We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 384 Posts
    This is an extension of a recent twitter conversation where several people were wondering simultaneously what is happening with/at/to MODX. I offered to move the conversation to the Forums as Twitter doesn't faciltate the conversation thats required.

Don't shoot me - I'm partly just the messenger but I do have to say that things seem to be at a tipping point for some community members. Over the past week, I've had the same discussion again and again around the following recurring concerns:

• If JP was fired because of a "change in direction" at MODX then what is that change in direction? How does this new direction compare to the "old" one and whats the destination?

• Are core members of the MODX team tied up with servicing and pitching for LLC client work and is this taking resources away from MODX development?

• If this is the case (MODX team working on client projects), isn't there a conflict of interest and undermines the Developers who have signed up to be listed on the professional network?

• People saying that detailed, quality updates are at a low and instead we're getting fluff pieces on "everything is great ..don't worry, exciting things on the way".

• MODX 3 - Possibly 2+ years before we see a move away from 2.3 limitations. In the meantime, other CMS catching up and in some cases overtaking MODX

• No MODX 2.3 roadmap. Ok, there is but it's hardly detailed or updated regularly.

• When are much sought after features such as the following expected to be released
      - In manager updates
      - Native TV grids (MIGX)
      etc etc

• MODX 2.3 - Many users feel like they're in CMS limbo and are actively questioning how long they can remain commited to a platform they love but has stalled.

• When can we expect to see the MODX group conference call happen

And please, please refrain from making personal attacks on any individuals wether they are external or internal MODX. smiley [ed. note: eladnova last edited this post 9 years, 10 months ago.]
    • I don't have an answer to any of those questions, but I think to move forward, there needs to be a "MODX Foundation" or "MODX Association" similar to what exists for Drupal (https://assoc.drupal.org/), jQuery (https://jquery.org/) and other successful open source projects.

A non-profit organisation dedicated purely to advancing and promoting the product (supported by the LLC, modmore and other major parties in the community), coupled with transparent and open decision making, will in my belief be better at leading an open source project than a (any) commercial entity that has to balance making money, and leading an open source project.

While firing JP is a very confusing thing to do from the community's perspective and there has not been a satisfactory reasoning brought out by those involved, part of me thinks that the personnel decisions, ideas and strategy of any business (including MODX Systems LLC and modmore) should not be cause to changing open source product strategy. The fact that the community has over the years relied on LLC maks sense given the history, but is not a long-term sustainable or trustworthy plan imo.
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • 712 Posts
        Before this thread gets too crazy, I just want to say that is is not, or never has been, my intent to demotivate anybody about MODX. The MODX team is one of the most talents groups of people in the industry, and pound for pound I think the are adept to go up against any form of competition.
        [ed. note: dinocorn last edited this post 9 years, 11 months ago.]
          jpdevries
          • 712 Posts
          Also, could somebody please remove my MODX Staff badge? smiley

jpdevries
            • 93 Posts
            For what it's worth I think Mark has put his finger on it here. The fate of MODX, the open source platform, needs to be separated from that of MODX LLC,

I think the situation has become quite toxic in the last couple of years with the commercial pressures of the LLC spilling into the community in various ways but particularly in the form of a roadmap that may have suited the LLC more than it did the community at large and a culture where it was viewed as community sabotage to openly criticise LLC priorities/activities on the codebase or lack of.

I know I'm not the only one to find it really odd that it took 5 days after JP's dismissal for anyone to start openly discussing the issues it highlights and I think this is a fine demonstration of the above culture which aggressively discourages discussion or debate. While I realise MODX LLC is entitled to fire and hire who it wants when it wants, it does also currently have an obligation to the community of folks running and building businesses around the platform. The separation that Mark suggests removes that obligation from the LLC.

It's time for MODX to leave home and make it's own way in the world.

• 215 Posts
              Mark and Joe have both made fantastic points. The LLC obviously has to pursue its own interests, but not at the expense of the community. A foundation like Mark suggests would indeed allow for the best of both worlds (fostering the community while allowing the LLC to run itself like it sees fit). Speaking as someone who values the MODX community just as much as the product itself, this would be fan-freaking-tastic, and would put me much more at ease when it comes to the future of MODX at large.
                Jesse Couch
                MODX Aficionado, Front-End Designer & Developer
                http://www.designcouch.com
                • 17 Posts
                Are core members of the MODX team tied up with servicing and pitching for client work and is this taking resources away from MODX development?
                While I can't confirm this 100%, it is something I have often heard, from the community but also from MODX LLC devs. IMHO, it is the case.

If this is the case (MODX team working on client projects), isn't that a conflict of interest and undermines MODX devs who have signed up to be listed on the professional network?
                No it is not. The professional network exists, they (professionals) can still be contracted via that platform. The fact that MODX LLC team takes on projects is in no way a conflict of interest. They are MODX professional devs as well, which entitles to the same access to client contracts as any other professional listed.
                However, the very difficult distinction between MODX LLC and MODX (cmf) could be a case of conflict of interest. But that is another matter.

People saying that detailed, quality updates are at a low and instead we're getting fluff pieces on "everything is great ..don't worry, exciting things on the way".
                This could come out as harsh, but people complain. And the worst case is people who complain and do nothing to fix the situation. MODX is opensource, if you want "quality" updates and progress, pitch in, contribute. Don't just complain and wait for MODX LLC to "invest" their time and money, they too have priorities that are not necessarily the platform itself.
                This answer also applies to the features/extras question.

Have no way as way, have no limitation as limitation
                  • 384 Posts
                  If this is the case (MODX team working on client projects), isn't that a conflict of interest and undermines MODX devs who have signed up to be listed on the professional network?
                  No it is not. The professional network exists, they (professionals) can still be contracted via that platform. The fact that MODX LLC team takes on projects is in no way a conflict of interest.

I think the scenario imagined was when a client might contact MODX directly asking for referrals. Would the LLC always point the client to a registered Partner or could there be a CoI where RFPs were vetted internally first. [ed. note: eladnova last edited this post 9 years, 10 months ago.]
                    • 2,877 Posts
                    Quote from: Askarii at May 09, 2014, 06:01 PM

This could come out as harsh, but people complain. And the worst case is people who complain and do nothing to fix the situation. MODX is opensource, if you want "quality" updates and progress, pitch in, contribute. Don't just complain and wait for MODX LLC to "invest" their time and money, they too have priorities that are not necessarily the platform itself.
                    This answer also applies to the features/extras question.

WORD!! smiley

MODX LLC is in my opinion MODX.

On the EVO front there is a fork called ClipperCMS (http://www.clippercms.com/about/developers.html)
                    MODX became a fork of Etomite, ClipperCMS became a fork of MODX. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MODx)

ClipperCMS is awesome but way harder to sell than MODX®

That's all I had to add.

@hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
                      http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
                      http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
                      • 712 Posts
                      As far as the community call, organizing a community-led call, regardless of if there was another one, was something I was in support of while I was still on the team. Couldn't hurt.

MODX has one of the best communities anyone in the tech industry could ask to be a part of. Even when put against great odds, it has proven to be greater than the sum of it's parts in so many ways I believe it's potential to define, and re-define creative freedom is limitless.

Upon my unexpected termination, I was reactionary, emotional, and made personal accusations against people I've spent years to earn the expertise to work amongst. It wasn't right of me to react that way, regardless of circumstance or what I was feeling at the time.

I've had the opportunity to speak with upper management, and while I wish it was handled differently, I agree whole-heartedly with their decision to terminate my position at the company.
                        jpdevries