We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 380 Posts
    Using the Login extra I'm always able to login on Firefox and Chrome.

On all versions of IE the login seems to work but I get redirected to the Home page (404 I guess). If I try a few times and hit F5 sometimes I can get to the landing page post login.

Anyone else experienced this?

This is MODX Revolution 2.2.0-pl2 (traditional) + Login 1.7.3 [ed. note: sparkyhd last edited this post 12 years ago.]
      • 380 Posts
      Just noticed that if I login on IE I get redirected to the Home page (as described above).

If I close the browser, then re-open it, and visit the login form it says I'm logged in?
        • 380 Posts
        Just to narrow the issue down a bit it's related to 'www'

If I use www.domain.com it works fine.

If I just use domain.com it doesn't work.

The strange thing is that the login form isn't on the site Home page. The base_url is www.domain.com so if I visit domain.com, then click on the link to the login form page I get to www.domain.com/login.html (the www is added due to the base_url).

If anyone can shed light on IE getting confused over sessions just because I started browsing without 'www' I'd be most grateful.
          • 108 Posts
          I'm having this exact same problem, I can log-in from any browser (Safari, FF, Chrome) except IE, I tried on virtual machine with IE7, IE8 and 9, with no luck.

I tried modifying my htaccess with:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.
          RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.%{HTTP_HOST}/$1 [R=301,L]

..to prevent the www thing but nothing.

It's a multilingual site with Babel and I'm using contexts for different languages so I also tried BobRay's advice and added:

&contexts=`web,es,de`

..to my login call, and again no cookie.

Opengeek mentioned on a thread with a similar problem to validate code, but my code is valid and I get the cool green W3C mark over the entire site.

I'm totally out of ideas and have no clue as to why it all works perfectly fine on any other browser except IE.

Apache version 2.2.22
          PHP version 5.3.13
          MySQL version 5.0.95-community
          Architecture i686
          Operating system linux
          Modx Version MODx Revolution 2.0.8-pl (traditional)
          Login Add On 1.5.2

Mark, did you solve this issue? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thanks in advance! [ed. note: upiorz last edited this post 11 years, 9 months ago.]
            • 380 Posts
            Never solved this issue, sorry.
              • 108 Posts
              It's a real bummer, login is a cool add on, I'll have to take a different route then. Thanks.
                • 108 Posts
                I let this simmer for a couple of weeks and decided to give it a go again today.

After some googling I found this blog:
                http://mercstudio-tech.blogspot.mx/2010/11/modx-ie-login-problem.html

So it seems it has something to do with cookies in IE when using multiple contexts in Modx.

It's working for me so far.
                  • 483 Posts
                  My Login works great across multiple contexts in all browsers... However, the cookie was not set in IE until I made the Remember Me visible. (IE defaults it to off, always, it seems).
                    Website: Extended Dialog Development Blog: on Extended Dialog
                    Add-ons: AJAX Revolution, RO.IDEs Editor & Framework (in works) Utilities: Plugin Compatibility List
                    Tutorials: Create Cross-Context Resources, Cross-Context AJAX Login, Template-Based Actions, Remove Extensions from URLs

Failure is just another word for saying you didn't want to try. "It can't be done" means "I don't know how".
                    • 108 Posts
                    Thanks for the feedback Fuzzical Logic.

Ok I went in to try your approach but how do you make the Remember Me visible?

Are you using the rememberMeKey?

&rememberMeKey=`rememberme`

• 483 Posts
                      The label is not important, but the checkbox is. This is a common mistake with a lot of sites. Checkbox must have a value of "checked". That's the HTML conformance standard, but many JavaScript or PHP set it to Yes or True. And they often use the "value" to determine the value.

This checkbox code works on all browsers correctly.

<input type="checkbox" id="rememberMe" name="rememberme" value="rememberme" checked="checked" />

Notice the
                      checked="checked"

Also note that it does not include the label. (but labels are easy). [ed. note: fuzzicallogic last edited this post 11 years, 8 months ago.]
                        Website: Extended Dialog Development Blog: on Extended Dialog
                        Add-ons: AJAX Revolution, RO.IDEs Editor & Framework (in works) Utilities: Plugin Compatibility List
                        Tutorials: Create Cross-Context Resources, Cross-Context AJAX Login, Template-Based Actions, Remove Extensions from URLs

Failure is just another word for saying you didn't want to try. "It can't be done" means "I don't know how".