We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • I've installed modx 2.2.4 and in most of add ons i've this problem:

Unexpected token <:
    Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
    More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Quip, Ditsnews.... Is there a way to fix this ? Is this a known issue ?

Thank you
    • Not known to us for sure.

Is it possible one of the upgrade files got corrupted during FTP upload or do you transfer an archive and extract it directly on the server?
      • First i've tryed to reupload all files and setup with the same version, problem was still there.
        I erased everything and then reuplaod, it is still the same. The problem might come from the fact that i use UTF8 ans UTF8_general ??

[ed. note: hartus last edited this post 11 years, 10 months ago.]
        • I've installed few modx site, never had this problem, with same host and same servers...

With modx 2.2.2 there is also the problem, same server, same configuration... the message is :

syntax error:
          Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
            • 24,544 Posts
            The most common cause of server errors is a problem with the .htaccess file. If you have any php directives in the .htaccess file, the host may have changed its policy on allowing them. That will definitely cause a server error.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 14 Posts
              I got the same token error during the whole day.
              i got a modx 2.2.0 traditional, upgraded as usual to 2.2.4 traditional.
              When I finish the setup installation ( /setup/index.php?action=install ) I got a blank page.
              It is after the final check of the setup, when i should be redirected to the login.
              Also the setup dir is not deleted.
              Then not everythings will works in ModX: I got often that warning popup with the token <: error message.

It is since hours that I try to do the upgrade.

What are happening with ModX today.
                • 228 Posts
                I've had the same error before several times - and it came down to one of the following:

mod_security (apache security module)
                suhosin (php security module)
                compress_js and compress_css (modx system settings)

These pages might also help:
                http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Troubleshooting+Installation
                http://rtfm.modx.com/display/revolution20/Installation+on+a+server+running+ModSecurity
                  • 18 Posts
                  hi guys !

removing "Version X" add-on solved this issue for me.
                    • 701 Posts
                    Hey Schwarts, what do you mean by removing "Version X" add on?

• 18 Posts
                      Hi BennyB

there's an add-on for modx called "Version X" ( it's a versioning plugin ) you can install it via the Package Management.

I got the same error message right after installing VersionX.
                      When I removed VersionX there's no error message any more.