We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • modxjr1, unfortunately there is some sort of bug we need to look into there. From what I've experienced if you delete your own post it can delete the post directly preceding it too. We're working on forums fixes and we'll look into that one sooner than later.
      Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
      • 165 Posts
      Two posts disappeared, rendering exactly my two replies out of reference.
      Never seen this before, lol.
        • 483 Posts
        For Clarification:
        In my experience, which posts disappear are directly related to which "Reply" link was clicked. When someone deletes a post, it deletes any post that was directly "replied to".

Don't know if this is expected behavior, but seemed like it could have been. Was initially surprising, but got used to it.
          Website: Extended Dialog Development Blog: on Extended Dialog
          Add-ons: AJAX Revolution, RO.IDEs Editor & Framework (in works) Utilities: Plugin Compatibility List
          Tutorials: Create Cross-Context Resources, Cross-Context AJAX Login, Template-Based Actions, Remove Extensions from URLs

Failure is just another word for saying you didn't want to try. "It can't be done" means "I don't know how".
        • You're correct; it has to do with threaded message replies (which we don't display as threaded). We're working on a fix.
            Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
            Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
            • 37 Posts
            So why wasn't a more bug free forum software like phpBB or Simple Machines Forum chosen?

---------------
            504 Gateway Time-out

nginx/0.8.53
            • modxjr1,

We used to run the MODX forums on SMF and it was a pain to maintain. It was constantly being targetted by hackers and, in addition, a native MODX forum was something people have asked for for years. That being said we did look at building the new forums in Vanilla Forums and worked closely with the Vanilla team on their recent version, however it was not ready for public use and like most forums is not able to easily work with other auth systems.

Onto the good news, (and we are miles off topic here), we have spent the last few weeks working on making the forums work better, solving most of the critical issues and laying the groundwork for an eventual release. You will find the forums more stable, easier to use, faster to read and post and a whole lot more functional overall. And, we'll continue to work on it in the coming months to improve the experience.

Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
                • 24,544 Posts
                Just checking:

<?php
                $url = "http://modx.com";

Is there a blank line after this one? wink

I guess not (and I got a gateway timeout posting this).

So, updates not installed yet?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                PLEASE, PLEASE specify the version of MODX you are using.
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                  Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                  MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                  My MODX Extras
                  Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • Bob,

We have not launched the improvements yet. There are some significant design changes that will go with the functional improvements. You'll know when it hits.
                    • 37 Posts
                    In case anybody is interested. I did a little test for memory usage and number of included files to compare Evo and Revo on a default install from the home page. I added a Joomla and Wordpress test for comparison too. And Etomite too.

Etomite 1.1: memory peak usage: 1572864: 1.5 mb, 6 included files, disk space: 9mb

Evo 1.0.6: memory peak usage: 1572864: 1.5 mb , 10 included files , disk space: 15mb

Revo 2.2.5: memory peak usage: 6291456: 6 mb , 104 included files , disk space: 35mb

Joomla! 2.5: memory peak usage: 3670016: 3.5 mb , 102 included files , disk space: 34mb

Wordpress 3.0.5: memory peak usage: 3932160: 3.75 mb , 73 included files , disk space: 11mb

Tested with Linux + Apache with php code to get results for
                    -------------------------------------
                    memory_get_peak_usage(true);
                    and
                    get_included_files();

------------------------------
                    It should be obvious from the numbers that if you want a low resource intensive site then Evo wins.
                    Actually Etomite is even faster.

[ed. note: modxjr1 last edited this post 11 years, 5 months ago.]
                      • 1,613 Posts
                      Just testing, had an notification email while nothing new was here..
                        Evolution user, I like the back-end speed and simplicity smiley

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.