We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Quote from: lowelife at Dec 22, 2010, 10:03 PM

This makes me want to go back to Evolution.

Are there plans to port this to Revo?
    What specifically makes you want to go back to Evo? Revo doesn’t use MCPuck at all ... do you miss the pain? tongue

And no, we’ll never port MCPuck to Revo. But we will continue to improve the media manager in Revo.
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 74 Posts
      Quote from: rthrash at Dec 22, 2010, 10:10 PM

Quote from: lowelife at Dec 22, 2010, 10:03 PM

This makes me want to go back to Evolution.

Are there plans to port this to Revo?
      What specifically makes you want to go back to Evo? Revo doesn’t use MCPuck at all ... do you miss the pain? tongue

And no, we’ll never port MCPuck to Revo. But we will continue to improve the media manager in Revo.

Good God man, I don’t want MCPuck ported! I was talking about KCFinder! I just like that there are folks like Yama doing great stuff with things like KCFinder.

I’m just in the beginning of my Revolution Experience, and I am very impressed, but I am also extremely overwhelmed. I came to modx back in 2007 after horrible experiences with Drupal and loved how seamless it felt with things like whatever the original version of quickedit was, and the way it seemed built to be easier for content managers to do their thing.

I’m a very low-tech tech. I know enough to be dangerous. But I help people who know even less than me maintain sites. These are people that don’t understand that when they put an image in a web page, they’re just linking to a file, so they upload 1024x863 images and use TinyMCE to change their size to something pretty.

With Evolution, as terrible as MCPuck was, I could explain to my clients how to resize an image. With Revolution, I got nothing yet. I’m not being impatient, it’s just that the features that my clients care about are not the ones that get released first in a ’core’. Core releases are for developers and integrators. I desperately want to use Revolution. I’ve started my first revo site and it’s gone well, but I, and my clients, miss things like the quick editor, and being able to resize or crop images.

Like all young open source products, ModX is still finding its feet. I think it’s great, and I know it will get even better, but like consumers of any product, open source or otherwise, I want more, always more. And I also desperately want Revo to NOT be a geekfest product. It needs to be understandable and accessible to semi-tech people who can install it and start managing their content right away, like Wordpress. The mess in the middle needs to be hidden away. That’s why when I see posts on the forums about how you’ve left everything in Revo open and extensible I worry, because a stove is only useful if I have a pot and a recipe book.

I am in the process of documenting for my clients how to maintain their very simple ModX Revo site. That documentation will be turned over to the community to examine, tweak, and hopefully improve upon. I have a background as a tech writer, so I guess it’s about time I got tech writing and put my oar in.

This is the wrong place for this soapbox, but it’s close to Christmas and I’ve had too much wine.
        • 139 Posts
        Your post was a very good read, lowelife (it’s close to Christmas and I’ve had too much beer). wink

I’m in the same boat with the move to Revo... I’m taking it slow. I think it just needs time to build from it’s powerful (and yes, as you mentioned, overwhelming) foundation. I have a lot of faith that the genius MODx team (and community) will not leave the people that are not developers first and foremost in the dust. What I still love about Evo is ManagerManager for instance! SO much easier than Form Customization rules... in time though.

Back on the topic of KCFinder: you mentioned the good ol image editor that comes with MCPUK. Is there ANYTHING at all like it that can replace it along with KCFinder? I posted about it awhile ago but my frickin’ dream would be to have someone smarter than me create a plugin that utilizes the API for Aviary Phoenix. That could be seen as overkill from a UX perspective I realize but some clients would love it.

Perhaps there’s other threads about image cropping and resizing in Manager... ?

Later, fellow nerds. I gotta grab a beers...
          • 24,544 Posts
          We really need an image upload that includes resizing, dropshadow, image mask, and watermark options. MaxiGallery had these and most of them are there in WordPress using their default editor (TinyMCE?). Maybe we have them in Revo and I just don’t know about it. tongue

FYI, NewsPublisher is coming (as soon as I can get the bugs out) and it will provide some front-end editing a la QuickEdit, including TinyMCE.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • Quote from: lowelife at Dec 23, 2010, 03:48 AM

With Evolution, as terrible as MCPuck was, I could explain to my clients how to resize an image. With Revolution, I got nothing yet. I’m not being impatient, it’s just that the features that my clients care about are not the ones that get released first in a ’core’. Core releases are for developers and integrators. I desperately want to use Revolution. I’ve started my first revo site and it’s gone well, but I, and my clients, miss things like the quick editor, and being able to resize or crop images.
            We’re getting there. There’s a ton of things going on behind the scene and we recognize that these end-user tools are critical. E-commerce is another one and thankfully VisionCart is about to enter beta.

On the image/media handling front, frankly we’re not happy with any of the existing OS solutions. They don’t work with CDNs out of the box, or they’re bloated. We want something that’s not half baked and that can (shockingly) be extended to work the way you want it to work. This is an important area and one we want to get right. When there’s so many areas on which to work, we have to choose our battles and media handling hasn’t made it to the top of the list yet. But it is getting higher.

... but like consumers of any product, open source or otherwise, I want more, always more. And I also desperately want Revo to NOT be a geekfest product. It needs to be understandable and accessible to semi-tech people who can install it and start managing their content right away, like Wordpress. The mess in the middle needs to be hidden away.
            A huge focus for us in 2011. However, we’re incredibly focused on putting a proper foundation in place with a real API so that tools can be developed that are easier to maintain and secure. It’s taken completely rethinking how MODX works and Revo is the result. Now it’s about to move out of heavy-geekdome downstream to a more mainstream tool in 2011. The cool think for the hard-core devs out there is that we’re not taking away any of the promised and touted "dev-ability". There definitely needs to be a site owner/end user friendly UI that’s not so intimidating. Internally that’s code named "Dad Simple" ... so simple even your dad can use it even though he’s afraid that if he presses the wrong button in his web browser it’ll break the internet.

That’s why when I see posts on the forums about how you’ve left everything in Revo open and extensible I worry, because a stove is only useful if I have a pot and a recipe book.
            Fair enough, but Evo and Revo really aren’t all that far apart. Most of the features are achievable today, and actually you can do a ton more in Revo without ever touching PHP code.

This is the wrong place for this soapbox, but it’s close to Christmas and I’ve had too much wine.
            Please keep feedback like this coming. It’s tremendously appreciated.
              Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
              Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
              • 793 Posts
              Refering to the scan in post #7 by yama: In the Custom Parameters entry
              [tt]file_browser_callback:’openKCFinder’,[/tt]
              the final comma is indispensable. If you leave it out, the div#content_body of the editor will show the HTML code instead of the RTF formatted content (despite the choice [tt]TinyMCE[/tt] as [tt]Editor in use[/tt] ).
              It took me a while to detect this because in the displayed [tt]Plugin configuration[/tt] list there aren’t any commas between the entries.
              • Does this KCFinder work within FCKeditor or with TinyMCE ? I have just discovered today that my hosting company has block FCKeditor software due to security vulneribilites and I’m just wondering if this would be a good alternative? huh
                  Helen Warner
                  Number one pixel!
                  Proud to be linked with MODX at Crimson Pixel
                • TinyMCE. Notice the references to the moxiecode site; that’s TinyMCE.
                    Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
                    Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
                    Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
                  • Thanks for that Susan and I’ll take your word on the "notice the references to the moxiecode site". laugh

I give this a go and see how I get on.

UPDATE: Cool got this working both by adding images to content and via TVs - looks very slick. Just one question how do I configure the route to where my images are? I have already set this up in Tools -> Configuration and haven’t changed the location since the MCPUK was blocked, what am I missing in the code?
                      Helen Warner
                      Number one pixel!
                    • How do you configure the path so that it shows where your images are? I’ve tried various things but it either ruins the plugin or it goes no where. I realise I can upload images to the new path but I would like to be able to specify the path where all the images are currently loaded. Which parameter to I change?

Many thanks huh
                        Helen Warner
                        Number one pixel!