Collation/Default Admin User only show when prior steps are completed first
- Now set the default Manager language during new installs instead of relying on installation language
* New MODx Carbon default theme for MODx Evolution 1.0 release
- Removed deprecated themes for Evo 1.0 release
- Added a CSS class (setting of $modx->config[’manager_direction’]) to Manager pages <body> to automatically address RTL Manager language users
- Remove Bottom Button Bar plugin due to new static button bar similar to Revo
* Make upgrades between versions simpler
- Moving Manager login/welcome/blocked templates into /assets/templates/manager
- Moving Manager Help pages into /assets/templates/help
* Manager RSS feed improvements
- Updated RSS feeds to more manageable number of entries for welcome page.
- Updated snoopy class to latest version 1.2.4 (used by magpierss).